Interesting new option - Stop and Start | FerrariChat

Interesting new option - Stop and Start

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by shawminator, Mar 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shawminator

shawminator Karting

May 16, 2008
    Austin
    Interesting info reported by Omniauto stating that the Ferrari California will soon have a 'stop & start' option. Link and article below:

http://www.omniauto.it/magazine/11419/ferrari-california-con-lo-stopstart

"Hybridization of Ferrari begins from California. Fact, the coupe-cabriolet will be the first to have the car from Maranello Stop & Start system which will be applied in production starting this month and then extended to other models. The system studied by Ferrari expected to turn off the car just continue to hold down the brake pedal when you stop at traffic lights and will be sufficient lift to restart the engine in 230 ms. A very short time, thanks to recalibrated in the management of direct injection and is prepared in advance for the re-start the engine, less than it takes to pass the right foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. Of course, the stop & start be disconnected through a button and will be offered as an option at a price of 850 euro + VAT in Italy.

Ferrari says the California a improvement in terms of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by 6% in the combined cycle and 10% in the city, just where the 4.3-liter V8 to 460 hp to give their best effort, as it is designed to run in the vicinity of 8,000 rpm / min and push the small of Maranello up to 310 km / h with acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h in 4 seconds flat. California declares cycle average consumption of 13.1 litres/100 km and CO2 emissions equivalent to 299 g / km, with the stop & start the paper with the 78-liter tank you are about 40 km longer every full."

2. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The Panamera has that.

3. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Why someone would choose that option goes beyond me.

I have driven a few stop & start BMWs and found the system annoying. Fortunately it could be deactivated.

Anyway, how good can it be for the engine to stop and restart at every red light?

4. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    Thank goodness I have the 2010. Sounds like their going to muck it up a bit. More is not always better unless were talking HP!

5. Waldoonay

Waldoonay Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2007
    Ottawa/Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Walid Z
    That's also what I am curious about.

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Glad I have a 2010. However, reducing the overall fuel consumption may reduce the stupid gas guzzler tax ... that would be a good thing! No Yulanda, I am not a green freek (who cares about a little C02 amongst friends), just like saving greenbacks! And if you can turn it off then it does not matter at all.

7. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    i can't believe that anyone would pay extra for this in a ferrari! this sounds the same as a gasoline powered golf cart!

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This is a Euro legal requirement and may soon be a US one.

This system adds weight and complexity not to mention wear caused by start and stop.

Al Gore has won...

9. ignacio

ignacio Karting

Feb 25, 2004
    annapolis md
    al gore had a 4 page editorial in the ny time explaining why global warming was still a valid theory even though the u.s. and europe are suffering from the coldest snowiest winter on record. gore is a pathetic *******.

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    +429 on the pathetic

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Although I have no information to support my opinion, but somehow I doubt the US is going to impose this regulation anytime soon.

I would like Ferrari to allow Cali owners to disengage or reduce the intensity of the creep function. This is annoying when you come to a stop and then inch forward while the light is still red. The creep function keeps the revs higher than idle which burns more gas needlessly and also creates a somewhat unpredictable stop and go experience at low speeds.

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Good place to stop reading.

13. fyamamoto

fyamamoto Rookie

Sep 3, 2007
    Atlanta, Tampa
    Full Name:
    Franklin
    Al Gore = Sh*t head

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agreed. This will be a P.I.T.A. in the long run.

We're all better off with less crap coming out of tailpipes, whether climate change turns out to be true or false.

I'm sure people are still pissed off that we don't have asbestos in brakes or lead filler in bodywork, but outside of the vintage/collectible world I support doing what we can to keep cars around in a way that doesn't kill us.

(That said, this Stop and Start technology is probably the wrong way to go about it.)

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree but junk science and silly solutions are the road to Hell.

I'm all for cars like the new Porsche 918 which can meet all regulations without stop/start.

Cars as we know them are going away. Take the new US regulation because of Toyota that will require the throttle to stop operation when the brakes are applied. Down shifting will be a bit of a grind.

16. Tonycan

Tonycan Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2002
    Here and there
    Full Name:
    Tony C.
    The Prius comes standard with stop-start.

17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    +1
    +10 on the girlfriend thing! Mine has over 2,600 miles since Dec 5 in spite of the snow

18. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    I love blowing the doors off any Prius I see ... downshift to 2nd or 3rd & punch it while next to them ... I could save a bunch of gas if they would simply take every Prius off the road! Prius's are for hippies.

19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry to offend you with my opinion!

Okay then spill the beans, when will auto start stop be mandatory in the U.S.?

2011? 2012? 2013?

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMO? Won't be long.

“In Japan, we’re seeing anywhere from 7 to 9 percent fuel economy gains from it,(Start/Stop)” Davis said. “That’s a jump from 33 to 37 miles per gallon in a metro environment."

"Automotive News says that EPA is looking to make some rule changes that could give vehicles with stop-start a higher rating. A final decision is expected in April 2010."

Step by Step...

21. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    What are some good arguments against start stop.

Increased wear and tear on the engine?

Or would the 250 ms delay result in one or two less cars making it though the light at a busy intersection?

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Extra cost.

Extra complexity.

Extra weight.

Wear and tear on engine and batteries.

AC compressor wear and inefficiency.

Stop and Go in traffic jams.

10 times a day/365/ ='s 8+hours of your Life waiting for Godot.

Still not sure how anyone is going to downshift a car and brake at the same time if they are forced to brakes kill throttle.

23. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    I would not mind it on my hybrid. Probably makes some sense especially in light of the improved efficiency and emissions. But on my Ferrari? I think I would miss the start up roar of the Cali.... can't imagine that roar still happening at each stop and start.

24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    And they think Toyota sudden acceleration is a problem!

People are definitely going to get out of your way, when they see the new Auto Start Stop 2012 Ferrari in their rear view mirror!

25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hybrid Ferraris are coming, e.g. the green 599 on display at Geneva.

Actually it's kind of funny thinking of that roar on every auto start -- would scare the **** out of everyone, including the driver.