2000 360 & service history | FerrariChat

2000 360 & service history

Discussion in '360/430' started by Spurkey, Jan 29, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spurkey

Spurkey Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    Nanaimo, BC
    I'm looking at a 2000 360 Modena with 11,000 miles on it. The car includes all service records, has had a PPI done on it in the last month, has no accident history and has had the variator updates completed. One thing though is that the seller claimed that the "30K service was done 2 years ago", yet the car only has 11K miles currently. I couldn't find a detailed maintenance schedule in any old posts, should I be concerned with that they performed it that soon? What other updates or service-related questions should I be asking? The seller isn't willing to send me the PPI nor the service history unless "I decide this car is of serious interest".

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Tell him that you need to see the receipt for the 30K.. If not assume that is was not done.

R

3. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Well I presume you are serious or else you are wasting your, his and our time :)

So ask for the records.

I'm not sure about focusing on service titles; I'd hope to see the 360 had a major (belts etc.) every three years and a minor (fluids etc.) every year.

4. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Ferrari claims that a complete service should be done in either 30k miles or 3 years - whichever comes first. So a year 2000 car should have had a few of them by now. Personally I think it's unnecessary to have multiple major services if you have a car with relatively low miles. I would expect a 11k mile car to have one or two at the most. Whatever the case there should be records of the service having been done - either with the seller or from the service department to confirm the work. If there are no such records then his statement is worthless.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Good post. I agree with fluids yearly, or there about and you should get the records.

Major every 3 is a different story. Honestly doesn't matter much so long as it was recent or you account for it in the price. In reality it doesn't matter if they replaced the belts every 3 yr so long as they didn't break. It is kind of like tires: doesn't matter if they ran the last set down to the cord so long as it has fresh rubber now, alignment is good, and they didn't crash the car.

6. Spurkey

Spurkey Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    Nanaimo, BC
    #6 Spurkey, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Well, I was *actually* looking for a Miata, then I saw this car with a cute little horsey on the front and just had to know more.... ;) :)

I've talked to the seller again since and apparently the car's missing a black fob (it has 1 red & 1 black) as well. The fluid service needs to/should be done every year? I searched for "fluid service" & "annual service" and didn't come up with a lot of good results - most were people talking about having one done but not specifically what was in one.

EDIT: from what I can tell it seems to include the F1 hydraulic, transmission fluid, and coolant. Are all of those purely time-based or is there a distance component as well (ie: 1 yr or x,000 miles). 12 months seems like a pretty short lifespan for tranny oil & coolant...

7. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Yeah, but it is a Ferrari. It is design to exacting specifications and it performs at the extreme of tolerances. If you want her to love you, then you must love her!
    That's not too bad for Ferrari ownership (and usership!). It certainly can't hurt.

8. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Let's see-- 11,000 miles in 9 years is ca 1200 miles per year.

Chemical reactions that degrade coolant occur more rapidly at high temps. So sitting in the garage the coolant will degrade very slowly

The idea that modern synthetic gear oil needs to be replaced after 1200 miles of street use is absurd.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is an active thread on antifreeze. They are debating that very subject. The problem isn't that it will freeze. The problem is that the resistance to electrolysis & corrosion goes down so the radiators fail prematurely.

As for gear oil, I can tell you that the 360 is VERY hard on gear oil. I assume the heat from the cats (right next to the transaxle) contribute to early failure of the oil. I can tell you from experience that it doesn't last that long and you should change it annually. That isn't to say that every 2 years would be a problem but if the change in the oil slow shifting you risk transmission damage. That, is much more expensive than the minor cost of changing the gear oil.

10. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Good point on the belts, never thought of it that way. Sort of like saying "so was it insured its entire life?" irrelevant if the risk exposure wasn't yours :)

11. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    Smartass :)

Red is more important than black. I'd be okay with one of each of those colors. I didn't get the red with mine and it's a minus point.

12. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What I am saying is that changing the antifreeze and gear oil at the same interval for all cars is illogical.
    A car that is driven 3 hrs a day every day, and hence has its coolant at 190deg and gearbox oil hot that much cannot logically experience the same degradation in those fluids as a car that gets driven 100 miles a month (maybe 2 hrs?).

If the gearbox oil needs to be changed after 1200 miles in a year because it has been overheated by the cat then it should be changed every 1200 miles regardless of time.

How was "annual" arrived at? Someone made an arbitrary decision. People should look at the use the car gets and make their own decisions.

13. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Agreed

14. Spurkey

Spurkey Karting

Jan 15, 2010
    Nanaimo, BC
    *sigh* Yeah, I get that a lot... :)
    This is my thinking as well - oil degrades with use, nowhere near as much with just time. I probably should've phrased my question better: after what mileage should the fluids be changed? I'm expecting/hoping to put ~5-6,000 miles on the car in a year, is that sufficient be contemplating multiple fluid changes (obviously other than engine oil) per year? These will largely be highway miles, the only "track days" it may see will be at a 1.09 mile 9-turn kart track and at AutoX events in parking lots.

15. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you are putting that many miles on the car you might want to change all the fluids annually. But the Ferrari is just loafing at legal freeway speeds and yet has enough cooling air flow that the gearbox should not be overheating. I drive my M3 about 7M per year and change the oil every 4M, the coolant every 2 yrs, the brake fluid annually, and the differential every 30M. It has an auto tranny with "lifetime" fluid that cannot be changed, but if it had a manual gearbox I would probably change it every 15M.

When I called Ferrari of Beverly Hills about my Dino they recommended annual engine oil and brake fluid changes, coolant every 2 yrs.

A lot of this has to do with how you drive the car. If you floor it at every stop light, cruise on the freeway at 7,000 rpm when you could be at 3000 because you like the sound of the engine, etc, you could in fact overheat the gearbox and engine oils and require more frequent changes.

Hope that helps.