F1 pump and clutch life 360/430 | FerrariChat

F1 pump and clutch life 360/430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ferraripilot, Feb 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have read quite a bit about the possible finite lives of both of the above components. Can anyone give me a real world idea of what a regularly (not beaten often) driven F1 clutch and pump will last?

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    From what I've read the clutch can vary from 8k miles to 40k+ miles - but 20k seems to be a bit of a consensus value.

Pump? Anywhere from zero to infinity!

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Is it safe to say the F1 pump cannot be quantified as something which necessarily is prone to absolute failure one day a la 355 headers?

4. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    #4 kaamacat, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    I would say that you will have no warning when the pump does go, and having experienced this just 1month after my last purchase (so the car probably had just over 11K miles on it), a few thousand dollars later........and you know the rest. Out of all things I've seemed to have read about (on the 360 at least) it's better to plan on it. The pump/relay/fuse. I do not believe that driving characteristics came into play here, just that it is a very under-engineered part/assembly. (probably more-so the relay/fuse that supports it)

5. dkilka

dkilka Formula Junior

May 8, 2007
    Australia
    How longs a piece of string?

Concerned? Buy a 6 spd manual.

6. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you are intent on an F1 and concerned about the pump I understand that upgrading the 30amp relay which controls the pump to a 50amp unit (easy upgrade) is something a number of owners do and recommend.

As another poster has suggested, if you are concerned about the additional maintenance costs of an F1 go for a manual. Particularly as the cars get older and older I feel that owners of manuals will have a self satisfied air about them!