Testarossa Book Review w/ pics | FerrariChat

Testarossa Book Review w/ pics

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hawaii, Jan 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #1 Hawaii, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys
    Just picked up a great book called "Supercars Ferrari Testarossa" By Mark Hughes. I did some internet searching after seeing it on Ebay. I got a excellent used copy for $1.00! Yes One Dollar, plus $6.99 for shipping. I've seen some going for $92 new!

I really like it and goes into development, wind tunnel testing, track testing, factory assembly line etc-etc.
    Heres some pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    I have had the book for a while now. I paid a little more than you did but it was well worth it. Great book. I love the pics of the cars being built. Happy reading.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

says "supercar" on the title...there you have it!

4. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank goodness this has now finally been settled.

Does this mean it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to buy this now?

5. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I bought that book from a NYC street vendor years ago for around $5.00 and that is probably about the most that book is worth.

6. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Jay
    I throughly enjoyed the book,History, illustrations and it's descriptions, but this is my first Testarossa book I've located. You must have quite a few. Can you recommend any others?

7. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I have my copy sitting on the coffee table in the lounge :)

P

8. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ

Fixed
    +1

9. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Now there's a proud father! Good lad!

10. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    some other title from Redhead site:
    Supercars: Ferrari Testarossa by Mark Hughes
    Published by Salamander Book, 1988. ISBN 0 86101 366 2
    A fantastic book with lots of pictures and very interesting information about the history, the design, the manufacturing, many technical details and also a driving impression.

GB Progetti #10, From the Ferrari Testarossa to the 512 TR, January / February 1992
    This the very best book about the development of the Testarossa and the 512 TR. Lots of technical details, many interviews with developers and dozens of pictures of test models.

Ferrari F512 M
    Published by Automobilia (#32 in the series). Editor Bruno Alfieri. 1996.
    ISBN 88-7960-081-8. All texts are in English, Italian and French.
    Several chapters about the Testarossa, 512 TR and F512 M. Lots of (mainly official) photos, technical details, info from owners manuals, road tests and so on. This book is the most complete one of all other Automobilia books listed below.

Ferrari Testarossa by Paolo Murani, Stefano Pasini and Luigi Orsini
    Published by Automobilia (#3 in the series). 1989. ISBN 88 85058 45 0.
    Nice design photos, lots of other photos (interior and exterior, including photos of the cars shown in Paris), many photos from owners manuals, a nice story and finally a part about the old 250 Testa Rossa. The whole book is in three languages, Italian, English and French.

Ferrari Testarossa by Brian Laban
    Published by Colour Library Books Ltd, 1992. ISBN 90 366 0818 X (Dutch version)
    A quite nice book, with lots of pictures and a nice story. Not so many technical details.

Ferrari Testarossa by David Sparrow
    Published by Osprey Automotive, in the series of Osprey Classic Marques.
    1992, ISBN 1 855 322 65 X.
    Lots of nice photos of the car and its interior. No photos of the production in the factory. Nice story, but not so many technical details.

Ferrari Testarossa by Paolo Murani
    La Collection #1. Published by Bruno Alfieri, Automobilia, 1992. ISBN 88 85880 47 9
    A very small but nice book with many official photos and drawings from folders of the Testarossa and the 512 TR. Including driving impressions of both cars.

Ferrari Testarossa by Philip Porter
    Published by Schrader Verlag / "Autofolio", 1990. ISBN 3 922617 82 4 (German version)
    Nice photos, although half of them are in black and white. Not so many technical details or info about the production. Most info can also be found in other sources.

11. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #12 zaevor2000, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Osprey Classic Marques Ferrari Testarossa by David Sparrow indeed has a lot of very nice photos of Testarossas from many different angles.

The Autofolio Ferrari Testarossa by Philip Porter is good for the comparison to the Daytona and the magazine review snippets.

The main thing I wanted to thank the original poster who provided the pic of the book with Supercar and Ferrari Testarossa in the same title.

Now we can all play this card every time someone tries to start things up by questioning if the Testarossa is a supercar. Seems like there is a thread every other week asking the same question.

This pic is a great EOC (End of Conversation)...

12. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I have sparrow's book and I am not to impressed. This book looks alot more informative. Just ordered it on amazon for 9.95 (used)

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #14 Melvok, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    An amazingly good book is by Werner Schruf: Ferrari 512TR: Die Geschichte der Boxer-Modelle.

Only in German language, prices on Ebay from € 100-200.

Not cheap but really a very good buy; ISBN 3-613-01540-4

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138916326 and scroll down...!

14. cryorunner

cryorunner Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the tip on the this book. It's my first book on the Testarossa - had a couple on the Countach way back when, but that's still a dream car for me.

Anyone else notice that basically every car in this book has two low mirrors but single "nut" wheels? Just thought that was odd. Don't know my stuff very well, but wouldn't think there were was much of a gap between the two changes (OK, I thought the changes happened at the same time until reading up on it). Guess they went to the factory and took all the pics at once.

I did a quick glance through it again and I don't think there's even one picture of a single-mirrored one.

Thanks to the other posters on this thread for their suggestions as well, because now I'm looking to build up a library!

15. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    85 and 86 models have the single flying mirror and single lug wheels.

87 and 88 models have the twin mirrors and single lugs.

88 1/2 is when they introduced the 5 lugs.

16. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    That is interesting to me.

I always wondered what it was that started the 88.5 model.

Thanks Zaevor

P