camshaft troubles on a 308i | Page 2 | FerrariChat

camshaft troubles on a 308i

Discussion in '308/328' started by jimmynail, Feb 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    Let Capt. Obvious chime in...why don't you just convert to EFI and KEEP the lumpy cams. The EFI conversion would cost about the same as buying stock cams and once tuned (and cams degreed properly) you may have enough power to go pick on EURO carbed cars...and run cleaner...and get better MPG...and be able to tune it via laptop...and...

Spang

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    There is 40+ hp difference between a 2vi and a QV (so about 30 at the wheels) and quite noticable, particularly if the 2 cars happen to be out on a drive together.

The 2vi engine benefit the most from mods, cams and ditching the CIS in particular, then porting and should come right up into the 280 to 300hp range.......but a modified car is not what most people want.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    cost. if you can't do the work yourself it can be quite pricey to do the conversion and in spite of being better in every way it probably lowers the resale value.

4. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #29 CliffBeer, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    Hi mk e,

The bulk of materials out there on the various iterations of the 308 suggest the 2vi puts out 215hp and the 3.0 QV puts out 240 hp. My math indicates that's 25hp, probably a little less at the wheels.

I haven't seen the torque delta #s between the two, but I suspect the torque difference is less than the 25 spread above for hp...more like 15-20 at most. Hence, what one feels on the seat dyno is minimal, if anything at all. As you probably know, cams and valves tend to provide more hp than outright torque.

Not sure where you get your 40+ hp delta number. And, not sure where you get your 300hp number for a NA 2vi engine with mods.....that would be quite an engine. Love to see and hear it though!

Cheers.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    A 2vi is lucky to actually make 190-195 from what I've seen, a QV more like 230-235, so 40 hp. Both engine make peak hp at the same rpm so the QV is also making 40 more ft-lb torque, at least it is at 6800 rpm. Around town a 2vi does a decent job hanging with a 2v carb becasue of the revised gear ratios ferrari gave it, but the QV has those same ratios and just flat walks away from a 2vi.

280-300 would be what you'd expect with good cams (shim under required), EFI with ITBs, compression, good exhaust. Good porting should push the number to 330-350. In modded from a 2v is a 2v and i as in EFI is good for 10-20 hp over carbs.

6. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    OK mk e, whatever you say.

Please post some pics of the 350hp 308 engine you built.