Tag Heuer Service Rip-off | FerrariChat

Tag Heuer Service Rip-off

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Racerfred, Feb 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Back in September I send in my Tag Heuer Carrera to get serviced. The watch was running slow so I thought it was time to service it. I sent it to Tag Heuer in NJ. The repairs comes to over $500 (including $108 for a new bezel - ouch).

I do not get the watch back until sometime in December. All is fine until January when for no reason the Crown falls off the watch. I send it back to Tag Heuer expecting them to repair the watch at no cost since it was under warrenty from the first repair.

Today I get an estimate to replace the crown - $230 + tax. Are they out of their mind? Part of the cost was $185 for maintenance that I just had done. I called them and they said that the crown was not part of the original repair so it is not covered. I explained to them that I never touched the crown since getting the watch back. Their response was how do we know that you did not drop the watch and damage the crown.

I am furious over this. If they stick to this estimate I will tell them to shove it and send me the watch back and I will have it repaired locally.

Be careful about using the Tag Heuer service center.

Fred

2. tbm311

tbm311 Rookie

Sep 21, 2005
    Bay Area
    Good to know, I need my Tag serviced soon. Where are you planning to send it locally?

3. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    If Tag Heuer does not fix it I will take it to the store where I purchased it. They have a repair department in the store.

4. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very interesting, I bought a Tag back in April and spent an extra $100 on an extended warranty, I figured that I saved 60% off the retail price I might as well get a warranty just in case. The saleswoman did tell me that Tag covers nothing but the movement under their warranty, and this covered the entire watch. I ended up thinking it was a bad idea then but now I wonder.

5. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    #5 racerx3317, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    I bought a used Tag on ebay and as soon as I saw it I knew it had water damage. So for my own info, I took it to Ron Gordon in Manhattan. He confirmed that my suspicion was correct and I asked him for a price for a restoration since I didn't pay that much for it. The price was very reasonable but in the end we didn't do the job because of a part he couldn't get anymore (it was an old digital S/El). I was impressed by his honesty because he could have just replaced the hands which were slightly oxidized, cleaned it up a bit and I would haven't known.

6. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    A friend sent his Omega Speedmaster to service in Sweden, USD500-600 (X-ch rate fluctuations). I serviced my Monaco, some USD500.... So it's a lot of money, but that is what it costs, I am afraid. If you do not want the problem, buy a quartz

7. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I had a similar problem with Tag in Nj, I sent my link to them for service and when I got the estimate it included a new bezel, I called and wanted to know what was wrong with the bezel and was told that the seal under it had been damage, did not know what to do cause it needed service so I opted to have it all done final bill was over $450 , last time I sent it to Tag, now I need a button replaced and am trying to find a place to do it, everyone so far is telling me I have to send it to the mfg. I don't want to, any options in the NC Charlotte area.

Wade

8. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    A friend sent his Omega Speedmaster to service in Sweden, USD500-600 (X-ch rate fluctuations). I serviced my Monaco, some USD500.... So it's a lot of money, but that is what it costs, I am afraid. If you do not want the problem, buy a quartz

The issue was not the original invoice. The issue is that they somehow damaged the crown when it was in the shop for the 1st service and wanted to charge me $249 to fix their mistake.

They came back to me and will repair it for parts cost only - $49. That is what I am having done.

Fred

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Buy a replica instead... it will last longer.

10. speedin

speedin Karting

Feb 24, 2008
    Houston/Mexico D.F.
    Full Name:
    Angel
    The crown fell of my Formula 1 back in December, foolishly tried to fix it myself, and broke some stuff on the inside of the watch. Took it to the service center and said that the damage was pretty bad on the inside. Got a similar estimate, although i think mine was closer too 300 USD. However they told me that it was still under warranty, so even though it was sent off to Switzerland I am only going to have to pay around 30 USD to cover the cost of the actual broken crown and maybe some other smaller pieces that broke.

11. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    You being frustrated and annoyed with them is very understandable. It sounds like the person you were dealing with at the service center was not too knowledgeable about watches and had the "take or leave it" attitude. Don't assume because the person works for a watch manufacturer or even sells watches for a living, that they know ANYTHING about watches.

Just to play devil's advocate (and I used to run a repair center for high end watches) here is their perspective

They didn't do anything to the crown on the last service, so they feel no obligation there. Crown's just don't fall off. They usually fall victim to people fat fingering them, winding the watch while it is on the wrist or getting them caught on something without the user being aware.

The reason they feel they need to charge to re-service the movement is this - even a minute amount of dust etc can ruin the movement's performance. When the crown came off, it created a path directly to the movement for what ever was floating around in the air.
    They will re-service the movement to be sure nothing got caught in the fresh oil in the watch.

I am presuming this is a chronograph? If so, it has a ton of parts that need to be taken apart and cleaned then reassembled and re-oiled and timed.

Since they have to warrant their work, and the work takes a while to perform, they charge for it.

This situation would have been the same with Omega, Breitling etc etc etc.

12. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have sent my Tag in twice. They always send it back with no trouble found.
    It looses a day a month. I will never buy another Tag watch.

13. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I lost interest in Tag after learning it's Obama's watch of choice, and that they use a generic Swiss movement.

14. Dirty69

Dirty69 Rookie

Nov 19, 2008
    You point being what?

15. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I finally got my watch back. Tag agreed to repair the watch for the cost of the parts. Appox $50.00. The watch is working as new.

Regarding the comment about Tag's position on the crown. I agree with what you are saying. I am sure they get alot of watches that were abused. I never touched the crown on my watch when I got it back the first time. When the crown fell off, I immediatly sent it back so I doubt there was any issues with the movement. It is a tough situation for Tag. They do not know what I did or did not due to the watch.

What really upset me was the way they treated me.

Fred

16. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Your watch looses an hour a day?????

17. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    My wife has worn a Tag for approx. 10 years now and it still keeps great time. Maybe we were just lucky.