You could buy a new 458 Italia but instead ... | FerrariChat

You could buy a new 458 Italia but instead ...

Discussion in '308/328' started by effer, Jan 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    It is interesting to ask ourselves if we would prefer to buy one brand new expensive exotic car or several ones less expensive for the same amount of money.

So let us suppose you could buy a new 458 Italia. What would you do?

You go for it or instead, you buy several other cars? Of course, as we are distinguished members of the 308/328/Mondial subforum, we must at least choose one of these Ferrari model!!!

Your thoughts about this?

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #2 jimshadow, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    MSRP= $240,000. Assuming that's what I have to spend, I would.....

Buy a 360 Modena ~$90K

Buy a 512TR ~$100K

Start the rotisserie restoration of my 308GT4 with the leftover $50K

JIM

3. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    There are several other cars that I would like to have prior to a new Ferrari. I could have ALL of them and a garage to put them in for that much money...

Aaron

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Assuming I had $200k to spend on cars that are nothing more than toys, I would rather have several $50k cars than one $200k car.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Why stop at a 458? Why not include a BMW M 6 convertible or a Merc SL AMG? There are many, many cars that cost more than a 308 -- and people buy them in groves everyday.

I've had 2 308's and 1 246 Dino gt. Now I have an F430 spider and will get a 458.

I like the cars I've owned... even loved them. But, I like the new ones for completely different reasons.

I thought seriously about getting another classic for the money that I paid for a new F430. But you buy classics for completely different reasons than modern cars. Classics are fun, nostalgic, iconic, and an interesting hobby. They have character.

New cars have exhilarating performance, better creature comfort, more reliability (on average), and fewer inherent engineering issues (overheating, poor electrics, poor brakes, etc).

So, I went for performance and would again. Call me stupid but I like blasting a fantastic car away while the AC works on a hot summer day.

People may pass up my F430 at a car show, but standing around it on a Sunday afternoon with a diaper in my hand while people take photos of my car is not my cup of tea (no offense to those whose boat that floats!) when I can be out driving it on the open road.

6. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Down payment on a Veyron & finance the rest? lol

j/k... for me it would be a 2 or 3 y.o. 612, and bank the difference.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I could see a Dino 246 GTS and a 512TR. Daytona wouldn't be attainable, or at least not a nice Daytona.

Or a Porsche 356 Speedster and a 328 GTS, two of the major icons.

Actually I'm just not in love with any of the newest Ferraris, so it's not hard for me to pass up the 458.

8. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    The 458 Italia is the first V8 Ferrari that I really like since the 308. The 360/430 do nothing for me; I like the 355 but it's just the wrong car from the wrong era and has too many issues.

If I could buy a 458, whether I would or not would have to do with my net worth; if it was a small percentage of my overall net worth, and the 458's depreciation wouldn't affect my overall financial picture too much, then I absolutely would. I wouldn't let go of my 308 GTBi, though. :)

If you asked me which would I rather have, a 308 or a ______, my answers would be as follows:

308 vs 348 - I'd choose the 308
    308 vs 328 - I'd choose the 308 (slightly)
    308 vs 246 - I'd choose the 308
    308 vs 355 - I'd choose the 308 (somewhat close, though)
    308 vs 360 - I'd choose the 308
    308 vs 430 - I'd choose the 308
    308 vs 458 - I'd choose the 458! :)

That's how highly I regard the 458, and how true to Ferrari's heritage I think it is. Almost any Ferrari is an instant classic, but the 458, IMHO, is the next icon.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The MSRP is well above the offer I just put in on a house.

A 7 year old 2300 sq ft house on 7.5 acres with a 1500 sq ft shop.

Talk to me again in 10 years when they're 50-60K

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's not about $$$. If it were about $$$, none of us would buy any of these.

You can't put a price on desire anymore than you can put a price on family.

11. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Interesting! What colours?

Which ones?

I do tend to think like you. More cars seems to be more fun!!! It ives you the opportunity to enjoy different flavors and sensations!

I agree, we do not buy new cars for the same reasons we buy classic ones, thus making the choice a bit more difficult.

You are not stupid you just think like Sir Winston Churchill: I am easily satisfied with the very best. :)

Of course, I for myself would go for

1 308 GTB or GTS Red/Tan Euro
    1 F355
    1 Diablo

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the 458 (see http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251867), but at a certain point one has to look at the opportunity costs of these things. Really, that's the whole theme of this thread.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    True. But one has to look at the time they have left on this planet and decide for themselves: which will make them most happy.

Everyone answers that question differently -- and should.

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    328,355, 512TR

15. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I'd just buy the 458 and have one car instead of 3 or 4 others that will just sit around and rot.

Sure it's cool and "all that," seeing the endless car collections of the Sultan of Brunei wanna-bes on here, but in all honesty, unless you pay others to look after and drive your 14 cars, they're nothing but a demonstration in vanity and waste. They are anyway. I used to have "only" 6 cars and I barely drove any of them but drove one or two regularly. I got rid of them.

You can only really get to know so many cars well. The more you have, the less you can get to really know them.

16. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Ditto, except the TR would have to be a BBi so there would be a little less left over.

And of course, both would need to be BLACK!

Rick

17. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    That's about what I have invested in cars sitting out in my garage right now, and I have six cars, so, I guess I'd have to say I'd rather have a bunch (six) than just one! Seems like a lot more fun to me to have a variety of interesting and diverse cars. And, besides, I like to get dirty and I wouldn't have a clue where to start on a 458 (and it wouldn't need any tinkering either!).

Go with a couple older cars, avoid the depreciation, and leave some money in the bank.

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #18 JazzyO, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I absolutely adore the 458 and seriously thought about buying it. I plan to test drive it soon, maybe I shouldn't. But ultimately it's hard to exploit the car in this modern world and penalties are severe. So I bought this last summer. From the difference in change I'm having my 1974 Boxer restored (well, I'll have to add some to that). 550, Boxer, GTC, plenty of speed for me. But... I still love the 458... sigh.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Onno,

Funny that your post appears at the end: I'd do exactly what you did, buy a 330 GTC, keep the 308 (or sell it and get a Euro carb or QV GTB) and start saving for a 512BB.

The 166 Touring Le Mans Berlinetta will just have to wait a little. Did I mention my left arm is for sale? Want the leg too?

20. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I think I would have to consider a front engined V12. Probably a 550/575 or maybe a 456. I think that the chance to reasonably own a Daytona (my favorite V12) is long gone. I would definitely consider a TR, but as I already have an 80s Ferrari I would like something different.

Non-Ferraris I would consider might be a '69 Trans Am or a '73 Trans Am 455SD. I have always wanted a '69 Corvette too. An '89 Trans Am Turbo or '87 Buick GN would be pretty cool to have too. I realize these are non-exotics, but they are pretty easy to work on and are iconic in their own way.

PDG

21. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd go for a 360 spider and treat my 328 to complete restoration. Then I would proceed to drive the wheels of the 328.

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm with you guys on the Boxer. It's like the 308's bulked up big brother. Mine would need carbs.

Can I get an F40 for 458 money? :) That's my Ferrari dream car. I also like the 360 spider--my favorite open-top Ferrari.

I also have to admit, in recent years I have come to love the lines of the 348 TS.

But I would never sell my 308 for any of the above, so I guess I would have to keep some money in there for another garage.

Birdman

23. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I'd go classic. I really like the 458, especially in profile, but it just doesn't make sense for me. For the money, I'd probably pick a 330 GTC or something similar. I just like old cars.

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I've never been interested in having multiple cars other than when I was drag racing and had various Mopars at different times as the "race car" (not street-driven). My 328 is my only car and I am not interested in replacing it with a "newer" Ferrari. BUT if forced to do so I'd go with the 355 despite all the issues that the Ferrari techs say they had with valves. It's the last Ferrari that looks to me like a Ferrari - not as pretty as the 328 but still attractive. The 288 GTO would be my ultimate Ferrari but I don't think it's at all "practical" on the street but I could be wrong about that, never having seen one.

25. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Wow Jim are you saying they are only US$240k over there, thats very cheap. They'll go for around $650k Aussie here which at the moment is around $649k US. :p :p

I must say however that I think Ferrari have got the shape right. I think the 458 will become a classic like the 308. They lost the plot after the 355 IMO and its good to see a truely beautiful car. Just my opinion of course.