Bora bumper conversions... | FerrariChat

Bora bumper conversions...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Ron S, Feb 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron S

Ron S Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Ron Scarboro
    At the risk of a barrage from the purist, is there anyone still making / providing euro bumper conversions for late model Boras?

There was a source from someone from New Zealand? However, I can't find any contact information.

Thanks,

Ron

2. Jorgen Andersson

Dec 1, 2008
    Hello

It is the same guy that sells the hydraulic cylinders on Ebay.
    You could contact him that way.

Thanks
    Jorgen

3. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Ron,

Have you possibly considered foregoing a bumper in the rear altogether! I guess another way of putting it is, are you ready to drill two holes in that rear panel?

Ciao,
    George

4. Ron S

Ron S Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Ron Scarboro
    Not a bad idea. I'm not into mods that can't be reversed.

5. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.

Hi Ron,

The rear valance can be easily replaced with either a stock valence or a remanufactured panel. My thinking is to make some sort of attachment to the bumper shock posts to have a more finished look.

I have not confirmed it, but I have read repeatedly that each of those bumpers is approx. 100 Lbs each, so getting them of the car would certainly help the p/w ratio. The front should be easy to do Euro style.

Finding the parts is a challenge as well as not having to sell one of your kidneys to get the part when available.

BTW Compomotive does not sell your wheel in a 16" anymore, I have been told, only in 17".

Ciao,
    George

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The conversion in the rear is not so simple. The rear sub-frame and exhaust system are completely different on the USA rubber bumper cars. I prepped mine for this years ago and just never got around to completing it. Those rubber bumpers actually function very well whereas the pretty S.S. ones are just trim. I think the new exhaust is the tough part. You have to either modify or start completely over as the stock systems won't fit because of the differences in frame.

When I looked at it it seemed like you could make mounting brackets that would fit in the existing bumper mounting spots so that you could eventually put the rubber bumpers back if you wanted to. It wouldn't stictly look like a euro version though but probably pretty close. There's also a 1" square cross member between those two mounting points that has to be sawn off. This was a pretty damn strong bumper they did.

Bob S.

7. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Bob, you are spot on. The original exhaust needs to go away [especially the U.S. exhaust manifolds][watch out for the asbetos], newer systems are much better and lighter. The cross bar stays. One should be able to route the exhaust tips to the standard areas. To me an alternative placement like on a 308 would IMHO look just as good on a Bora. Leaving the backend bare would look very unfinished. Some sort of trim and/or redesigned bumper is needed. The devil is in the details. Lastly, don't drive the Bora during rush hour LOL.

Ciao,
    George

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    At the time I had my engine & trans out I decided to do the prep work for a bumper conversion so that I could convert the bumpers later on. That cross bar has to go on a Bora. Even then, the routing for the exhaust system is a lot more tortured than a stock European car would be. The stock exhaust is tortured enough on a USA Bora and getting the tips up that much higher plus clearing all the those changes in the rear subframe makes it challenging. A friend of mine converted his but kept the exhaust low and with that original lower valence. I thought it looked all wrong.

Hopefully someone who has been intimately involved with a nicely done conversion will chime in here???

Bob S.

9. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    Years ago, a friend of mine did the conversion of the front and rear US bumpers, very late 1977 model, back to the euro style. He had to manufacture a subframe for the front to preserve the existing mounting points but permitting the euro front bumpers to be attached. It made it possible to revert back to the ugly US bumpers if so desired. For the rear, we were able to source an original euro valence and the euro grill as well as the euro bumper. My friend adapted some Mustang bumper hydraulic rams to bolt to the frame and then was able to mount the Euro bumper to the Mustang rams, Again it's all reversible. Personally why anyone would want to have the US bumpers on their car is there is the ability to mount the euro units is hard for me to understand.

I then ordered the euro style exhaust system and we were able to hang it so that when we were done it all looked like it came out of the factory.

Later, we chucked the euro factory headers and exhaust and custom made new headers and just used Magnaflow s.s. mufflers, eliminating the resonators and the cross mufflers entirely but made the system with the twin exhaust pipes, like the euro units, so that unless you open up the engine compartment, you cannot tell that the Bora has been modified. It all fit in very neatly and opened up the back of the engine compartment to better air flow and permitted me to change from the 5 speed ZF transaxle to a RBT 6 speed transaxle.

Elliot Siegel

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    #10 gcmerak, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    Hi Elliot,

Can you tell me what the motivation was to change out the Euro-headers to custom headers. Was the ID increased on the custom headers?

Nevertheless, to install a Euro-bumper that rear panel has to have 2 large holes put into it to accomodate the bumper shocks. I'd rather make a modified bumper or bumper stops of some kind, and not drill anything out.

Ciao
    George

11. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    We did go to 1 5/8" tubes and tried to extend the headers a bit more for more midrange grunt. It also made it easier to mate up to the mufflers we installed.

I don't remember if we had to cut two holes for the bumper shocks. For some reason, my memory was that we already had the required holes but don't quote me. I'll take a look on Monday when I get to the car and see what we did.

Elliot Siegel

12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Elliot,

Do you have any pictures of the bumper & exhaust work and the final result? Anything to improve the airflow sounds good to me. I think it would be interesting to see your results.

I don't have the huge issues with the rubber bumpers except for the rear one which DOES stick out too far. The front one when recessed is not a bad look on the car and combined with the later wheels gives a more modern updated look. I have often wondered if anyone has tried to trim the rear bumper to reduce it's depth. I seem to remember someone mounting a metal bumper in the rear painted a semigloss black with the rubber recessed bumper in the front. If you're using very wide tires like 245 or 255 in the rear then later rear end treatment give a more agressive and modern look.

The other look with the European S.S. bumpers is more delicate and to me firmly plants the look of the car in the late 1960's which is when it was designed. I like ithat way as well. I'm not a fan of the big hub caps though as I really like the design of the wheels which I think shows better WO the hub caps. It would be really great to see what 17" versions of those rims would look like. Maybe it wouldn't work?

Bob S.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That was a couple of years ago and they looked like really nice quality. The Factory ones were a bit crude.

Has anyone on here used these from this source?

Bob S.

14. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    For those who have been inquiring about remakes of the Bora Euro bumpers, contact Maurice at [email protected] and he will give you all of the information you need. He is the person making the conversion kit. He has excellent photos of the process of manufacturing and the finished results. Tell him that I sent you.

Elliot Siegel

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    And did you like the resutls?

Bob S.

16. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    As I recall, it is all rather costly. Then again, cost is relative.

Ciao,
    George

17. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    #17 gcmerak, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. emsiegel13

Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel

George is correct, the kit is not cheap at all but for certain the result of the change in the front of the US bora is dramatic. The US front bumpers are just plain ugly while Giugiaro's design is so elegant. Unfortunately, after you change the front, the rubber covered rear looks out of place. I believe that Giugiaro designed the rear so that it did not extend beyond the body line and therefore look correctly fitted to the rear. The picture of the Merak bumper shows that that particular change was not the proper bumper for the car. It shouldn't stick out the way it does. Personally, if the conversion wasn't as expensive as it is, I think everyone would change the Bora US bumpers. Giugiaro drew the original car as a whole and I think that everyone would agree that the design is harmonious if not seminal like the Ghibli.

Elliot Siegel

19. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Hi Elliot,

Let me say again that what you are doing with the Bora engines is fantastic. Oh sorry wrong thread!

The Merak picture has the correct Bora/Merak rear bumper, however it was unfortunately attached to the original US bumper attachment points. Therefore, way too low and susequently the ends extend outside the body line.

Ciao,
    George

20. Ron S

Ron S Karting

Nov 20, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Ron Scarboro
    He seems like a very nice guy and has sent a bunch of pictures of the process. Anyone bought the conversion from him? Have pictures of the end result?