Mclaren F1 pics | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Mclaren F1 pics

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Carsonp, Dec 13, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #551 4re Nut, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Saw those the other day - they are beyond awesome! I hope Ron Dennis sees them! :cool:

Same artist is working on an MP4-12C Longtail rendering right now too. :eek:

>8^)
    ER

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
  5. SaturnVUEguy

SaturnVUEguy Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    He wasn't even pushing the car either. Is that the understeer mentioned in that article comparing the F1 and Veyron?

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    A standard F1 understeers, then snap oversteers without warning. A friend who vintage races 917's (flat out mind you) had one for a while, and he thought there was something wrong with the F1's suspension, so he sent it back to Woking. They looked at it, and said "It's just like every other F1." He sold it not ~that~long after that. That may have been the plan all along...

7. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #557 Peloton25, Feb 5, 2010
  8. furious_ferrari

furious_ferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hey Peloton,

whats up with #01R? Is it currently owned by Mclaren? Where is it? How much is it worth? Any history after Le Mans?

9. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #01R is owned by McLaren, has been since the '95 LeMans if I'm not mistaken.

The royal family of Brunei has an exact replica of the car in their collection, I believe it's #09R

10. gregh

gregh Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Farnborough, Hants
    Full Name:
    Greg Hurst
    #560 gregh, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    It seems to rotate between Mclarens super-secret storage facility and the Tech Centre in Woking. It's potentially the most expensive Mclaren F1, due to is provenance, were it ever to be put up for sale, and it only raced at Le mans. After that it made a few appearances over the years at shows etc but not on a race track

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #561 Peloton25, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    What those two said...

No idea what its worth - GTRs are hard to price because there aren't a lot of places they can be used at the moment. I think we'll see a surge in their values when more historic racing events appear for that generation of racers. Clearly #01R should be worth the most being the first GTR and the LeMans winner.

The very last GTR (#28R) has been for sale in Japan now for two years at an asking price of (more than you can afford, pal) $4M and although its in perfect condition, that price seems difficult to justify. Perhaps the LeMans winner could sell for that or more to the right individual, but I don't think ron Dennis is quite ready to part with it.

As for where it has been - Goodwood in 1995, a week or so after LeMans, still dirty and scarred from the 24 Hour race. Then it reappeared at Goodwood in 1999 with a selection of similar cars. Then in 2007 it was displayed in the UK at the Autosport International show. Other than that, you might find it at the McLaren Technology Centre if you are lucky,

>8^)
    ER

12. SaturnVUEguy

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    See Erik, I am learning something from you after all! And my wife says I never listen or pay attention

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    One additional point on #01R - the factory had never sold that car to anyone. It was their development GTR for the 1995 season and used for spares at the races up until it was prepped for LeMans. They leased it to Motokazu Sayama's 'Kokusai Kaihatsu Racing' for the race, and brought in Lanzante Motorsport to run the car for them. Sayama brought the Japanese driver and McLaren made arrangements to recruit Lehto and Dalmas.

There was apparently a stipulation that Sayama could purchase the car afterwards, unless by chance it was the car that won the race. Guess what happened... :D

After the race, he purchased an F1 road car instead that should be #043, painted similarly in Black/Grey and it wears a "McLaren GTR" windscreen banner. It's been spotted once while in Japan when shown at the 2001 British Motorsports Show held in Yokohama, Japan.

Nine years is a long time to go between F1 sightings which leads me to believe the car doesn't get out much. :(

>8^)
    ER

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Erik,

Keep it coming, the pictures and information are great.

15. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Be careful what you ask for! He's barely warmed-up at this point.

16. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    LOL - yeah, it is getting a little out of control at this point. :D

Maybe half the number of files you see referenced there are images of various F1s. The rest all have some relation to the cars - perhaps magazine scans, diecast photos, memorabilia, videos and related literature I keep in digital form. I also have an extensive archive/library in print - both books and magazines that include the F1.

So we could go on for days and weeks just based on that, but I do better with Q&A type exchanges. :)

>8^)
    ER

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #567 Peloton25, Feb 5, 2010
  18. shredder66

shredder66 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Melbourne/Singapore
    Hi Erik, I will confess I don't know much about the Mclaren F1 and want to find out a little bit more about a particular car.

Firstly, I noticed you discussing the grey F1 with the "extra high downforce kit" a few pages back, the one now located in New Zealand. I was fortunate enough to view it at a motorshow a few years ago in Singapore when I was still living there, and it was a beautiful car.

I just want to find out more about the car in these pictures.
    http://www.exoticspotter.com/car-pictures/14856/mclaren_f1?ma=24
    http://www.exoticspotter.com/car-pictures/14857/mclaren_f1?ma=24
    http://www.exoticspotter.com/car-pictures/14858/mclaren_f1?ma=24

The pictures are of a grey F1 taken here in Melbourne Australia. I noticed that it has the same plates as the previously mentioned one - "MCL F1". To cut a long story short, is this same car, or is the colour and plates just a co-incidence? Are there any connections between these 2 cars and/or the owners? If this Melbourne one is a different one, would you be able to tell me a little bit about it and it's history? Cheers :)

19. ACP

ACP Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Anton
    Different cars. Different Country. Similar colour. Same plates. Confusing :)

The Australian car is based in Melbourne and the New Zealand car is in Auckland. The Australian car was originally in Sydney purchased new by a well known collector and involved in a well publicised accident by a 'mechanic' which at the time (and perhaps still is) the highest ever insurance claim for a car in Australian history.

Car was flown back to the UK for repairs and made better than new.

20. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #570 Peloton25, Feb 6, 2010
    Very good on the details Anton. I will add that this is chassis #009 and the original owner was Dean Wills. It is now owned by Barry Fitzgerald from Victoria, and I believe he owned or owns all the McDonalds in that area of the country.

So you could say he got his Big Mc' by selling Big Mac's, I guess. :D

Here's some other photos below - the first showing #009 as it was originally built in silver. I believe this photo was taken at the Melbourne Motorshow in 1997 when the car was still in its original condition. The second shot is the only one I've seen of the damage to the car after the accident - quite a hit but thankfully not a write-off. The final shots were snapped just before Wills sold it, showing the car wearing wheels painted to match its new Dark Silver paint that was applied when the car had been repaired by the factory. I wish they'd kept the car this way - I think it looks quite stunning. :cool:

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. ACP

ACP Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Anton
    Thought Tony Raftis owned it? Or did he have it in between?

22. shredder66

shredder66 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Melbourne/Singapore
    Thanks alot for the info both of you :)

Regarding #009, I Copied this from another forum:

This car is believed to be chassis #009, and is reportedly owned by Tony Raftis (who is/was the owner of Prancing Horse Racing i've heard). Its former owner was believed to be Dean Wills, former CEO of Coca Cola Amatil. Yes, #009 was the F1 was that crashed by a BMW Service tech in Sydney. The car was sent to Stowe Smash Repair before being flown back to Woking in the UK. It was repaired and returned to Dean, and is now probably owned by Tony Raftis. And it certainly is street registerable...

There are rumors that there is a White F1 in Australia, but it's never been seen or photographed or had its ownership determined. There were only 2 White factory F1's built and 1 has been spotted in Japan. The other remains unknown.

The actual numbers built were 7 Prototypes, 64 road cars, 28 GTR's (some of which have now been road registered), 5 LM's, 2 GT's and 1 spare car owned by McLaren Cars. A total of 107. There's probably less than 100 still in existence after the official crash test, and "unplanned" crash tests.

23. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #573 Peloton25, Feb 6, 2010
    Hey - I know who wrote that. :D He got his info from here: f1 in Melbourne

Raftis was the 'in between' who purchased it from Wills either in December of 2004 or quite early in 2005 and he then had the wheels repainted standard silver.

If you saw it at the Melbourne Grand Prix in early 2005 that was when Tony still had it. Later in the year, around September I think, was when he sold it to Barry, who should still have the car today. The thing I love about Barry having the car is he really uses it! There's maybe a handful of owners in the world like this - and he's not afraid to leave it parked just about anywhere. I think I have more pics of his F1 parked in random places like those ExoticSpotter shots than any other F1.

Here's one of the better places he's chosen to park it - Dutton Sporting Cars in Melbourne - photos by my friend Daan Hoffman in January 2008. :cool:

>8^)
    ER

24. ACP

ACP Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Anton
    #574 ACP, Feb 6, 2010
  25. ACP

ACP Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Anton
    I remember #009 being for sale about 5 years ago for AUD $2.7m.