2005 GranSport Updates | FerrariChat

2005 GranSport Updates

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by rob lay, Feb 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I figured I would give an update and list a couple minor problems I'm having now for feedback.

In summary the car has been awesome, I have put 18k miles on it with hardly any problems. It has been to the track once, long Crescent Rally twice, and some carbon clearing sessions around town. It looks great, 20 time rarer and more unique than all the Porsches and AMG's driving around, fast as heck, reliable, cheap and easy to maintain, room for 4 adults.

Complete list of prior problems...

1) Driver electric seat stopped working, dealer fixed under warranty.
    2) Underneath engine screen came through bolts, just had to bolt back up with larger washers.
    3) Check engine light came on once, dealer found a few existing codes, nothing in particular and after cleared errors haven't come back 5k later. Dealer said a few more days and light probably would have cleared on its own.
    4) Car real sluggish off line, had the P.I.S. adjusted which seemed to help, at this point after getting use to, not sure if computer has readjusted back again or what. Car still seems sluggish as heck to grab off the line unless I punch the hell out of it.
    5) Frameless windows noisy as heck cruising at speed - no fix but tissue paper.
    6) Seat inserts get "water stain" look where only fix is to spray entire seat to give a uniform "water stain".
    7) First set of tires wore on inside edges after only 7k miles. This set of tires I have kept the pressure higher hoping for more life.

List of current problems...

1) Side view mirrors electronic adjustment not working. I haven't even had time to check fuses, but that will be first.
    2) When colder hard left corners there are noises. Almost like rubbing, but not quite. When really cold seems like noise comes from all over. My guess is something in the suspension or hydraulics.

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    2006 GS with 29K miles.
    Oil changes and tires.
    (First 3k miles had a transmission problem they replaced under warranty.)

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mine was pretty similar (2002 Cambio spyder with 18K miles). Had new F1 pump, updated software, and clutch replaced by dealer at about 7K. Worked much better after that.

The first few days I had it, the top got stuck. Fixed by the dealer and never had a problem after hundreds of uses.

First month -- the alarm went off and would not stop. Dealer towed and fixed it. Never a problem since.

Replaced first set of tires because of cracks (not wear) at about 10K. Wheel alignment and retightened heat shield under exhaust that came loose. Hit a pothole and had to replace 2 front tires about the 16K mark.

Aside from that, it works perfect. The interior, paint, and body are just a good as the day I picked it up. The rear plastic looks good (shows a little wear) but for it's age, the top really held up well. Everything works on the car (mirrors, electronics, etc) and leaks nothing. The center clock keeps perfect time.

I've replaced 3 batteries in 8 years but I still have the original key fob batteries. Obviously, not driving it much had an expected effect on the battery life.

Honestly, I am completely surprised at how reliable this car has been.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh, forgot about that one and the most expensive!

8. Low profile tires and wheels that stick out past tires has caused 3 wheel repairs and 5 refinishes + 2-3 already need refinishing again.

I am extra careful, especially since I've already had it happen and expensive, but way too easy to get curb rash on this car. As I said the wheel sticks out past tire, but back end kind trails different than any other car too. If you put 12k a year on it around town, then you will get curb rash!

5. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What's a Ferrari site owner doing driving a Maserati? ;)

6. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    all my rims have curb rash.. and they are ball polished so no clue how to fix it

7. SoIllFerrari

SoIllFerrari Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2005
    IL
    Full Name:
    CD
    Rob, not sure if you have looked into it but I installed a DBW kit from Formula Dynamics and it completely fixed the sluggishness of the line as well as smoothed out my shifting. Another large benefit was that my clutch wear rate has decreased significantly.

My big problem....rubber seal on passenger door has torn and does not seal properly.
    Beyond that 35k and counting.. :)