Todt: licenses for team bosses, 3 & you're out, 1 term | FerrariChat

Todt: licenses for team bosses, 3 & you're out, 1 term

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Feb 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #1 jknight, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Good news is he's only running one term; he's reinforced the 3 miss rule and if no-show at China - they are OUT THE DOOR. Stefan GP needs to send their container to China (several people have said this). AND Andreas was correct with his post last night about the three races followed by another fly-away so they can't use the excuse they'll start in Europe.

Here's the latest from Todt....

Carol

(autosport)

FIA president Jean Todt is to continue his push to introduce licences for team managers in Formula 1 in the wake of the Renault race-fix scandal.

With former Renault boss Flavio Briatore and engineering director Pat Symonds having overturned bans from the sport in the French courts, a decision that remains subject to an FIA appeal, Todt has said action will be taken as a response to the matter.

Speaking to Gazzetta dello Sport about the subject, Todt said: "The Court of Grande Instance ruled we were wrong over the form, not the substance.

"There was an indisputable fact and there was proof - so much so that there was just a single vote against at the World Council. I will propose that the team managers, too, will have a licence."

Todt has also made it clear that he intends to stand for only one term as FIA president - after claiming that predecessor Max Mosley went on for too long.

"He's a friend," said Todt of Mosley. "But also as an enemy he did a super job for safety: nobody has died in F1 since [Ayrton] Senna, and [Felipe] Massa is back to racing.

"Everyone has his own style: 16 years at the helm are too many, it's crazy. No, I'm doing a single mandate; otherwise I wouldn't have time to do other things anymore."

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    He's making the right noises (so far).

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Buncha legalese.
    But wait ! Cant we charge for licenses ?
    Watch soon for licenses to change the tires.

4. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 You know I hate it when your right..:)

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I respectfully disagree. Seems to me they're going to license team principals so that if they ****-up said license can then be revoked without the mess that resulted from crashgate.

CYA? Legalese? Maybe, but many professional organisations license their members....

Cheers,
    Ian

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Seems to me to be reactive and unwarranted.

The FIA has a "bringing the sport into disrepute" clause already, and under this clause they could exclude any team they wished.

But they want the power to go further, the power to ban team bosses if they want, for life.

Why?

Purely as a retaliation against Briatore.

Should they also license all team members? What if an employee cheats (like Stepney or Coughlan or Symonds) - if they are not licensed, how would they be able to take any action on them?

This is just the FIA wanting to add a tool to their toolbox that can be used to threaten, cajole and force more people to bend to their will. Inappropriate and unwarranted, IMO.

7. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes I can go with that. However this mess had been caused by Mosley with his hard on for Flav, Flav got away with blue murder in the past, thats because he was mates with Mosley and even bigger mates with Bernie (still is) and from what I hear its Bernie that wants him back in the sport.

Todt is being clever IMO how he is laying the law down, Mosley had created and left a huge F-up to sort out, I'am just glad he not a Mosley puppet.

An interesting fact as regards to Flav :The lawyer used by Briatore – Philippe Ouakrat, Flavio’s sidekick Bruno Michel’s brother-in-law – had previously represented Mosley in his privacy actions in France and so knew many of the weaknesses that Mosley would have, having seen them from the inside in the previous legal action.

The FIA is on the back foot with this, and Todt wants to close the doors so the cheating folk stay out of the sport it seems to me.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Next you'll be begging him to stay on for more terms;

9. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Me thinks he will be asked, but not by me... Call it a hunch -Quasimodo...:)

It didn't take much to be a improvement on Mosley though did it!

10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Quasimoto (what ya couldn't afford a real moto?) the name rings a bell.

"Against our wills papa, against our wills!" he'll cry as another term is forced on him.

Sorry spent too much time with the mad dogs etc. today.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    A license gives the ability to control someone whom is not on your payroll.

Expect more.