August 22, 2010 Car Show @ Cabela's in Scarborough Maine to benefit Toys for Tots. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

August 22, 2010 Car Show @ Cabela's in Scarborough Maine to benefit Toys for Tots.

Discussion in 'New England' started by Alkivar, Feb 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    The only benefit he is getting from this is the satisfaction of doing something he loves. I'm in the same boat. This is why I spent almost all of my free time for 6 weeks assisting with the Foxwoods event. Did we make any money?? NO, that's the whole point of the club. The goal here is to strengthen the New England exotic community for free, and apparently since FChat is a for profit site that is a threat.

Also saying FChat is the logical place to organize an event is ridiculous. I didn't know FChat was the centralized database for all car events on the internet. I'm pretty sure events get posted on several forums. Having a single site for a specific event that everyone knows to check for updates seems logical to me.

2. CustomFerrari

CustomFerrari Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
    i agree rob i find events everywhere the newspaper, yuppie racing, fchat, etc...

and im most of the sueprcarroadtrips events im allowed at and there is no profit simply guys or mostly guys having fun talking eating stuff liek that we know you guys like to do that stuff just kind of hang with the guys sort of thing

3. darthnefas

darthnefas Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    Dang it, now I have to post again.

I've been saying this forever and for some reason they don't believe me that, even though Dennis says, "why do it if it doesn't make something." Why is it so hard to believe that the event is non-profit (and I mean seriously non-profit) when it's so easy to believe others are? I mean, if it started at K-mart would you say you couldn't post it because K-mart needs to buy sponsorship? Seriously.

My point still remains that you can't even post the website on here because it's blocked like a swear word.

Dennis is right, Manolis came on strong in the beginning, but that is water under the bridge and Dennis you really should go on one of these runs, which seems right down your alley and I think you'll have a different feeling.

But once again I digress. Again, I'm not saying that any of the moderators here didn't do what they saw was correct at the time and reacted appropriately. In fact, I'm saying the exact opposite. I think they did their job in the beginning and I applaud them for being on point.

I just want them to admit that it no longer applies and let SCRT post up here. That way nobody looks like a bad guy and the users get what they want, a good group to drive their cars with.

4. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Dear Mr Karc:

I've been an active FCA member for over a decade. I've volunteered hundreds of hours every year to help put on events for my fellow tifosi. I've sunk thousands of my own dollars into this. I'm even volunteering to Mod on FChat to help make THIS community a stronger place for all of us. So please don't lecture me on the things we do for passion.

A "threat" to FChat? Look, there are PLENTY of other car forums, exotic and less-exotic, out there. And many, if not most, ALSO have varying degrees of rules prohibiting the promotion of OTHER forums. Which is not to say that there aren't other great forums out there; just don't promote them here. SCRT may be the greatest thing since sliced bread (and for the UMPTEENTH TIME, I think that the Foxwoods trip was fabulous and great for this community that I've personally helped foster for a decade), *BUT* that doesn't mean that folks do not have to follow the G.D. rules of FChat.

If you don't like the rules, then don't participate, it's that simple. The online world has more than one direct competitor to FChat, started/promoted by folks who don't like Rob's rules. And that's the American way (or the Lamborghini way :) ).

Hey, by all means, set up SCRT as a central site for events here in New England. Go for it, guys. But just don't promote it here on FChat unless you want to follow the rules - e.g., become a sponsor.

vty,

--Dennis

5. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Allen, please don't use direct quotation marks to put words in my mouth. I never said "why do it if it doesn't make something."

No, what I said was, "Even if it's not-for-profit, clearly, he's deriving some benefit from it, or why bother putting it together in the first place...."

Now, one may think I'm splitting hairs, and that's a fair accusation coming from anyone who isn't as used to thinking of "benefit" in the context of being a lawyer. But there is actually a significant distinction between "benefit" and making money. Not to derail this into Economics 101, but pretty much everything you or I do is for a benefit -- I've served in the FCA for this long because I *enjoy* it. That is my benefit. You donate blood because it makes you feel charitable and altruistic - that's YOUR benefit.

So my point in what I wrote is NOT to say that Manolis or anyone else is actually pocketing money (I have no idea, and I have absolutely no reason not to believe him when he says he isn't). No, my point was that he is doing it because he's BENEFITING.

Manolis benefits from being the head of SCRT, and whatever fun and thrills he gets out of it. I raised it in this context because, and pay attention here because this was my key point:

Manolis could have abided by the rules of FChat and promoted his Foxwoods event all he wanted, without forming SCRT and promoting it. But he DID form and promote SCRT because it makes him happy to have SCRT be a big and thriving site/club/whatever. But doing so without sponsorship or prior permission from Rob would violate FChat rules, hence the flare-up.

Jeez, it's almost a syllogism now.

Allen, you still seem to believe SCRT doesn't infringe upon the FChat rules. Please go back and reread what I wrote.

vty,

--Dennis

6. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Lastly guys: when you're digging youself into a big hole, the first you do is STOP DIGGING.

7. karc

karc Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2003
    You keep mentioning this, but what seems to be happening is the mods on here are digging the hole and don't stop. If anything the mods of this site have let down their own members which are what bring in the advertisers. There were members of this forum on other forums stating how they would no longer pay to be part of this site. I'm not sure if they acted on that or not but that kind of a response shows that the situation should have been handled in a better way.

That being said I personally am let down by this site. This will be my last post on FChat. This site has too much self-interest and not enough interest in their own community. I realize I don't pay to use this site and I do not own a Ferrari so I'm sure I will not be missed by any of the site staff here. However, I try to contribute often to the community so everyone who has a passion for cars can have a good time and meet others with similar interests. I'll take my content elsewhere.

8. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    Dennis I apologize for miss-quoting you. I usually use the Quote feature directly, but I get lazy sometimes, but I saw "making something" and "benefiting" to be synonimous in this respect, but I can see now by your retort that it is not.

It's not that it does or doesn't break the rules. The rules are for interpretation, just like law and I find my interpretation to be different than yours. That's all. I'm not saying "I'm right and you're wrong." Fortunately life doesn't work that way. Like any good debate I want to point out what I feel is inaccuracies in the thinking that I'm presented. Some people call it being a devil's advocate. If that's me, then so be it.

Again, what you and your crew have done for this organization and organizations you've been involved with is without question, you wouldn't be here if you didn't. The same goes for Karc and what those guys have done. I remember when I first talked to Manoli he wanted to really have the group in the center of Ferrari Chat to support it because he liked this group(SCRT doesn't have a forum). I think he took it personal when this group basically told him, don't bother.

I think what we've seen in that last post is exactly what a good moderator should say. That is, here are the rules and this is how to abide by them. Is that the final answer? Yes. 'nuff said.

So if SCRT wants to see itself on this forum then it will have to purchase an advertising package and move forward. Do I think we're going to see that? No. So there really isn't any more reason to debate.

9. Lizak187

Lizak187 Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Lynnfield MA
    Full Name:
    Steven L.
    ya so about that car show at cabelas......

10. CustomFerrari

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
  11. Alkivar

Alkivar Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Maine aka Canada Jr.
    Full Name:
    Jon
    so did you have any questions?

12. CustomFerrari

Aug 1, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Casey B.
    i just figured out something about the camp sunshine thing is i used to go there lol

13. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    It is pretty far off to make definate plans but I will make an effort to be there in one of my rides, it's not that often we have shows in Maine.

14. AbsolutFerrari

AbsolutFerrari Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    I was planning to take a trip up to Maine this summer anyways. Why not make it this weekend? :)

15. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    I never thought of that before, but come to think of it you don't. I was at 2 shows last year in ME, but just over the border.

We should make a cruise group out of it and check out some restaurants or something while we're up there.

Greg, you up for showing us around?

16. Lizak187

Lizak187 Rookie

Jan 14, 2009
    Lynnfield MA
    Full Name:
    Steven L.
    Troll post # 4747473838

17. GregTe

GregTe Formula Junior

May 3, 2004
    Maine
    Allen, Sounds like fun, I'm sure I could manage to get us trouble somehow :)

18. darthnefas

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    See, you already have the right mindset! You're hired.

19. 55fanatic

55fanatic Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Peter Ladas
    aaahhh a bunch of us went up to yummies last week... it was a fun little run, we stopped in Salisbury on the way back for some dinner. Good times.

20. Alkivar

Alkivar Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Maine aka Canada Jr.
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just a reminder this show is coming up soonish... would love to see a couple of nice F-cars show up :)

21. Alkivar

Alkivar Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Maine aka Canada Jr.
    Full Name:
    Jon
    show is this sunday... hope some of you can make it.