Ferrari Historic Challenge is now history | FerrariChat

Ferrari Historic Challenge is now history

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Feb 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In a letter dated January 22, Antonello Coletta (Ferrari SpA) announced the suspension of the Shell Ferrari Historic Challenge in Europe after 14 years. One event will be organized for historic cars at the World Finals, and they will work on "new types of events" for the future.

Following the Cavallino Classic, Ferrari North America has not scheduled any further events for the North American historic series, although no announcement is being made to drivers. It's possible that there are plans for historic races at the Ferrari Club of America event on Labor Day, in direct conflict with the Lime Rock Fall Festival.

Marcel Massini

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Sad to hear the demise. Unfortunately I never got the chance to see these events myself, hopefully the "new types of events" will bring us some historic racing because these beauties need to live on the track.

Onno

3. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Actually this might be a good thing. Without the involvement of the factory there might be someone else who could start a new series. And at the old circuitex like Spa, Nürburgring and Silverstone (they're close to where I live so I'm a little biased ;)

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Does anyone know the reason for this decision?

Jack.

5. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    My guess....$$$$$.

6. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    The theory I was told was that the required Classiche certification drove away some potential participants. Combined with the state of the economy there just were not enough cars entered to make the series worthwhile.

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    There are NUMEROUS reasons for this. It's sad to see it happen though.

Classiche was part of it. The politics. The costs. The mis-steps. Many owners participated for YEARS and tried to support the series. They made constructive, positive suggestions that seemingly fell on deaf ears. It's just too bad. There are plentiful alternatives, though, and after the experience of the HC, I'm sure many owners see more interesting venues elsewhere.

An example...

Just this year, F40LMs were accepted. The hope was that they'd increase the grid size. There are probably under 50 of these cars in total, and fewer than perhaps 10 in the US. At Cavallino, there was ONE in the HC. Yes, just one. For years, 333SP and the more recent 360GT/N-GT owners have been interested in bringing their cars to the table. Sadly, the HC wouldn't accelerate their entry.

CW

8. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  9. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    the new markets like china and middle east change the rules, today it will be easier to see something as a historic challenge in Abu dabi.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Next year we will probably see an increase in the number of vintage cars running on the track during Cavallino week as a result. That makes me happy.
    Marcel, nice to meet you on Thursday at the Breakers. Don't remember? I thought you were French, that should help (sorry about that)!
    :)
    BT

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #11 CornersWell, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Just received an email from the head poobah of the US HC. His contract has expired. He directs all inquiries to the racing coordinator at FNA. A sad day. To the best of his knowledge, there are no planned events in '10. However, the Rahal-run Legends of Motorsports Series looks like it may pick up where FNA left off. There are three events in '10 (Barber, Glen and Tremblant).

CW

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Forward my regards to 'H. Poobah'!

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #13 Texas Forever, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Dates?

Dale

PS BTW, Dave. Too bad. Too damn bad.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Dale,

From their website...

May 20-23, 2010 : Barber Motorsports Park

June 10-13, 2010 : Watkins Glen International

July 8-11, 2010 : Circuit Mont-Tremblant

From what I can learn, it's pay-in-full for all 3 events in advance. Which, honestly, may not be the best model (FNA tried this with the Challenge Series...EXPENSIVE, and problematic for many reasons). Three events in under 60 days? And then, ten months of ... nothing? I'm hopeful that events will be added, but for vintage and historic guys, it's not like we can call up the factory and order a new part overnight. If anything goes wrong (unless you have spares), you're probably out for at least the next event (which you've already paid for!).

CW

15. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    Just want to thank David for running the Historic's. I am sad to see it over. Even though I was involved for a short time, it is my view that David is a class act! You will be missed and were indispensable to Ferrari and the enthusiasts.

The historic's is now history. I'm sure the automotive historians will be talking about the good old days and the events for the next 100 years.

16. MarkL

MarkL Karting
    Owner

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    +1

Sad day.
    Well done David