Favorite roads/drives? | FerrariChat

Favorite roads/drives?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by INTMD8, Feb 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I'm looking forward to spring and would like some input of the best driving roads around. (which I know are not great compared to other areas).

So, any of you have a favorite drive? Curvy, elevation changes, scenery? (Or do I need to move to Cali?) :)

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    US 83 through the kettle moraine area is nice but often busy.

3. webster132

webster132 Karting

Aug 9, 2006
    Chicago/Malibu
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes (you need to move to California).

The driving roads out here makes me really sad about going back to Chicago in April. There's simply nothing.

The best you can do is cruise down the highway. Or pick up a few simple corners out in Barrington (lookup Bateman road). It's very sad.

Well, at least we have a race track not too far away in the Autobahn Country Club.

4. porh

porh Karting

Oct 1, 2009
    Singapore
    theres a nice decent country road along the kankakee river.. cant remember which stretch though.. few nice curves and not very heavily used.. only 1 lane each way though..

5. SKNKWRX

SKNKWRX Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Red Arrow Highway from Indiana as far into MI as you want to go, The Kettle Moraine drive was mentioned, Rt 12 up to Lake Geneva. Theres some fun loops and such through the forest perseves out in the Palos area. We had a great backroad drive out to Starved Rock last fall. Around here you have to be creative you can just get on PCH1 and go get a map do some hunting and put it together, Then call me!

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Are you thinking of Rt. 113 on the the south side of the river between Braidwood and Kankakee?

7. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Highway 1 :)

It's short but honestly I love coming down LSD. Favorite drive for me in the state.

8. RickSchneider

RickSchneider Karting

Jul 29, 2008
    Remember rule #1, there is no such thing as fight club

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Sheridan Rd through the Ravines. The house from 'Ferris Bueller' is along that route and there are quite a few twistys.

10. F360Dave

F360Dave Karting

May 13, 2009
    Rule number 1 is actually - you do not talk about fight club

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    OK, you guys lost me with this 'fight club' thingy!

Sparky

12. porh

porh Karting

Oct 1, 2009
    Singapore
    haha i really cant remember.. i stumbled upon it cos my gps brought me that way.. i was headed south though if that helps..

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #13 JP365, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Chuck Palahniuk, Gen X writer and a definite must read commentary on society. BTW "Order the French onion soup." All allusions to literature aside, taking Sheridan North from the city is a wonderfully scenic drive all the way up into Wisconsin. Likewise, the road that runs along Lake Michigan going North from Sheboygan is another treat.

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks for the ideas, I'm definitely trying these out.

As for the fight club reference, I want in ;)

Since I went from a car with a "lot" of HP to much less HP I think I need to find some corners to enjoy it.

15. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There are some nice roads just about anywhere you go, Illinois and elsewhere.

Ask Skip about the drive we went for, in the far south boonies of the Chicago area. We rode some nice curvy roads and spent a lot of time well in excess of reasonable speeds.

The River Road along the Mississippi is good, the roads that follow the Illinois river are fun, check out the southern tip of the state. The Shawnee National Forest has many good roads running through it.

In short, get out your maps and do some investigating, look along the rivers and in the hilly areas, you'll find 'em.

Regards,
    Bill

16. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Check out the roads around the Galena area and SW Wisconsin, the Kettle Morraine Scenic Drive in eastern Wi., it's good on your way back from Road America.

If you go out to Channahon, IL off of 55 and cruise out to Starved Rock on 71 or the other roads on the north side of the river, you can go to the SL Lodge for dinner and drive back on I-80 or??? Nice ride for a summer night.

I think it would be a good weekend, if we organized a 2 day drive down the Illinois river to Quincy, then south on the IL side to Alton near StL and North along the MO/IA river side roads back up to 34 or 80 and home.

Just a thought...

Bill

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sheridan road would be good if it wasnt filled with potholes.

18. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #18 bill365, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010

Nice roads, don't have a lot of traffic or overzealous enforcement personnel. ;)

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    LSD is pretty good right now. At least the Northern part.

20. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I like Starved Rock and along the Illinois River. I go out I-80 to Oglesby, then through the Park, then head west on Rt. 71 until the IL river (which is route 26), I go south for ~15 miles (staying on the east side of the river), cross the river, then go back north on the west side of the river.

21. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Billiam is absolutely correct. At some points we were well in excess of triple digit mph( a lot of farm country)!

Great fun and nice scenery too.

Skippity