Broke my left Clavicle | FerrariChat

Broke my left Clavicle

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Davidt, Mar 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    I can’t believe it happened. Maybe I’m getting too old to play hockey…..or maybe I should just learn to keep my head up. ;) None the less I broke my collarbone. I have a comminuted fracture with angulation and an overlap of approx 2cm. Went to see an Orthopaedic surgeon who suggested that I could go either way as far as surgery goes. So I ask should I let it heal on its own or do I opt for surgery? Has anyone gone through this?

2. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Broke mine 3 years ago. My break was similar to yours. I decided to let it heal on its own, but after a couple of months, one shoulder was visibly drooping and was not as far out from the neck as the other one was. So, I went and got the surgery done. It was painless. 4 hour procedure on a thursday, no overnight stay or anything, and I was playing basketball by the weekend.

I was 37 when it happened. Glad I got the plate put in because now I know it's at least as strong as it originally was. Also, there is usually a "knot" where the break occurs if you let it heal on its own. With a plate, the knot is a lot less pronounced.

If you are over 30, I think you should get the screws and plate(s).

3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I played basketball and did pullups, pushups, handstands, shoulder presses, etc., to build up strength after a couple of months. I also swam to develop a full range of motion. Be sure to address strength, power, and stability in your recovery.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My friend in colorado broke her's and just had surgery about 1 month ago. I'd opt for the surgery personally.

5. coppi

coppi Rookie

Mar 29, 2009
    I broke mine a year ago playing hockey too. Broken in two places, 2cm reduction in length of the clavicle. I opted not to have the surgery, which was a big mistake (surgeon only expained the downside of having surgery - infections etc., didn't explain the downside of having a shoulder almost an inch out of place). I have ok use of the shoulder now for everyday movement, but the muscles and ligaments are a mess. I wouldn't be able to play volleyball or basketball without serious discomfort. Because the position of the shoulder has changed so much, my 40 yr old muscles are struggling to adapt. I'm still doing physio every week to correct this and it is very slowly getting better. I still get lots of muscle stiffness and tension as well as headaches from the muscles that run from the shoulder up the neck. So, if I had to do it over again, I'd be opting for surgery.

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    with 2 cm overlap I would choose surgery (assuming I had no medical problems that would make surgery more risky)

not medical advise, yada yada... just what I would do.

7. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    Well it has been 2 1/2 weeks. I feel pretty good. My Ortho said that he felt that leaving it was the best course. I'm worried, going to see another Doc on Monday. I hope it's not too late. :(

8. Davidt

Davidt Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave T.
    #8 Davidt, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    One more thing.....How long did it take for the bone to fuse?

9. coppi

coppi Rookie

Mar 29, 2009
    #9 coppi, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    I was in a sling for 6 weeks, at which time the bone had fused enough to let my arm start dangling on its own. It was a good 6 months though before the xrays showed solid calcium buildup, and I was told it would be a year before it would be completely healed. I now have a bump the size of a golf ball (no exaggeration - it's visible even when wearing a shirt) holding the broken bits together, and it's likely stronger than before - just not in the correct shape or position. Good luck with your next appointment.

10. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    if you are young, i would let it heal on its own.

i broke my left clavicle snowboarding off one of those high ski jump ramps (cant even imagine how i landed that way!) in my mid to late 20s. The bone break was clean and without any bone shattered/fragments (which is the best way to break a bone if there is one). I wore the shoulder brace 24/7 for the 2 weeks (and sling for a few days), and then wore the back brace only when i was at home after the 2 weeks.

Its kind of a b!!tch to wear that back brace (it kept my shoulders pulled back to align the clavicle in the right position) while trying to type on a computer keyboard because that position forces you to move your shoulders a bit forward. Anyways...that may have been the reason why it took much longer for my broken clavicle to heal. I think mine took a few months to heal completely.

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, a bone knot does form over the breakage area. However, after a few years, the knot goes away and you can hardly feel it.

You definitely will have to stretch the arm and shoulder muscles (the broken clavicle side) a lot as you will see that they are mad mad tight in order to regain your original flexibility. Get a lot of calcium intake and you should be fine

11. shredder66

shredder66 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Melbourne/Singapore
    I fractured my left clavicle last year in a sporting accident, luckily it was a minor fracture and not a clean break. I actually thought it was just a sore shoulder for a few days before I went to the Doctor, who did an x-ray and told me it was a fracture. Since it was minor I didn't need surgery, and instead wore a sling for about a month. I think it was about 6 weeks before I felt confident enough to play soccer again, and no problems since

12. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    Considering the fracture was not only comminuted but also mal-aligned and overlapped I would opt for the surgery.

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I broke mine several years ago in a dirt bike crash. I did not get the option of having it plated, instead it was healed naturally. Now my left arm is about 2" shorter than my right. My golf game went to crap and I have to bend the left side of the handle bar on my dirt bikes and jet-skis back to feel comfortable on them.