Too much stuff on the steering wheel?! | FerrariChat

Too much stuff on the steering wheel?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jameel, Mar 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    After looking at pictures of the 458 Interior, I find that Ferrari put too much stuff on the steering wheel of the 458. What's up with that trend?

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The engineers hung everything they could on the steering wheel to make more space around the larger shift paddles. It was done on purpose that way.
    CH

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think it's great. It simplifies the look of the dash and seems to put more controls right in front of you.

I give them credit for cleverness and creativity. We need more thinking outside the box.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    looks like ferrari reinvented the wheel!

5. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    "Ferrari has worked out that if you change gear with paddles behind the steering wheel, then there really isn’t space back there for traditional stalks as well. They have therefore been ditched, and that sounds a good idea.

But it isn’t, because the buttons to operate the lights, the indicators and the wipers are now on the steering wheel, along with the usual knobs that start the engine and adjust the traction control system.

This doesn’t work. When you are travelling in a straight line, the left indicator button is on the left-hand side and that’s fine. But when you are going round a corner, the left indicator button is on the right. And it gets worse because at night, when a car is coming the other way, you have to fumble around to find the dimmer switch, which, if you are going round a corner at the time, is where you’d left the button for the wipers.

So, there you are, blinding oncoming drivers, with your left indicator on, turning right, and with the wipers going ten to the dozen because you turned them on accidentally while looking for the dimmer switch, and now you can’t find the button to turn them off." - Jeremy Clarkson

6. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    I think it's a bad idea too. I have a hard enough time remembering where the horn button is.

7. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Clarkson never lets the truth get in the way of the sound of his own voice.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Turn signal switches off automatically when you turn the wheel to opposite direction.
    You are supposed to turn the signal on before you make the change of direction ,not in the middle of it (that's what my mom does so she shouldn't drive a 458).

9. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Maybe they're going after the F1 look?

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    There are functional reasons to place controls on the steering wheel however this is also a marketing exercise for Ferrari. It started with the 'Manettino' on the F430 which had a slick sounding Italian name and became the focal point for the un-initiated to be 'educated' by the owner on the various race functions the car has derrived from F1. It is fair to say that the exotic and feel good factor outweigh any real benefits here. Ferrari after all is in the market of selling cars and the wheel controls are just another perk.

11. acarey617

acarey617 Karting

Jul 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I could've sworn there's another car that had the turn signals on the steering wheel.

Either way, I don't think this is very confusing or hard to operate. Like others have noted, you use the signals before a turn, not after one.

Perhaps it takes some time getting used to but I really can't see this being a huge inconvenience. I never was a fan of the multiple stalks anyway.

12. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    HaHa! Ain't that the truth... He does love to hear himself pontificate. In spite of his verbose and self serving nature, he does have a point. I think his point is better summed up by this post though:

13. JCC01

JCC01 Rookie

Jan 22, 2010
    #13 JCC01, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    I miss the steering wheel from the 360.

I overlooked just how good looking it was until they started putting controls on it in the 430. Didn't like the few controls on the steering wheel in the 430 now I really don't like it. Its not like your in a cramped F1 car without enough room to move your arms around and you need all kinds of controls right in front of your face.

There aren't even that many controls in a road car that need to be fine tuned on the fly so in order to continue to push the F1 theme they had to put what ever alse that was around on the wheel. Its almost like your "playing" or acting like you are driving an F1 car. sort of reminds me of one of those toys for babies to play with that have a little console and steering wheel so they can act like there driving. Don't get me wrong I love the car so much but that is one of my least favorite features.

I wish there was an option to have a normal steering wheel like in older Ferraris and the manettino switch and starter button located near there steering wheel, but not on it and all the other controls set up like they were before. Its just not necessary and a little over board.

14. jmm

jmm Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Doesn't the Enzo have the same turn signal switches on the wheel?

15. acarey617

acarey617 Karting

Jul 30, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Adam
    thats it, thanks.

16. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    More than once I've grabbed an indicator rather than a paddle in the F430.

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1!! I love it too! :D:D

18. Ferrari06

Ferrari06 Rookie

Apr 9, 2006
    This, in essence, is one of the reason why I dislike Clarkson. It seems like whenever something new comes out (that he is not used to, or does not want to get used to) he automatically disses it and speaks garbage about it episode after episode.

It's called GETTING USED TO THINGS! How does he expect progression without wanting to learn new things. Should we do all calculus problems by hand because using a calculator is too difficult?

19. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    See post #7.

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the Enzo the first Ferrari to have a bunch of things on the steering, followed by the F430?

21. JonW

JonW Rookie

Sep 3, 2006
    So have I, and I´ve also engaged low beam intending to downshift, so this is really a big improvement.
    But what I really miss is the head light beam being foot operated, like cars used to have it in the sixties.
    Now when you have nothing to do with your left foot that would be ideal to enable you to keep both hands on the wheel even in the dark. And sometimes I prefer to hold the wheel in a postion where I can´t reach the stalk to switch beam.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My Trans Am has a bunch of controls in the steering pad, mainly for the sound system, it didn't work very long....

We'll see if Ferrari's approach works.......

23. Jameel

Jameel Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Canada
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXsiZHprgU
    About 1:08 secs in to the video.

Clarkson confirmed exactly what I was saying about all that stuff on the steering wheel.
    Granted he's exaggerating for the sake of the video, but I still think too much stuff on the wheel.

24. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Having had my car for over a month all I can say is that the design of the wheel is great IMHO. Every function falls easily to your fingertips and is simple to use.

25. jenniferj521

jenniferj521 Rookie

Jun 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    #25 jenniferj521, Aug 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017