Ferrari progression questions | FerrariChat

Ferrari progression questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrayTA, Feb 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    #1 GrayTA, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    A question for my 3X8 brothers:

Typically, I have heard of the 3X8 as a "starter" Ferrari. In light of that I would like to ask the following questions just out of curiosity.

1. Would you view a transition to a Testarossa, TR, 512 as step up OR more of a lateral transfer? (asked because these two were co-produced and not too far away in current market price)

2. Would you consider moving to a 348/355 as a step up?

3. Are there any that you would consider a "step down"? If so, which ones?

4. Would you ever consider getting another Ferrari? if so, which one?

5. What other Ferrari would you consider going to?

6. What are YOUR thoughts about those that refer to the 3X8s as starter Ferraris?

7. Have you ever felt slighted by other F car owners because your car isnt as new as theirs or had as many cylinders?

8. If you HAD to get another Ferrari would you go with a 3X8 again?

Just some random thoughts I have had lately...no particular reason to ask these other than pure curiosity.

Thanks,

PDG

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1) No
    2) No
    3) Yes
    4) Yes
    5) Depend on the budget
    6) I agree it's a good starter
    7) never
    8)Maybe

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    bypassing the questions... I'm VERY happy with my 328 GTS. Well sorted,
    runs perfectly, love it, and I'm living within my means to own it (no payments).

So on balance, no to everything in my case. Couldn't be happier.

Jedi

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #4 GrigioGuy, Feb 4, 2010
    Probably would consider a TR an upgrade for the V12, except that I don't fit in them as well as the 3x8.

Tough question. I don't think the 348 is a step up, more a lateral move. The 355 is no doubt the better performance car, but the potential maintenance costs are worrying. I was offered a 6 speed GTB as a straight trade, but it already had valve smoke.

Yes, but I would still be happy to have them.

Yes

Now that I've repainted the 328 and have a new interior being installed, I'm thinking of a high mile 360 as a disposable Ferrari :)

Snobs who are more focused on cash than fun.

There are jackasses everywhere; some are in the Ferrari clubs. They have to live with themselves -- none really matter to me at all.

Yes

5. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I always wanted a 308 since I was a kid. Any other Ferrari would have not been "the" car. I will never sell it. I have thought about 355's, but they come with some serious maintenance issues per those who know more than I.

As far as other V8's, I do not like the styling of the 348 or 360. Buying a 430 seems crazy with equivalent performance available for less with far less cost of upkeep (thinking Rossion, Ultima, Noble, etc).

As far as the V12's, the 512 BBi is awesome in my book. The 456, 550, 575, 599, and 612 are okay, just don't do that much for me. Although, with the prices of 550's coming down, they are starting to be a bit more appealing - performance/styling for price.

Bottom line for me. The 308 is an amazing "value" for the joy (despite my car presently needing a new engine). Although, admittedly, one day I might lose my mind and get a 355 GTB or GTS, yellow, 6 speed.

6. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #6 jimshadow, Feb 4, 2010
    A 512TR might be a step up, but the better scenario would be that it would make a good garage mate for my Dino GT4!!!!

Not a step up. My ideal situation would be my GT4 plus a 355GTS. :)

None. They are all special!

355/360

see above

I find that most of those guys don't know their heads from holes in the ground!

No, generally I find that most Ferrari owners are a good group of guys and for the most part they appreciate all Ferraris. But then again, I'm only inclined to hang out with those types.

HELLYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! The same exact car that I have now!!!

7. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    Bertone Fiat x1/9 is the starter car
    That leads to Mid Engined Ferrari--Mondial 8 is in garage next to 87 X.
    Future wants V 12 Ferrari 400? Testarosa?

8. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    1. I have no desire for a TR, would consider a 512BB a huge step up.

2. A very well sorted and reconditioned 355 would be a medium step up.

3. The 2v 308s and Mondials.

4. -Modern: 550 or 355
    -Classic: Carbed 512BB, carbed Euro 308, 308GT4
    -Vintage: 365 GTC/4, 330 2+2 Interim, 365GT 2+2 365GT4 2+2

These are in the upper, middle, and lower ends of my financial reach. Anything else is just dreaming.

5. See # 4.

6. Most of the time, they're right.

7. No. I can always find plenty of company in my ownership range.

8. Yes, an earlier carbed Euro model. I like 308s.

9. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    A 308 etc isn't and never was a starter Ferrari, that was something conjured up in the mid 1980's by the 911 crowd, or at least repeated by them a lot, to make up for their inadequacies of only owning a Porsche.

Doug

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    1. I consider them other models, no more, no less.
    2. In 1998 I "stepped up" from an '87 328 to a '94 348 TB challenge (street model) and almost immediately regretted and set about finding a 328 GTB. 355s are great driving cars but have so many issues.
    3. I just don't think of any models as up or down. I'm also a 430 owner.
    4. Yes, but don't have anything in mind right now. Nevertheless, the 328 GTB is a keeper.
    6. I don't hear this much anymore. In 1996 when I bought my first Ferrari ( an 84 QV GTS) they were definitely considered starter Ferraris. In recent years, most owners I know consider them keepers and quite a few, like me, have added other, more expensive models but plan to keep the 3X8 anyway.
    7. Early on I did, but not so much anymore. It could be that people know I also have a 430 but I think 3X8s have more respect now than 10 years ago.
    8. If I found a nice, black Euro glass car, I could definitely be sucked in even after having owned 3 308s and 3 328s. Obviusly I'm a sucker for the models. Meanwhile, my 328 GTB is most definitely a keeper.

Dave

11. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    Of course some people have a 911 and a 308 ;) because they appreciate qualities from both cars

I'm looking towards a 360 but wouldn't really think if it as a step-up other then the money. It's a shame there are various articles and tv programmes which suggest you can get a 308 on the cheap - this no doubt adds to the starter idea. Of course it's not true. In fact I reckon you can get a 400 over here for the same money and maybe cheaper than a sorted 3x8.

Lee

http://leegriffiths.blogspot.com/
    http://buying-a-porsche-993.blogspot.com/

12. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I acquired a 308QV because that was what I wanted, not what fit into the budget or other any other constraint. I didn't acquire the 308 because I wanted a Ferrari, I wanted specifically a Ferrari 308. For me, there was only one goal in mind - find and acquire the best specimen of '84 or '85 308QV.

1 - Transition - No. Add a 512Tr - would love to. But I won't give up my 308.
    2 - No.
    3 - I don't think you can really "Step Down" when acquiring a Ferrari. It's a different and unique experience, regardless of model chosen.
    4 - Yes - 512TR, 412i, 308GT4
    5 - See #4
    6 - If the 308 is deemed a starter Ferrari, then so is the 348, 355 and 360, and many others, just in their own time period.
    7 - Rarely, we aren't Porshe owners. :) But I have met a few of the "new money" or "daddy's money" crowd. But then I ask them how often they handle their maintenance and what kind of wrenches they prefer and such and that tends to thin out their machismo as most don't get their hands dirty.
    8- YES!. No question whatsoever.

Phil

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #13 MBFerrari, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    Well, since I came from a 348SS to a 308, I guess you know my answer about a "starter" Ferrari.

A move to a 12 cylinder car would be great, but is clearly a move up in repair costs.

If I get another Ferrari, it may be another 348 because that was my first and I really liked it, but if at all possible I am going to get this one "right" and keep it.

More likely to do that and buy another marque (Porsche comes to mind) to add to it as the wife wouldn't look too kindly on owning multiple Ferraris...:p

"I don't think you can really "Step Down" when acquiring a Ferrari. It's a different and unique experience, regardless of model chosen" - Phil (in post above). VERY well said. I am excited as much about my 308QV as I was about my 348 when I get in it to drive it. Completely different experience, but both are very cool.

MB

14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I think a lot of us 308 owners are a slightly different breed . I would bet for most of us it is not only a starter Ferrari but also the last one. We would most likely like to either get an additional one or two of the newer versions but you would move out of the affordable Ferrari market. Most of us not only like to drive them but also enjoy working on them. Then there is the cost to buy in and maintain the newer cars. As much as I would love to get an F40 I realize it is out of most of our price ranges. I don't worry about mixing with owners of the latest versions regardless if they have a bigger ego then I do. We all enjoy what we have which all comes down to the brotherhood. Enjoy the ride and if you can afford to move into another or higher priced ride then do it. Life is to short to miss your dream.

15. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug

Yes.

I like, and bought, my 308 because it is beautiful, the newer ones, which are much faster, do not have the same grace. I could afford a more *upscale* Fcar, but will probably never buy one

If I ever got another one, it would be a 308 that needed a new engine, then I would stuff a 360 motor in there. The hotrodder in me thinks it would be a cool project

Doug

16. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    TR's at cool, but not for me

Looked at 348's and 355's first for the modern conveniences, but just love the 308's more.

Not sure I know enough about other F car models to know what would be a step down, if there is one.

If money permitted, yes I would have another F car.

In hindsight I think I would go with another 308, but a GTB or a GT4. I love the top off driving, but would like less flex in the car.

I have never felt any "Snobby" behavior from newer F car owners.

Yes I would own another 308, I think the 308's are in my mind as the most beautiful of all their designs. This is the car I wanted.

HOW EVER.....
    Once I get in the position to acquire another play car, I may look into a restored 1979 Trans Am or a Countach.

17. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Here is my list of progression for cars........

1) Testarossa
    2) Carbed Countach
    3) McLaren F1 ;-)

....That is it. The 308 was first in the list. If I sold all my project cars I could probably get the Testarossa now. Countach is a stretch. McLaren F1 is the fastest pipe dream of all time..but who knows?!?

18. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    Thats funny, I went through a few X1/9's before my 308, and I still have my SCCA ITC X1/9 racer. After the 308, if I can't swing my ultimate(a 275 GTB/4 NART spider), I'm thinking a black 355 GTS non-F1.

19. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Neither.

In speed performance, yes. In driving feel and balance, no. Overall, no.

Other F cars in below "driver" condition.

Yes depending on budget and priorities.

As a Euro 308 replacement: 550 Barchetta or F50
    As an addition: F race cars - too many to list

See above.

Their entitled to their opinion. Wish them luck in their maturation as a "car enthusiast".

See #6 response.

Yes, an even better condition Euro 308. Or keep what I have and add an F race car. This is my second 3x8.

PDG[/QUOTE]

20. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Well said. I don't have a 911, but a 308 is one of several cars from that era that I own or have owned. Not all enthusiastic Ferrari owners are only interested in Ferraris. :)

That sounds a lot like me, too. :)

As much as I enjoy concours events and am curious about the supply and demand of old cars, driving and servicing them are as fun to me as showing them. :)

- TK

21. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.

Interesting questions!

First of all, I bought a Ferrari Mondial because I wanted one, not because it was an entry level Ferrari, I could have bought a 360 but I prefer much more the F355 and an Euro 308 ...

So my Mondial 3,2 Coupé is definately a keeper!

1- No

2- No but could see myself adding a F355

3- Yes but will only tell in presence of my lawyer!!! Even though that in the ABSOLUTE owning a second choice Ferrari is truly an embarassment of riches!

4- Yes, after my future Diablo I would be tempted to get a nice Euro 308 or a F355 and in a decade maybe a 458 Italia!

5-See previous question!

6-It is true actually, especially when you consider 308GT4 and Mondial 8, but in 20 years I believe things will be drastically different.

7-I do not know, never met such people yet but considering what I see here on F Chat and AutoparMarques, Ferrari owners tend to be enthousiast car nuts and thus respectful.

8- I LOVE the look of an Euro 308 and I am still attracted by a Mondial T ( Valeo perhaps!?! )

... and a Campagna T Rex and ...

:)

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A TR is a step up from a regular 308, 12 is better than 8 and man what a rush the boxer gives! BUT a euro drysump 76 308 is a different story, I would expect the best 512TR in a trade against such a 308 so it would be a lateral move there. I would not trade a boxer to get the above euro 308 no way no how forget it dont even suggest it. The boxer to me is THE ferrari (ignoring the 250's 275's etc), its the first and last of some pretty significant milestones for ferrari and honestly it just gives me goose bumps looking at it. Off topic, sorry :)

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think the 308 cars are the starter cars, but now maybe the 348 and 355 are becoming the starter cars.

the 308 328 cars are now becoming classics.

I have a 328, and love it. its not the fastest, but is one of the prettiest. and mine was made while Enzo was alive...

I would love a 355, but the mtns cost just put me off... so I think a 550 is the next car... not sure when but lets say in the next 5 years.

24. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #24 CliffBeer, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Very interesting responses/debate here. Like other folks, I don't view my 308 or my mondial as starter anythings, or a potential switch to a 12 cylinder as an "upgrade" Certainly the later 12 cylinder cars have much greater performance and incrementally greater sophistication, but the increased maintenance, costs, and weight are a "downgrade" in my book. Similarly the later 8 cylinder cars have better performance but all the gizmos on a 430 give me a headache and detract from the overall experience. If there's some other brain in the car that's actively monkeying with suspension settings or throttle application, well, that might make me look like a better driver to others, but that's going to be a less fulfilling driving experience for me.

I like the metal and rubber and leather feel of earlier ferraris over the more molded plastic and gadgety feeling of the later 348+ cars. The 308 interior is a masterpiece - the switch gear for example is a heck of a lot more charismatic than in a 360.

Different cars hold different appeal, one ferrari is not necessarily better than another...unless, of course, you're talking about a 250GTO or an Enzo....those are better cars than a 308....

25. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I am also enjoying these responses. I think its fun to see the diversity of the opinions over these things.

For me the 308 was the one that I wanted since I was about 9/10 years old. Before I got my car I would frequent a dealership in Europe that specialized in Ferraris. They got to know me quite well and eventually offered to let me drive ANY car he had in stock. This included the 348, 355, 360, Testarossa, and a 308. The 308 was obviously the slowest and least expensive of the cars there at that time, but it was THE one that I wanted. It was THE one I had dreamed of for almost thirty years at that point. So, thats what I chose. They were absolutely stunned that I would not choose one of the newer, higher performance cars. So, on that day I took out 308GTB Chassis #27009 as the first Ferrari I ever drove. I handled it like a baby and dont think I took the engine over 4k rpm or did anything at all other than enjoy the experience and listen to her sing, albeit mildly, just a few inches behind my head.

It was, and still is, my perfect Ferrari.

PDG