A Reasonable Testarossa> | FerrariChat

A Reasonable Testarossa>

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by WJGESQ, Feb 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
  2. RED TESTAROSSA

RED TESTAROSSA Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2009
    So. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Been following prices for some time. I would call the price reasonable. Considering it appears to have had a major service, although it does not indicate when. Mileage is on the lower side. I don't see it as a bargain unless you are specifically looking for a single mirror car, but this one has two! All in all it looks like a nice car.

3. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    A nice red '89 TR went under the hammer at the Mecum Auction in Florida last weekend for $48K. Not sure of the mileage.

4. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Nedds a major. Big time since not mentionned that it was done recently.
    And even if it said so, I would be sceptical. Ask me how I know.
    2 flying mirrors...Mmm...
    PPI mandatory and substract cost of major from asking price if it turns ok.

5. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I know the fuse box, cats, water pump and clutch can be a source of issues, but which models-years has issues with the drive train? Seems like I recall hearing about a few models that had very expensive diff/transmission replacement issues---to the tune of 12-15K? Does this ring a bell to anyone or am I getting confused with another model?

6. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Every Tr from 85-93 has the potential to have a diff failure or fusebox meltdown. The diff was not upgraded until the very last 512Tr and all 512M. The gearboxes in the 512TR(92-94) were an improvement over the original TR gearbox.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    The second mirror was added and is completely worthless. The passenger pillar gets in the way of the driver seeing it at all. Purely cosmetic.

8. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    IMO the mileage is not low enough to justify what I call the 'time capsule' price, and as MOSS said above, why the compulsion to tool with adding a second non-functioning side mirror?

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

...what he said.

The fuse box has issues but now proper fixes are available.

Cats....all Ferraris have this potential issue. Just remove them....the TR is such an efficient engine that it passes smog without them. ( this is what I've heard....haven't gone through smog myself )

Waterpump....no issues I've heard of. When changing the seal, you really have to make sure you have the right one. If you're able to change the seal on a TR water pump means you have the skill to do an engine pull.....if you can pull a TR engine....you can handle the seal. :D

Absolutely no issues with the clutch. I've had my clutch rebuilt and am going through some issues myself but it's not due to the TR clutch design or original operation from new.

The TR is one of the most solid Ferraris out there.....a very bulletproof design. One of the best design features is the way the rads fans blow the air OVER the engine and out the back keeping the engine and all the surrounding components very cool. There is very little heat soak and less component wear

.....can't say the same for my Lamborghini :(

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

10. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I know this one, was my old one.

The last owner only put less than 1K miles in 4 years. It did have a 30K service, in 2001 !!

I sold it in 2005, it was a no stories car and perfect.

Recently spoke with the person I sold it to. He lost ALL the paerwork in a move.

Does have a tubi as well.

Make sure you d a PPI

11. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Hey--I have never seen Testarossa in Lakeland Florida. Nor a Lambo.

They have a great "Lake Mirror" car show though.

12. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I live on the south side. You will always see my TR and VT Roadster in and around the Sheppard / South Florida Ave. intersection area....daily drivers.

You will always see either the TR or VT at...

Blue Moon on Wednesdays....(Ladies Night)

Club 210 in downtown Lakeland on Friday and Saturday Nights.

The "Lake Mirror" show is a very large Hot Rod and classic car show....I don't even bother to go...no exotics.

At the same time, you have the Celebration FL. (Disney) show with all the exotics you could possibly think of.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

13. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
  14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I went three times and saw two red 308's and a 328....that was it.

Everyone was over at the Celebration FL. show.

....hmmm....never remembered a yellow daytona.....very nice!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !