Superbowl weekend, Super problem; Maglite in bell housing | FerrariChat

Superbowl weekend, Super problem; Maglite in bell housing

Discussion in '308/328' started by tommott77, Feb 15, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Never sure whether to post these in the Tech or 308 board, so I shall try both :)

Obviously I had a little mishap over Superbowl weekend. In trying to mark the timing marks on my flywheel in an attempt to chase down a running issue (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270801) my blind ass solicited the help from a neighbor to mark the marks. Well you already know the outcome at this point; but to make a long story short he dropped a 3" maglite into the bell housing :-(

After several attempts of trying to fish it out and taking off the transfer case cover I am now looking for F-Chat help. The flashlight is all the way at the bottom of the bell housing. Sometimes you can see it through the hole at the bottom of the housing where the clutch lever resides. I have attempted to push it back up towards the top of the housing through that hole, but alas the hole is too small. I have also attempted to fish down some string in hopes to conjoin the string with the maglite in some fashion, but have not been able to get the string all the way down to the hole at the bottom of the housing. As I said I have also removed the transfer case cover in hopes that I would be able to gain access to the bell housing. No deal. I stopped there as it appears that I need a special tool to remover the gears of the transfer case. I have also tried turning things over by hand to see if it would bring the light back up towards the timing hole. No dice there either.

Any other ideas anybody has out there? At this point am I resigned to the fact of having to remove the bell housing entirely and purchase the necessary socket to remove the transfer gears? I have not started the car since the mishap in fear of destroying the clutch and/or the flywheel. Again the Maglite is about 3" long and a .5" in diameter and made of aluminum. Would it be worth a shot to just the car and see if the that might bring the light back up towards the timing hole at the top of the bell housing, or is this akin to playing with a thermonuclear device?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Put a roll of duct tape on the end of a bent coat-hanger...

Take a piece, 4" long. Fold it over so top and bottom are sticky.
    Stick edges together, ,
    Now,, make a 1" loop on the end of the coat-hanger, Fold the tape in half again, 2" long now, bend the loop into,, maybe a 45 deg angle. Stick the tape on that Maglight after pushing it over from the bottom for better access. pull up slowly, then grab it with a set of needle nose pliers.

??
    Edwardo

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    From McMaster.com, will one, or all of these (part numbers) help?

7385A52
    3838A42
    5681A14

Phil

4. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    perhaps a heavy duty vacuum, lile those ones that hold a bowling ball, with the hose downsized. if you could snake it in and catch the lens end. maybe?

5. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.

Make it Gorilla Tape. :)

6. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    ......... vacuum sounds pretty good ........... I thought a piece of heavy fencing wire with a good size drop of super glue in the end , , , both means would probably require you to see the torch to "connect" with it .

I would never never never crank that engine till the torch is out .

and then replace tha Maglite with a 5 x D cell model , , at worst it will blind your neighbour

7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well, you always wanted to change your clutch rag and TO bearing, right?

I changed my clutch 25 years ago, not knowing about those special little sockets for the transfer case gear retainers when I started the project.

I drift punch works well in a pinch to loosen them and retighten them, though I would buy the correct socket , if I had to do it again.

Doug

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #9 Verell, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    The light is non-magnetic.

A piece of 3/4" or 5/8" ID vinyl hose, or corrugated cable cover hose on a shop vac is probably your best bet. The tape on wire has a good chance of working also.

DON'T USE A DRIFT:
    Get the correct ring nut tool if you have to pull the bell housing, getting the torque correct when reinstalling the nut is critical. I've seen what happens if that nut comes loose, the gear whips up & down on the shaft, chewing up the transfer case & most likely chipping teeth off.

I've also seen corners broken off of ring nuts when somebody tried to use a drift on them, resulting in the correct socket not working!

Both Hill Engineering, Ricambi, & Baum Tools sell the correct ring nut tool.

9. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Can we assume that you turned the engine over by hand to see if the light would get hung up on one of the flywheel bolts. It may or may not work but if it does and get closer to the top hole you may get it. If it gets stuck you'll still need to pull the bell housing. Nothing ventured , nothing gained. Good luck.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You know you can spend hours trying to fish this non-magnetic light out with tape, tool, and plenty of cuss words ... or, you can spend a couple hours pulling the bell housing and changing the transmission fluid in the process.

I'll lend you the tools.

11. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Ah Mitch I can just see this scenario: I just got to remove the flashlight but after spending the time to remove the bell housing it looks like maybe I should change the clutch and ah what the hell lets resurface the flywheel and new rear seal along with throw out bearing and pilot bearing. So do I bring in my slippery finger friend and ask him to finance the dropped light issue. I can see it now LOL

12. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I might hit you up on that. I will spend one more afternoon trying to get it out before throwing in the towel.

13. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is my main concern with the bell housing removal. I don't like the taste of a can of worms. That being said I really only need to pull the bell housing out a 1/2" max to get the light out. See no evil, no evil perhaps?

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is correct. There is not even a gasket there.

15. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    OK keep those thoughts. Do not let temptation blur your task. LOL and good luck