World Cup Watch | FerrariChat

World Cup Watch

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360stimo, Feb 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #1 360stimo, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    Well, Terry and Ferdinand are going to get ripped to shreds in the world cup playing the way they are. Terry cannot defend a simple long ball. Against us he missed one which Saha scored from today against Wolves he let two go over him which Wolves should have scored from. Ferdinand was a walk over vs AC Milan in mid week. Ashley Cole (prick) might not have games to find form after his injury and who the hell are we going to play at right back, Gary Neville or the over priced, over rated lump of **** Glen Johnson??? Wonderful.

Defence is shaping up well !!!

Not sure why anyone is talking about Wayne Bridge. He's crap. Warnock and Banies are the best English left backs in the country behind Cole.

Rooney could be totally knackered by the time the world cup comes around as he is having to carry Utd, who are badly missing the diving Portuguese ***got. Rooney was crap today.

Spain must be trembling with fear !

2. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Jon Terry dives in and misses to give Milito and Inter a goal inside 3 mins !

Cracking stuff John.

3. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #3 Hazy, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Stewart 430 Scud

Stewart 430 Scud Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Stewart
    Fq me you only just got there before me.

Who is RMD gate going?

5. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    The world of comedy mourns the loss

6. Stewart 430 Scud

Stewart 430 Scud Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Stewart
    Oh i dont know. :D

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    So, I forwarded the OP to my boys for comment - To say they disagree would be an understatement!.... I've edited the response very slightly as I don't want to get banned!.... My emphasis added ;)

Let the debate rage!

Cheers,
    Ian

8. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Or not........

9. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #9 360stimo, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    Have i heard of Lescott. Yes, as an Everton season ticket holder for quite a few years i can honestly say (probably more accurately than your 'boy's) that he is a ****e left back and an average to decent centre back at best. Man City bought the wrong Everton CB.

Richards at Man City? As a defender, useless as a wing back going forward - ok

Spector - don't make me laugh - in fact that did make me laugh - a lot

Wes Brown - crap and gets found out at the highest level time and time again

Glen Johnson - cannot defend. Ask any Liverpool season ticket holder.

Gary Neville - will get done by any sort of pace and ability now

Staggered that someone who wished Spector was English then claims Baines can't cut it. Fantastic stuff.

Right now, i'd have quite a few ahead of JT and Rio. If your picking on form that is. At their best JT and Rio are by far the best in the country, but when was the last time they were anywhere near in form. Terry has been at fault for goals and giving away opportunities in every single game he has played recently. Anyone see chelsea 2 Man City 4 ????, Inter game, Everton game, Wolves game etc etc

Fact is, we have very little chance of winning the World Cup. If all our 'top' players were fit, fresh and had some form, there was a realistic chance.

10. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    By the way if i am totally clueless, what would that suggest Capello is when he has decided on the two players i highlighted for the left back spot in Baines and Warnock ?

I'd suggest the 'boys' needs to use the phrase totally clueless whilst looking in the mirror

11. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Wow!!! Proper chest puffing internet warrior stuff there, very friendly banter :D:D:D

12. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Probably down to the fact i can't be arsed to have to learn or type out those smilie things

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    ;)

I guess I should have edited out the "totally clueless" bit as well..... Carefully reading the response it doesn't appear you're actually too far apart - You disagree on the Yank guy (George is a Hammers fan, so maybe is a little biased?), but are pretty much firing the same names around......

In any event, hopefully we don't need to resort to name calling - We're all Brits here after all and I think genuinely want England to do well. While I'm not "locked in" on form etc like you guys it also appears that JT and Rio remain the "best" options. It does seem to me that the "best in the world" have an ability to raise their games on the big stage so I for one aren't going to write 'em off.

Anyway, I've "invited" 'em both (George and Tom btw) to sign up on here so I can sit back and watch the debate unfold - I also "warned" 'em not to resort to any name calling! :)

Fact is, we *never* have much of a chance of winning the WC :( Hopefully our top guys will regain their form and Capello will work his magic...... Slightly OT, but I personally believe it's a travesty that England have a foreign manager. And don't even get me started on the number of "foreigners" in the prem!.......

Should be fun, cheers,
    Ian

14. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    I agree. England, no matter what sport it is, should have an English head coach.

The foreigners in the prem is one of my biggest gripes in sport. It's not just football, it's rugby too. It's an absolute disgrace the amount of over seas players that play in our domestic sporting leagues. It's the sole reason our national teams are crap. If you take rugby and football, look at the best teams, consistently over the years, you will see the teams that have the fewest foreign players in their domestic leagues are the succesful teams.

Rugby - New Zealand, South Africa and Australia. Virtually every player in their domestic teams can play for the national team.

Football - Brazil being the stand out example and Argentina not far behind them. German national team has seen the quality reduced the more and more foreign players play in the Bundesliga, Italy are suffering too (although strange to say as they are world champions), but they are not the greatest. Spain have the best team in the world at the moment, but they are like the England 2003 rugby team, occasionally a special team appears, but not often.

Bring in the 5 foreign players per match day squad ruling and bring in world wide salary caps for teams. Rugby Union has the salary cap right (nearly as teams do bend the rules).

As for England. Looking at tonight's games so far and how out of form (or injured) our defenders are, i think Capello might be best off looking at a 451 formation.

Play Rooney up front with two quick wingers supporting him, Lennon and SWP would be my choice if fit. Let Gerrard get forward and have two players helping the back 4 out, like Barry and erm, er, Carrick?

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    For reasons I can't remember now, my "clueless boys" disagree......;) Hopefully, one or the other will comment soon....

+1

Very possibly.

My comments, questions & 02c after watching 'em tonight:

- Rooney remains the first name on the team sheet. [Even if he's only got one leg......]
    - JT's wheels ain't what they used to be, but he's still the best we've got (?)
    - Crouch reminds me of (hockey Canada/SJ Sharks) Dany Heatley - He's the invisible man and does nothing - Apart from score goals! :)
    - Who's this SWP dude?
    - Who's the #1 keeper?
    - *After* they went a goal down, they looked pretty good IMHO. WTF?

Cheers,
    Ian

16. DJS

DJS Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Who do you suggest? Big Sam? Perhaps the melted candle Harry Redknapp? I can't see anyone English who is capable of coaching to the level of some foreigners.

17. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #17 360stimo, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Its a good question. In rugby, it's quite easy, we have a few quality candidates. Jim Mallinder being my outstanding candidate and the likes of Shaun Edwards and Dean Richards also top quality coaches. Dorian West, Graham Rowntree, Richard Hill and Cockerill are more than capable Eng coches.

In football, well i'd have to say Harry would be the best English candidate. Trouble is, most young talanted Eng managers in lower leagues do not get the chance in the Prem. We are far too quick to look abroad. I believe there are English managers that should they be given a chance, in the way DM has at Everton, would prove good.

Shaun O'Driscoll at Doncaster is one such manager i would love to see given a job in the prem.

Also like to add that i know sport is now totally Professional, which means you pick the right man for the job regardless. In sport i can't buy into that. I think FC is a world class coach and the best Eng could have, but i don't like having an Italian in charge. In rugby, Riki Flutey is a great player that we need, but he is a Kiwi and always will be in my mind. Same with Hape and Vianikolo (sp). Its not right

18. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    Ian,

SWP is Shaun Wright Phillips.

As far as i can see, we have Rooney being supported by Gerrard in attack and two wingers with serious pace in Lennon, Young or SWP getting forward is fine in attack. We could then have a back four with Barry and Carrick sitting in front of them offering support.

Thats how i would line them up anyway !

Crouch needs to go though. The guy scores goals. Never ever thought i would say that.

19. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I believe the FA needs to get to grips with the Premier League

My suggestion would be that the premier league establishes an all English Team which can never be relegated, the players must be no older than 23, at which point they must be transferred to another club. They will have a salary cap and managed by an English Manager.

No transfers, no agents, its a model to nuture the country's talent. Once their beyond 23, they leave.

Sort of similar to the US Football draft system - ie, the weakest clubs get first choice on the College drafts. The FA builds an English only club, and each year when the players are ready to move on, the lower performing clubs have first choice!

20. 360stimo

360stimo Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 23, 2005
    #20 360stimo, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    Even thought he's not good enough to start for the US?

(sorry, someone having the gaul to suggest our left sided problem would be solved if J. Spector was English has stuck in my head).

Oh and your friend telling me i should be looking at Lescott (Everton) Richards (Man City), Brown (Man Utd) and Neville (Man Utd) for England when not one of them has made the Eng squad, let alone the team.

Clueless (insert smiling smilie here)