The Ferrari Monoposto Corsa Indianapolis | FerrariChat

The Ferrari Monoposto Corsa Indianapolis

Discussion in 'F1' started by pastmaster, Mar 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Hi Gang,

Read this very interesting article on Enzo's Indy 500 Car. It didn't make qualifaction at Indy, but did for the Indianapolis/Monza Race.

Ferrari, through the years, and Mercedes-Benz, until Penske, raced M-B, at Indy, and won the race with a push-rod engine, had never been competive at Indy, including the pre-WW-II "Silver-Arrows," which tried to qualify in the post-war years. It was one of the "Great -Races," that Enzo, wanted to win, but never did. With FIAT returning to the USA, I wonder if Luca, will ever have the chance?

http://www.sportscardigest.com/ferrari-monoposto-corsa-indianapolis-car-profile/

Ciao...Paolo

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hmmm, confused I'm sure Ascari raced a Ferrari at Indy and was doing alright until a rear wheel broke.

Pete

3. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    G'day Pete,

I'm not knowledgeable of Ferrari's Indy Car History, but gonna research it. I know the Maserati, also broke it's wheel, after being a multiple winner, in the previous years.

Have a "Cold-One," for us Yanks, here in the frozen Midwest, Mate.

Ciao...Paolo

4. pastmaster

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    #4 pastmaster, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    More information if interested:

Pete

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
  7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Google Ferrari 637 Indy race car. Enzo's threat to the FIA to leave F1 at the time. They had Rahal and Albereto testing the car in Italy in 86 or 87. Engine later developed into the Alfa Indy project which started with Pat Patrick Racing and Guerrero and ended with Sullivan. What I can't find is the rumors of the day that someone lost a Chevy Ilmor engine that made it's way to Italy and became the base for the Alfa Indy motor. These were leased engines and tearing one down was a big no no.

I saw heated exchange on pit lane at Indy practice in 89 or 90 with the Ilmor guy's trash talking the Alfa team.

8. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #8 ProCoach, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    Hah! I remember when Pat nearly got his chopped off for that...

It was all over On Track magazine.

Fascinating 637 background here: http://forix.autosport.com/8w/march90ca-ferrari.html

From the same series of articles...

"Johnny Capels also provided assistance by selling off two of his Cosworths to Alfa. These engines went to Abarth in order to provide a baseline on which to evaluate the progress of their own engine. Alfa got a rude awakening.

Capels’ Cosworths were sent to FIAT Abarth at Torino in order to provide a baseline to compare the Alfa V8 with. It turned out that the Alfa had some 100 hp less. It resulted in a number of changes made in specifications and people assigned on the project.

It was early 1989 by now. Slowly but surely things began to develop before unraveling themselves rapidly. Which would eventually lead to what happened in 1990."

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The 637 is one of my favorite stories. Designed by Gustav Brunner, and based on a review of Rahal's March.

Lotus also had any Indy Car planned around the same time - I have pics somewhere. Wicked looking car too

10. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I haven't read all this yet, but that's a great link. I knew you would know. Thanks. :D

11. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #11 PSk, Mar 3, 2010
    Pete

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #12 PSk, Mar 3, 2010
    Sounds like it was a Cosworth not an Ilmor engine.

But as I read further you are indeed correct:
    Pete

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #13 dretceterini, Mar 3, 2010
    There were 2 cars that ran at Indy; one was mostly white, and the other was red. One of the mechanics on the Indy car team was the same man who later had a Ferrari repair shop in Hollywood, California, and who also was the person in part responsible for Ferrari's first win ever in 1947!! The 125 spun a bearing in the practice for Ferrari's first race, and the car was repaired in his shop! The same person was also the one that built the Alfa AMP 6c "special" (Alfa-Martinoli-Prete) that ran in the Mille Miglia; I believe in 1948. Tito Martinoli's shop was called Marcor....and was just south of Santa Monica Blvd, near La Brea. His son Mario is a fairly well know chef who lives in LA.....

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

The rumors I heard years ago is that the Alfa engine was almost directly a copy of the Chevy Ilmor that somehow got to Alfa in Italy to look at. The only one that might know the true story is Pat Patrick, who ran the Alfa Indy car team....