Good News For 308 Owners | FerrariChat

Good News For 308 Owners

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gleggy, Feb 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    A new product option for the 308 gtb/4/S owners is available both here in Australia and the U.S.A.
    A set of rear covers for the cam covers has been tested and installed to drastically reduce the access of debris from falling or being thrown down into the cam belt drives and thus ejecting the cam belts off.
    I have seen the kit and looks like it will do the job. It comes with everything required to do the install when you next have the belts done or just to put them on anyway for piece of mind. The covers are powder coated satin black so they should blend in nicely. I do not have costs but what ever it is it will the cheapest insurance you'll get. This phenomena of loosing a belt is not uncommon and has happened to one F/club member here twice now, Much to his dissapointment. For those of us who have had to pay for engine rebuilds and valve replacement know that it is not a cheap exercise!!
    They are now available exclusively in the U.S from Bill at G.T. Car Parts, Phoenix
    Arizona and Gerry at Forza Automotive in Sydney. I'll post some pics when my orderd set arrives.
    Cheers MG

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Very interesting.... I'll never forget the post about the poor F-Chat soul who had
    only 200 miles on new belts, then picked up some debris (Toll token!!) that wedged
    in there and destroyed everything....

Do post more info.

Jedi

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #3 308 GTB, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Do I remember that!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194092

Now you tell me, Murray! I just had my belts and tensioners changed two weeks ago!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you talking about the backplate behind the timing belt covers that hides the cam pulleys similar to the QV's?

5. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Sorry about that. The 308 owner I mentioned,will be his second time for a massive detonation because of this design fault. It is in the back of your mind, like I said small outlay for insurance.
    MG

6. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy

Yep.

7. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Having been there for the second of Len's disasters I think this would be a must do for any 308 owner.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm sorry, dumb question. How about 328? Same issue?

9. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Early 328's and QV's were open I think, but the later 328 had the hard plastic covers on them.
    MG

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No, they started using the backplate on the QV, either from 83 or 84 on.

11. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #11 moretti, Feb 25, 2010
    that's right, got a picture of it in my QV parts manual, parts 10 and 11, part numbers 117628 and 117627 respectively
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Would these parts fit earlier versions?

13. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    No.

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the QV parts no but the kits Gleggy is talking about yes.

What he is saying is that there are kits that can be retrospectively fitted to the pre-QV models and that they come with a drill bit and tap plus the covers and bolts.

I saw one of these being fitted at my Ferrari mechanics a few weeks back

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My 83 QV has the backplates. They help keep out crap, but they're a PIA to get out and back in, as they require some blind feeling around to get them all. If the bolts were on the front side it would have been so much better.

16. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    #16 Gleggy, Feb 26, 2010
  17. brook308

brook308 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2007
    SS Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    George
    Very nice Murray. Shame these weren't around during my rebuild.

Will definetly keep them in mind when I do my next belt change.

Cheers

George

18. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
    Those plates look great. In the other thread, there was talk of needing some ventilation so the belts don't get too hot. Any problems with these being solid?

19. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I guess the best time to install this is when you have to replace your cam seals unless you can just remove the cam pulleys without removing the cams.

20. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    It looks like you can remove the pulleys, (hopefully remembering where the pins go in the holes) and install the plates.

These things look like cheap insurance. We have all heard, ad nauseum, about belt failures and i wonder how many, (of the early non "plated" cars), had belt failures from things like rocks, tokens or dropped nuts.

I called Bill at GT Car Parts today for a few bits and pieces and asked him, "HOW MUCH"? To which he replied that he had just had a plate delivery from OZ and that he would email me monday with the "good" news. I will post the cost asap.

I have about one year and 5k on my last belt change, so will be stashing the set untill i need to do a belt change or find the $ to do cams and pistons, (not likely given the current market slide).

regards,
    chris

21. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Can these be installed with out removing the engine?

22. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Are they made as a set of back AND front covers? Otherwise how would you be able to bolt the back plates onto the original front covers? My front covers don't have threads in them. Confused..

23. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    The install kit that I have seen has everything you will need to do the job.
    Drill ,tap, loctite, nyloc nuts washers, studs. When you or your mechanic read the instructions that comes with the kit, you'll see you will have to drill and tap into the OEM covers after you have removed them from the car. I must point out that a certain level of finesse is required to make sure the alignment to the edge is right before you drill.
    Best to do it when the belts are due or nearly due,......... or if they have just been done, DO IT ANYWAY!!!!
    The look of dissapointment on Lens face after just 2 laps before his belt was stripped on a brand new rebuit engine would convince anybody to do the install.
    Cheers MG

24. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Yep.

25. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

Dave Helms, if you're out there, what do you say? I was just about to call you to schedule a timing belt service in a few weeks.