Wow... Are you kidding me? | FerrariChat

Wow... Are you kidding me?

Discussion in '360/430' started by uhussain1983, Feb 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uhussain1983

uhussain1983 Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    So, I'm driving my 360 to a friend's house y'day and my car starts acting real funny. For example, when I'm driving, the car will just drop into Neutral. I would think its a clutch problem, however, I just had the clutch done about a month ago (along with about $13k in other repair/maintenance costs), and I've hardly driven it maybe twice this whole month. So anyways, I pulled into the closest shopping center, and as soon as I slow down and come near a stop, the car completely turns off. I start it back up, and slowly start rolling but as soon as I press the brakes, my car shuts off. This happened everytime I would come close to a stop, for example, to go over speed bumps. I was able to make it to my friends house, and today when I was leaving, the car will not get out of Neutral. It wont reverse, wont go into first gear. I tried turning the "Auto" button off and on many times, but nothing happens. I tried Paddle Shifting to get into 1st, and no luck. My car is stuck there, and I dont know what in the world happened to it. Anybody have anything even remotely close to the issues that I had with the car? I will have it towed to get it checked out tomorrow. I dont know if theres anything I can do to reset the computer or something? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

2. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    What else has been done to it? Have you had it since it was new? There will be some more qualified people to answer the question here and they'll chime in soon. Pay attention to Rifledriver. In the meantime, if you do a search for F1 not shifting, you will find that you are not alone.

Best of luck.

3. uhussain1983

uhussain1983 Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    No, I didn't buy the car brand new. It's a 2000 model, and I just bought it a few months ago and it had about 22k miles on it. So far, I've had the clutch replaced, Fluid Flushed out, Spark Plugs changed, some hose replaced, brakes done, and some other minor stuff too. As soon as I start the car, there is some Red logo Flashing which looks like the trunk is open, next to the speedometer. However, I've opened and closed the trunk and the hood, and that light still doesnt go away. I tried looking up what that light means, but havent been able to find any info on it.

4. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    how does what you listed amount to 13k? sounds like 5-7k MAX (clutch being biggest part)

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It would be a good idea to read the owners manual.
    If the car is shutting itself off at a stop it means some system has a fatal error and the car is trying to tell you not to drive. The warning light may possibly be telling you the engine cover is unlatched or that the switch is sending an unlatched signal but there is a guide to all warning lights and signals in the owners manual.

6. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sound advice! :D:D

7. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is it the waring light for the trunk lid or the the F1 pump warnign light?

8. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    tired batteries are notorious for causing weird symptoms on some cars

9. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Check the mass flow sensor! The manual says that if the sensor inside the flow meter is dirty or detect a bad position of the actuator the car will stop or it will turn on the safe mode light just to prevent any further problems.

Hope this helps!

10. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa

I know with my 2003 F1, if I say try to reverse with the door open, it will start to do it but then after a couple of seconds will pop into neutral ... I guess its a safety setup. Similar if you try to drive with the engine lid open.
    Would first verify the symbol in owners manual and triple check everything is shut

11. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Did you check the F1 pump fluid levels? That sounds like it could be the problem. Get some tranny fluid(the recommended kind in the Ferrari manual) and then put some in(if it's low). Same thing happened to me 2x before I found the leak and just had to tightened a hose clamp to stop it.

Hunter

12. jgelovani

jgelovani Karting
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2009
    #12 jgelovani, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
    This is likely due to the burnt F1 hydraulic pump or the corresponding relay.
    First question - do you hear the sound of F1 hydraulic motor activation when you open the dirver side door (after your car has been standing for a while with the motor off)? If you dont hear the F1 pump sound (activity) - then the problem is in the pump, relay, and/or the fuse. Of course, you have to check the F1 transmission fluid level in that black reservoir inside the right rear wing (I assume you know what that is).
    Read the following thread and check it out:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268458
    Also, check the door and engine lid sensors. I.e., if you open the engine lid and try shifting - it wont let you do it...
    JG