Air Compressors / Sand Blaster | FerrariChat

Air Compressors / Sand Blaster

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 285ferrari, Feb 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I am looking for advice from the experts out there. I am in need of a small media/sand blaster to strip paint off of small handheld parts. I have a Craftsman air compressor and don't want to upgrade unless I have to. It is a 26 gal., 1.6hp, 160 psi max, 6.3 cfm @40psi, 4.9 cfm @90psi compressor. I have been looking at something small like the one below.

http://www.equipmentland.com/products/cyclone/e500.shtml

Will my air compressor be ok with this blaster? I woud only be using it 3-4 times a week, not everyday and all day. Maybe 30 minutes here and there... Don't want to spend a ton of money, but would like something that works well and doesn't run outta air after 30 seconds of using it....

2. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    The biggest issue will be your compressor. At the size you noted it will run alot trying to keep up. Also at 4.9 @90cfm is almost 1/2 the output needed for cabinet. I have a 10hp 40 gallon that I have to let catch up after about 15 min of constant use.

Check out this forum if you have not already. Tons of great info. for garage equipment ( compressors and blasters) . Alot of down to earth guys that may have a good solutions. There are also some threads where people have constructed their own blast cabinets.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Blasting is by far the biggest air user in the shop. There is no such thing as too big. If you are undersized you will get a minute or two of blasting followed by a longer waiting period, meanwhile the compressor runs the whole time.

Buy the biggest one you can afford.

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    4.9cfm @ 90psi is less than you would like to ideally have, but it will work.

You won't be able to blast continuously with that compressor but for a small part you would be able to blast it no problem, and for a larger part you may have to stop every minute or two to let the compressor catch up.

Since you already have the compressor I would say get the cabinet and try it out - if the compressor comes on too much then you could look at upgrading it.

The other thing you can do is add a larger tank. So you could get a 100-gal air tank. The compressor will run for a while to fill it, but you may get 5 minutes of continuous blasting before the compressor comes on again.

Also, you will want to seal that cabinet up with silicone caulking before you use it, or else it will leak dust everywhere. Be SURE to use a dust mask and you can use a shop vac as a dust collection system. Don't wanna be breathing in the dust, plus you will get gritty snot if you try to breathe through your nose :D

5. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Thanks for the replies fellows