dash removal 308 | FerrariChat

dash removal 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by st@ven, Feb 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #1 st@ven, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys

there was a thread some time ago about this and somebody kicked in telling that the removal of the dash was actually quite simple and even possible without removing the windshield. He made a full discription of the work and even added some pictures it too.

As i'm about to re-upholster mine i did quite some searching but i cannot find this thread anymore.

Anybody knows?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    You'll need to pull the guages out and disconnect them, then just open the doors and undo the two large screws which are located inside of each door jamb into the ends of the dash. The dash should come out then.

3. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Really? Is it that easy? I've had the instrument cluster out, that IS fairly easy, after removing the steering wheel, which is also easy. I'd like to clean up the caulk at the base of my windshield but can't fit in there with the dash in place.

4. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Dash removal is super easy. I think this is the thread to which you refer.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138389724#post138389724

It took me about 10 minutes to remove. Installation, however, is much more challenging. The leading edge of the dash needs to slide under a lip at the base of the windshield. I did it my myself but it's much easier with a helper.

5. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Thanx,

although doo think it actually was another one ( with pictures of the screws) this will help too!

6. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    I recall too that there was another thread, but I can't remember. Anyhow, the dash is only held on by 5 fasteners (2 bolts on each side in the door jamb area and one screw next to the relay panel). It takes longer to remove the steering wheel and instrument panel than it does the dash itself.

7. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Really, I thought there were rivets under the base of the windshield? And the windshield had to be removed to take out dash. If you'll are correct, I will definitely be re-covering my dash soon.

8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #8 Jdubbya, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Where were you guys at when I was taking my dash out?? ;) Could have saved me $1K...

Here is an admittedly bad pic of the bolt holes on the passenger side...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Nope, no rivets. Many other cars (my 911 for example), require you take out the windshield and a bunch of almost unreachable fasteners, but the 308 removal is probably one of the easiest things you can do. There have been several mentions of removing the steering wheel, but that wassn't necessary when I did mine. Perhaps the wheel will have to be lowered to its lowest point, but not removed.

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You may want to look into this further as there is a difference between the mounting on a GTS and a GTB. I know that on my 1977 GTB the windshield HAS to come out to take out the dash but on later GTS's it does not. Seeing as you have a GTB it is very likely the window is coming out.

11. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    That's a good point Nouvolari, mine is a Si and doesn't necessatate taking the windshield out and it never occured to me there would be a difference for that between models.

12. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Oh and one more comment, I ended up taking the windshield out of my SiQv to re-seal it and paint the jambs and it was the biggest and PITA and I've regretted it ever since.