"Friend" trying to sell me something, it bugs me. | FerrariChat

"Friend" trying to sell me something, it bugs me.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tundraphile, Feb 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Does it make anyone else uncomfortable when a person you have known for some time, and like and respect, tries to sell you something out of the blue? I got a call tonight from a co-worker, a guy who I know reasonably well and I really like him. Or is that liked him? He goes into this sales pitch for something called Team National, I can save money on carpet cleaning, and jewelry, and a bunch of other crap I don't buy.

But even if it were for things I bought all the time, I wouldn't have been interested. Too good to be true...always is. After listening to the pre-recorded spiel and then having him come back on the line and ask if I was interested, I told him I would look into it and let him know if I wanted more information. Of course I knew wouldn't be interested, and after looking up this particular pyramid-ish MLM business it confirmed it to be exactly what I suspected it was from the start.

My intention is to let him know (politely) tomorrow that I have no interest in pursuing this matter any further. But I think what bothers me the most is who it was that was trying to sell to me.

Anyone have a situation like this before?

2. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I can't think of anyone who personally has done that to me, but the guy I'm seeing had a friend want to sell him some steaks so to help the guy out he bought a box of steaks for $200. And they were tough and dry. I'll do something to help a friend out but MLM stuff bothers the hell out of me and I'd probably feel like you do. I'd just say not interested.

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a couple of times. I just say "No" immediately. If they say "But..." I say "I'm not doing it, stop asking". Unless it's an F430 for $100k.

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Been there, done that. In my experience, a respectful and firm "no" usually solves the problem and prevents similar offers from popping up again. Repeat offenders don't tend to stay in contact, for some reason. ;)

5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I find it equally annoying when friends assume you will donate to their charity of the month. I never ask for money directly, and I don't expect my friends to either. If they ask, I just firmly tell them that I already have my charitable donations picked out and it's all been taken care, thanks. Then I wish them luck in raising money.

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yeah, I'll never forget just after graduation, a guy from High School, Russ, mentioned something during a 20 second, tops "conversation" about income and whatnot . . . showed up at my door two days later in a monkey suit and was incredulous as to "where are the others? Didn't you invite anyone? Can you call . . .?" - I handed him a cold "Lowenbrau" and asked him if he was 'hawking Amway or Shaklee'. Dumbass.

Damned if I didn't run into him the next day at the tennis courts while I was playing a last set with the Valley Singles Champ who was a sworn enemy of Russ's . . . "So, did ya think about it?" 'Well, no.' "IT'S YOUR FUTURE!" Oh, how we laughed.

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Seems like the guy is taking advantage of the friendship to coerce you into some MLM crap. Shut him down immediately with the typical "no thanks!" Repeat if he keeps it up.

8. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Similar thing is going on with one of my relatives on Facebook. They are trying to sell some weight loss crap, to the family and friends. I quickly defriended them, and when they asked why, I told them they were just trying to use us as a captive audience to hawk their garbage.

9. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I used to work at a Pontiac dealership as a Special Finance Manager. I became friends with the GM. Both of us left the dealership. He went on to open his own insurance agency. Every time he would call me after having opened the agency seemed like a sales call. I finally just ceased communication with him.

10. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    My own sister does this - she always gets involved with pyramid schemes & talks the entire family into getting me to sign up because "it's your sister". I always refuse, pissing the lot off. You'd think they would learn that family & friends are NOT prospects!!!

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't get it at all.

What kind of person do you have to be to even feel comfortable asking your family and friends to buy something?

I'd tell my friend to f**k off.

12. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    MLM's are cults. They all teach they're cult members to hit up friends and family first. He will probably be in another one before too long. Don't give him too much grief. He's probably just trying to make an extra buck in this ****ty economy.

I have a friend like him who sends me his latest and greatest MLM BS every couple years. I just ignore it or make Jim Jones jokes or laugh and ask how he parks his car in the garage with all that soap in there? He gets it and drops it. I've known him for 30+ years so it's not going to change my friendship with him.

Bottom line: If he's a good/old friend and you want to keep it that way, tell him to stop recruiting you and he probably will.

13. NomadM3

NomadM3 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    Damon
    Bingo. A buddy of mine cooerced me into going to a Primerica meeting with him. They specifically tell their "members" to go after friends and family, hence why I was there. Thank god the kid was just as easily talked out of it by me as he was into it.

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    WOW! Brain dead typo! I need a Rosetta Stone course! Anyone gotta lead? :D:D

15. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Primerica is the worst.

16. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Probably not much of a friend...my friends would rip me a new one and send me all kinds of links that explain why it's a scam to make me feel dumber for even suggesting it.

17. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ug! There is a guy in our neighborhood that rents a place just to "network"... which is code for drive everyone crazy with his MLM crap. He's been here for 5 years now, and it seems like every few months I hear about him being tangled up in POS company. I've wondered how many times he can be told "no, I don't do MLMs" before they get the picture? Apparently the answer is more than about 20, because I've eclipsed that!

18. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
    I have had many friends try to hook me into MLM crap. One guy whom I was merely an acquantance with borrowed $4k to join one. He then tried to tag me in by telling he saw the company presidents F40 and F50 side by side. Yea, because he is at the TOP of the pyramid dude.

I've found that "No", "No thank you" and even "f*ck off!" don't work. Whenever anyone tries to get me into this stuff, I tell them after they have made their first million to come back and show me what they did and I will sign up right then and there. As yet not one of them has come back.

I'd rather use my degree to earn good pay, invest my money and make it work like a dog for me. Read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" to learn a bit.

19. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS