Looking for a "beater" Testarossa..... | FerrariChat

Looking for a "beater" Testarossa.....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by carguy, Jan 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    We are looking for a "beater" Testarossa. A car with engine problems is fine, or maybe even no engine at all! If anyone knows of such a car for sale in Michigan or neighboring state, please let me know. Thank You.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    There's a yellow 512TR on ebay that needs an engine with a buy it now price thats very low.

3. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Jeff - just back into one and need another already???

"Wanted beautiful Italian classic. Engine not necessary."
    Sounds like you have a particular project in mind.

Wondering what lump you are thinking about... Inquiring minds...

CC

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    You mean the one in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia for 18k?

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    John G has that one in DC area for $40k looks nice enough driver.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yeah that could be it I never paid attention to location. Guess thats too far of a journey.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I am fortunate to be associated with a gentleman, who has tremendous capabilities, who wants a beater TR to use as a rolling test bed for some projects he is developing. That's about all I can say right now. A good rolling TR body and chassis would be fine, no engine or a blown engine is okay.

Ryalex: John G's car in the D.C. area was sold last month - that was a STEAL OF A DEAL !! Thanks for the tip....

8. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    oops sorry i thought i deleted the ad...

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
  10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I keep hearing an evil laugh in the background................................wringing of hands, evil sideways glances...................turbochargers and copious tubing stacked in the corner...............

11. ManCar

ManCar Karting

May 6, 2009
    Down South
    I know of one in the south for 33k.

12. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
  13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    OOOOooooo.....AAAAHhhhh

Imagine a testarossa with a twin turbo v8 pushing 800 ponies.... someone has to do it :)

But what trans can you adapt for it???

Just dreaming out loud... :)

14. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois

A V8 in a TR? That's heresy! :D

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Its been done with the stock engine and i own it.

16. DerWebMeister

Aug 21, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    This project wouldn't happen to run on old bannana peels and stale beer would it?

17. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This project will keep the flat-12 motor in there where it SHOULD BE !!! I'm not at liberty to comment on anything specific at this time. Dyno testing of one of the "flat-12 development engines" should begin in the next few months..... :)

18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Norwood in Dallas has been there and done this many times except its more like 1000 rwhp
    with the 12 cylinder.

20. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    sounds nice. or maybe an LS7? an engineless TR seems like a good platform to create something fun :)

but the thought that struck my mind was "hmmm... wonder how people would react if he put a GM 2.8L V6 in there" :D

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Keeping it 12 is the way to go for sure.

22. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well gang.....the search may be over for a "beater" TR. Sadly the TR that I recently busted my butt to purchase was misrepresented to me by the seller (fellow fchatter) as a "no stories" and "no paintwork" car (I have it in writing)....but I have discovered that the car has at least 2 areas that have been spot-painted with base-clear coat paint. The color match is fine but the texture is wrong. This car has a clean history and is good and solid mechanically. The buy I bought if from, bought it from Ferrari of Washington, and per his account they also represented this car as "clean".

So I believe I'm going to sell this car, at a very reasonable price, to my associate for serve as the development car.

It was a nice dream while it lasted.....

23. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You are going to sell your TR now because it has been spot painted twice? Apparently the spot painting was good enough that you didn't "discover" it until months after you bought it. And now it is enough to make you sell it? None of this makes sense.

24. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Here's the story. The car was delivered on a cold, nasty winters night...due to the weather and poor lighting I did not see the paint issues at that time. Besides I had it in WRITING from the seller that there was "no paintwork". Another authority looked at the car didn't say anything about it either. In addition the seller had info. from Ferrari of Washington (where he bought the car) saying it was a "clean history" car. Lastly the seller is a fellow fchatter, and we'd had lots of communication prior to closing the deal.

At this point I just didn't have any concerns.....so into winter storage goes the car. Finally a break in the weather...I shovel an area clear of snow so I can pull the car out of the garage. I start wiping the car down and see the repainted areas....and my heart sinks into my feet.

I am a detail freak and I can't accept a car with paint issues...mechanical issues yes....but not cosmetic issues. IF the repainted areas had been done in single stage paint to a high standard - I would be fine. But to use base coat - clear coat on a single stage paint car is just plain dumb. The repainted areas will never "look" right and won't age the same as the rest of the car.

I am having a high end professional detailer inspect the car to see if anything can be done to improve the situation...but we both have our doubts.

I contacted the seller and he is basically washing his hands of any repsonsibility for misrepresenting this car....so.....

25. MARANELLONATION

MARANELLONATION Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    North Andover Ma. 01845
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Ferrante
    Jeff,
    My heart goes out to you...of all people to have this happen to ...
    Anyone who knows you and what you have been through knows you don't deserve this fate.I'm lost for words