360 fire on the 101 | FerrariChat

360 fire on the 101

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by BigK, Feb 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigK

BigK Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Playa Del Rey,CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Williams
    #1 BigK, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    what is with Ferraris and fire ????

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

More spontaneous combustion I see. Hard to tell if it's a stradooly? The wheels sure indicate so, I thinks it's a 360 though.

4. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    didn't even think about somebody being in the car HOPE NOT !

5. ALLINFERRARI

ALLINFERRARI Karting

Apr 1, 2008
    calabasas, ca
    Full Name:
    Michael Koss
    it was a 360 and the driver is fine!

6. s4dustin

s4dustin F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    Glad everyone is ok.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Not a Stradale (red mirror).

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I gotta quit usin' space heaters when the blower motor quits.

9. BigK

BigK Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Playa Del Rey,CA
    Full Name:
    Kurt Williams
    Sorry, didn't mention that, the occupant was away from the car. It was taken by my office mate. He showed it to me this morning.

10. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Sorry to see and hear about this. Main deal is the driver is fine.

11. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    was he on the lapd run on sunday?good to hear no one was hurt

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Looks to be fuel burning as there's flames on the ground. I'm assuming a fuel line compromise ignited by the hot cats right below the engine.

13. Limo

Limo Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    It was my car. Driving on the 101 and smelled gas. Looked at the cars in front of me to see if there was an old clunker running rich but there was not. The gas smell was coming from me! Decided I better pull over and inspect. Looked back to change lanes and look at engine compartment. All looked normal and of course nobody wanted to let me over. After the 3rd lane change and looking back there were now flames in the engine bay. Made an aggressive lane change and pulled over knowing I had a few seconds to get out and maybe grab some belongings. Hit the trunk button and jumped out. Trunk was still locked! Jumped back in flaming car and hit button again and heard it release. Grabbed briefcase and ran away from car which was now engulfed. Of course it is insured but it is very sad to watch your favorite car that you pamper and truly enjoy burn to the ground. It is like watching your dog get hit by a car. I felt sad that my car was destroyed and slept outdoors in an impound lot last night.
    Sad day for Ferrari's

14. gt2urbo

gt2urbo Karting

Dec 27, 2009
    LA
    sorry to hear that , atleast you are ok. now the question is what are you gonna get now :)

15. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    sorry to hear that champ, but most important is you made it out ok!

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Late model ferraris seem to burn way too often. I would put in that cool automatic fire system that NoDoubt has in his engine compartment. I think they were marine grade units and cheap making it cheap insurance.

17. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I'd say if these things are engineered to where they randomly go up than let her burn. Not sure if those auto fire systems would help you in a severe crash and if so that would totally be worth it. Otherwise, just let insurance deal with the crispy blob on the ground.

18. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Glad you're OK. I'm curious does the car explode under these circumstances? Or, does it just go up real quick, fueled by gas? If explosion, obviously going back was a pretty risky move but I suspect that it just gets engulfed in flames real quick. Come to think of it I seem to recall the fire in Newport that involved the kids had an explosion.

19. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Sorry to hear about that Limo..

20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Burn repairs are never a good thing. As long as lives are not at stake better to let it burn and be a total loss claim.

21. stevesferrari

stevesferrari Karting

May 15, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Glad you're safe, sad for the Ferrari. Another one will come along though!

22. MarvelComics

MarvelComics Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2009

Make sure the fuel lines to the injector rails are inspected regularly, or replaced regularly.
    But too late now :(

Good thing you're ok.

Interesting that it's your first post?

23. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
  24. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    I am really sorry to hear about that, you have my condolences. I have almost the exact same 360 so I know what it would feel like. After a month's vacation driving in S. CA (mostly Malibu mountains), I can relate to what you said about traffic not letting you over, even in this life-threatening situation. Sorry to say it, but SoCal has the rudest, most agressive, impolite, ****** drivers I've ever encountered anywhere on the planet.

Glad you are OK, spend some time grieving, and get another 360!

25. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    All that really matters is that you are fine, Limo.

I hope you can replace it soon enough (after you get over the shock of course). I guess a routine inspection, before you even get in and drive, of fuel lines are in order for 360s. It would be interesting to find out if the fuel leak was due to a bad clamp or dry rot. Now you don't have an excuse not to get a Scuderia.