STREET Luge? | FerrariChat

STREET Luge?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by jungathart, Feb 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Down the mother of all hills. I hope he got a ride back to the top ;)

2. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Imagine the shock to other moorists: especially motorcyclists- to see this guy slithering by!

3. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Wow, a luge that runs on Cheeseburgers.
    &,, It's obviously a Euro Luge set-up.
    (I can tell by the side markers. )

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Being a little pedantic, that's Jeans Yves Blondeau doing his "buggy rolling" thing - Search either on Youtube and prepare to be amazed....

Street luge however is a legitimate sport in the X-Games where they ride a luge running on roller blade wheels - Slightly different can of worms.....

Cheers,
    Ian
    PS - This has been posted before, but IMHO ranks right there with the Shell Circuit TV ad - Can't be reposted too many times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttz5oPpF1Js

Enjoy!

5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Great sport.
    Shoes are wear items...I have heard that some lugers cut car/ motorcycle tires to form longer lasting soles for thier shoes.
    The skate board wheels can fail and really cause a hurtful wreck.
    I know nothing about the technology of the wheel design (needle/ ball bearing and races) or of the board (some flex/ no flex, aero dynamics, wings), but drafting does come into play.
    I have never seen a run in person and would like to.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Feb 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Back in the 60's we used these, nailed to a 2x4 (separated fore and aft sections - 4 wheels to a board), and went downhill headfirst.

Never had a wheel fail but a tip-over resulted in smashed fingers, a scraped elbow and shoulder. As a ten year old, "it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    I'd never seen such a thing...and I was already thoroughly impressed by the guy on the pavement going down a long hill!
    These guys look like flying squirrels. Makes me wonder if the military already use this for silent infiltration.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers back at you!

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ha! I did that maybe ten years ago aswell! Got the front wheels of a shopping trolley (found the trolley, got the wheels of lol) and at the rear from a skateboard...

Went down some pretty steep cobbled road down to the beach, until we decided it went to slow...and we got a rope, a bike...well you can pretty much imagine what happened next:D.

Then that went to slow, and we went down the main high street with silky smooth stones...Dodging people was fun until we ran into some guy who obviously didn't see me coming :D. That pretty much ended it...

9. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    yeah boy we did the same, none of our sisters skates were safe, although we used one long 2x4 and laid on our backs with a crossboard for the feet and the butt. lots of long high hills in my old 'hood.we'd hit 35 mph regularly. had many steel wheels either peel back or bearings fail. someone got hurt all the time. we'd call it a home run because the injured would run home, usually bleeding. good times

10. Lemke

Lemke F1 Rookie

Oct 27, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Unbelievable! That looks like so much fun.