Please forgive: Dead batt, stupid ?s. | FerrariChat

Please forgive: Dead batt, stupid ?s.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Rubi, Feb 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rubi

Rubi Formula Junior

May 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Apologies up front. Searched the other day and couldn't come up with anything specific to my problem--although I did come up with a lot of good info that is a near miss...

Background: My car ('05 575) has been parked in a cool (cold here but not where you live) garage for months. I've been driving it off and on as Seattle weather allows. The last time I drove it was on Sat, 1/23 and everything was fine. Parked it and then, the next clear day I was able to was Sat, 2/6, only two weeks apart. Key clicker gets no love from the car--no beeps, door locks don't open, nothing. Opened the door with the key. It's deader than a doornail. I take out the owner's manual and find out about the batt kill switch. Turn it off and pull the cables. Call FoSeattle and talk to my guy there. I pull the cables off the batt (noticing a hidden battery tender I did not know was there.) Put a charger on it and the charger is reading 50% charged at 2amps, deep cycle immediately. I let it sit for at least 5 hours and the meter is still pinned at 50% it won't even turn an overhead light on. I do get an eardrum breaking screech when I hook the cables up (Whassup wif dat?)

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a car battery this dead. So, here's the question. When I back into the garage I hug the passenger side up pretty tight to the wall. So, of course, I can barely get into the gap to do any work. Plus, I'm not a contortionist any more and I don't see all that well. Can someone tell me how many mounting points the reservoir in front of the battery--which must be removed to pull the batt--has? I can see one, but don't know if there are others that I can't see or feel. I read here not to remove the hoses, just the rez itself. I want to pull the battery, get it into FoS for a test and a charge---if it will charge---or a new battery. I realize I can push the car out of the garage and will when it is time....but I still don't think I can crank my head around to see how that damn rez is bolted in.

Also, what is that damn screech and what could this be besides the battery?

Thanks, gents. Any other ideas you might have would be welcome.

2. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    If your car is like mine, there is one point up on top and one down below, on the outside of the passenger side.
    It is a bit hidden, but not difficult to reach.
    Good luck.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #3 tazandjan, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    If you look in the parts catalog on Ricambi's site, it should show you where the fasteners are.

I would not bother with the old battery. Get a new Interstate battery and install it. Mine is an MTP91 if memory serves me right. A new battery is only $125-175. Search here for battery for the thread on batteries with all the details. You will need to reenter your radio code and do an ECU reset. The ECU bulletin is also posted here in the X/X/575 forum.

All the above info/bulletins is posted in the 575 Assembly... thread.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. Rubi

Rubi Formula Junior

May 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Thanks, gents. Taz, That's the Interstate that's in the car and the one I aim to replace it with. Gotta pull the rez (well, loosen it) either way. Just trying not have a tow.

5. Rubi

Rubi Formula Junior

May 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    All good. Installed a new Interstate today and back to normal. The mounting points for the reservoir are hidden under the shroud that covers the fuses, etc just inside the passenger side fender fore of the battery. Held down with thumbscrews. It's easy, once you know the secret.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I love a happy ending.

Taz
    Terry Phillips