Boxer Radiator Removal | FerrariChat

Boxer Radiator Removal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Drew Altemara, Oct 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I have an ever so small leak in the radiator of my 79 BB512 that I am finally going to address. A couple of question to folks who have done this before:

Can you remove the radiator without having to remove the condenser coils?

Does the front valence and front lid need to come off to access the radiator and lift it up?

Any issues with the fans?

Appreciate any insight. Might tackle it tomorrow.

There is a radiator shop in Atlanta that I'll be sending it out for recore.

Drew Altemara

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #2 jselevan, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Drew - I have had to remove my radiator for various reasons about 5 times over the years. Your question is dear to me, because I have always done it the wrong way.

Please, I plead with you, do not try to remove the radiator without taking the condensor with it. It is a real p.i.a. to try and get the radiator out while keeping the condensor in. Spend the time and money to evacuate the system, disconnect the a/c lines at the condensor, and take them out as a unit. Should you choose to remove only the radiator, you will scar (damage) both with your effort.

The fans do have to come out. Rather easy to do.

Front valence does have to come off. It's all about access.

One other warning. When replacing the radiator, make sure it sits low enough on the shock mounts (rubber mounts) that the front directional assembly does not hit the radiator when lowering the hood. If you do not nudge the radiator in its four mounting points down as low as possible, the directional units will interfere. You might pay attention to this before taking the radiator out so that you understand the issue now.

Have fun.

Jim S.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

drew, can yu photo document this process as i too hav a small leak. i am particularly interested in the process and tools required to git er dun!

pcb

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    #4 Drew Altemara, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Thanks Jim. Appreciate all the pointers. I was hoping someone who has done this a couple of tmes before would reply.

Once you have the radiator and condenser on the table I assume you can then disconnect them?

I'll take some photo's as I go.

Drew.

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Exactly the way I do them...and yes Drew, once the radiator is out, the condensor core can easily be separated.

6. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I thought I would update this thread in case folks searched on how to remove the Boxer radiator. I got this done last week. My radiator had a very slow weep. I ended up taking it to Sims Radiator Service in Atlanta for repair. Fortunately, not a lot was required. A couple of notes.

You have to remove the lower clam shell. Then remove the fans and horns. This is because to remove the radiator it has to be moved forward to clear the side edges of the car.

Do as everyone advised me and remove the condenser and radiator as a unit. You have to break two brass couplings on the condenser. Double wrench it so that you do not bend the tubes. Not that bad.

Cut off the old hoses. You have to do this to gain access to one of the bolts that mounts the radiator. The upper hose hides this bolt.

The replacement hoses are 1 5/8". The upper hose can be slid back enough on the aluminum pipe so that you can access the bolt above , tightened, then connect the hose to the radiator. Use some lubricant and you should not have any issues.

Pay the man at the garage to evacuate the AC system and charge with freon. Hopefully it will hold a couple of years.

Its hard to estimate but I appear to be running 5 to 10 degrees cooler but I don't really have a good reference point of outside temperature.

Regards,

Drew Altemara

bjunc likes this.
  7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I've got a weep too. I was so hoping to sneak it out without disturbing the AC charge. I've got a fresh R12 charge that was just completed (of course). Maybe Paul will address this too since he's got the coolant and freon out. I wish I did.

As a good friend of mine says,"How we love them so!"

8. ital351

ital351 Rookie

Oct 18, 2006
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    In theory, you should only be charged for the freon that you use. I think the machine keeps track of how much is evacuated. If you can get the guy to "credit" you the amount when you return to fill. Just call them and tell your story. Only deal with them if they work with you.

David

9. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    +1 - I have done this several times with a mechanic that only charges me for the net material delivered to the car. They first analyze the "purity" of the gas in your system, and if not contaminated, they will give you credit for what they take out and charge only for any extra going back in.

Jim S.