A F430 Scud as my 1st Ferrari? | FerrariChat

A F430 Scud as my 1st Ferrari?

Discussion in '360/430' started by steve0601, Feb 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve0601

steve0601 Karting

Oct 22, 2009
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I have been wanting a Ferrari for many years. I have ridden in a F430 coupe and I was in Heaven. I thought that this was the perfect first Ferrari for me, but now I am leaning towards getting a Scud. Do you Ferrari owners think that a Scud is too much for a rookie?

2. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    No one is ready for a thing until he believes he can acquire it.

3. steve0601

steve0601 Karting

Oct 22, 2009
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I already believe, my question is would the Scud be too hard to drive for a rookie?

4. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I'm assuming you mean driving on public roads. Newer cars do not equal hard to drive. You'll be fine.

5. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed, I drove an LP640 all the time for a year and they are just refined automobiles with high horsepower output. They are Very easy to drive.

6. RDKJ

RDKJ Karting

Jul 2, 2006
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My Scuderia is my first Ferrari and I have had 0 problems driving the car. Surprising, the car is simple to drive. In fact, several of my friend who I have let drive say the same. The biggest distraction during the driving process is the attention you will receive.

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    The question is will you be able to control yourself - I had 3 Ferraris before I bought my Scud and I have to admit this is the hardest one to keep the speed down - it is a beast - blows away my 430, my CS, and of course my old 360. But, as they say, speed is safety. The Scud just temps you to do things that really should be reserved for the track. I have never been so happy and content with a car - it just blows my mind - if you can get one - do it tomorrow

8. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    it's a street car. yes of course you can handle it. get one, do it today!

9. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What other cars have you owned? Do you track your cars? What's your driving style? Of course anyone can drive a Scud. The reality is is that most of us only drive these cars maybe 2/10s, 3/10s of their capabilities. Even if you take it to the track, unless you are an accomplished driver, most of these high performance cars are way more capable than us novice drivers.

You may consider that a, dare I say, run of the mill 430 is plenty of car for just about all of us. Not that I wouldn't want a Scud if I could afford/justify buying one. IMHO it's more car than you really need on the street. I'm sure some of you would disagree...

Good luck with your decision. As long as you buy a Ferrari, you will be in a win win situation.

10. steve0601

steve0601 Karting

Oct 22, 2009
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Thanks for all the positive feedback on the scud. As many of you have said, most of you and most likely myself will never realize a Ferrari's full potential and there is no real way to justify the purchase of a scud, but we do many things in life that are just not justifiable.

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Any of the modern Ferraris will get you into big trouble on the street at 5/10ths, so if you don't do some track driving, you'll never get to enjoy the car safely. The pleasure of owning it will be mostly in the knowledge of what kind of car it is more than experiencing it. Also, a higher performance Ferrari always sounds enticing, but drive the model first. A Scud is not necessarily a "better 430", it's a different car on the 430 platform. A few people who loved 360's didn't stick with the Challenge Stradale. The noise, interior finish, rawness versus luxury, etc played a part. My wife tolerated the CS, but enjoyed the 430 much more, and she's just a little more comfortable with the Scud than the CS. These track versions are also not the best cars to take on long weekend drives. I know a couple of CS owners that turned their cars over because of these kinds of drivability issues.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    any Ferrari or HP car needs a driver with some maturity and self control. You can wrap a 355 or 360 around a corner just as fast as a 430S if you aren't paying attention, do something stupid, or don't respect the car (or simply just push it beyond its means).

Just be careful taking off that traction control :)

Ray

13. steve0601

steve0601 Karting

Oct 22, 2009
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Do any of you 430 scud owners feel the car is uncomfortable after say one or two hours of driving? Can you hear the radio when on the highway? Do the racing seats fit you? Or do you really care about comfort when you are just enjoying the fantastic driving experience?

14. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ferraris have radios?

Ray

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No soup (Scud) for YOU!!

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Actually, the 430S does have a radio... and you tune it to the frequency you like listening to with your right foot and the accelerator pedal :)

Ray

17. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Wrong atitude - disregard advice above - don't buy a Scud

18. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    If you are looking for creature comforts, don't buy a Scud.

It looks like you may be barking up the wrong tree.

Also, make sure you get some track time. You can get into tremendous amounts of trouble quickly if you don't know how the car should respond.

19. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    you should buy one.. maybe even two.

20. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    #20 fingolfin, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Funny you say that, because the LP640 acquired a reputation for being quite the widow-maker when it first came out. Glad you found it less of a handful than some less fortunate.

21. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    Since you drove the F430, don't you think you ought to get behind the wheel of a Scud and compare the two, especially if amenities like a radio are of any concern to you?

Just understand that a radio was about the last thing on Ferrari's mind when making the Scud.

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    A lot of times, on the highway, I have the window down so I can hear the engine. About the only time I have had the radio on, other than the several hours I spent trying to figure out how the stupid thing worked, is when I was pulled over, waiting for a traffic jam to clear.

The seats are not comfortable for me after 1-2 hours on the highway, just a little too firm, for that length of trip. The highway is NOT the measure of the car. I'd suggest a 430 spider or California if that's the main mission.

23. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Porsche buyers ask the same question about the GT3 and GT3 RS, most of them end up buying the right car, a 911 Turbo or a Carrera.

If comfort and radio are you concerns, the Scuderia is not for you, neither is the 360 Stradale. These two cars are unique from everything Ferrari has built in recent years, they are raw sport cars, light, nimble, and provide the best driving feedback. Same philosophy Porsche uses with the GT3 RS, the Lotus approach with the Exige S, BMW approach with the M3 CSL.

For comfort on 2 hours trips and nice stereo, Ferrari offers the 599 GTB. Great GT.

24. steve0601

steve0601 Karting

Oct 22, 2009
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    #24 steve0601, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks for the info, I was only thinking about a radio when stuck in traffic. The scud seats seemed to fit me well when I sat in them at a dealer, hopefully there will feel the same after an hour or so. I plan to take a test drive soon in a scud. I am looking for the greatest driving experience that you mentioned above; raw, light and nimble.

25. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just wanted to throw in that I've taken many long trips when I had my CS and a 4 hour trip in the Scud and have experienced no discomfort. You'll probably be able to make a more informed decision after your test drive. Best of luck. :)