Ipod connection in F430 | FerrariChat

Ipod connection in F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by wlracing, Feb 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    Any one use the Ipod dock in there F430 ? if so does it charge and can it be turned off without disconnecting ? I am useing A Gen 5 Nano works great but does not charge and must disconnect to turn off .

2. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    I believe it will charge an iPod, but not an Iphone.

Not sure what you mean by can it be turned off... if you mean the car, then.. yes.

I leave my iPod connected in the glove box and never really mess with it. The onscreen controls on the headunit work pretty well.

I only use my iPhone if I have a new song that isn't on my iPod.

3. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    I mean the Ipod screen stays live when the car and radio are turned off .The display on the Ipon screen says this device does not support charging , it has been suggested to me that a Generation 3 Ipod has a different voltage so may charge ?

4. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    I've been told there is an adapter that fits between the ipod and the connection to the car to remedy the non-charging supported ipods and iphones.

5. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There is, indeed.

6. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    Would this adapter also allow the Ipod to turn on & off with the radio ?

7. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    What Ipod do you use ?

8. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
    on my ipod touch, in our 430, leave in the glovebox, plugged in and forget about it.

on the 16m, have to remove and recharge at the end of the day. kinda sucks
    cal

9. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    Does the 430 have an adapter for more recent Ipods/iphones? That's odd that your 16M doesn't charge it. I'm assuming it's the same ipod in both cars.

10. m.roberts

m.roberts Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2009
    USA
    The standard 430 has a dock wire in the glovebox.... The 16m and scud have a weird thing where the iPod clicks into the headunit.

I haven't paid attention whether or not the iPod turns on or off with the car. I'm sure it just pauses and then turns into suspend mode from inactivity.
    As long as u get the adapter that I linked to earlier, it really shouldn't be an issue

11. sclja

sclja Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 23, 2004
    San Diego Ca
    Full Name:
    Scott Cairncross
    you can get the charge / voltage step down adapter it drops the 12 volts to 5 volts which is what all new ipods and iphones need to charge...The device won't work in the 16m or the scud dock .... The device doesnt turn the ipod on and off. If anyone needs an adapter I have them in stock .

Scott La Jolla Audio

12. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    Is Gen 3 Ipod Nano 12 volt or 5 volt ?

13. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Do all MYs have IPOD connection abilities are are there specific radio options you have to have? Thanks!

14. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    Factory option on later cars in UK, dont know about USA .

15. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I plug my nano into the connector and leave it... I never touch it. It's worked this way since the car was new in '07.

Of course, last month I went to use it and all the music had been magically erased :D

A great excuse to reload the iPod with _even_ better music.

16. kryten22uk

kryten22uk Rookie

May 28, 2007
    Guys, I have bought a Becker ipod connector for my Cascade, and it can/does plug into the back of the unit. however a question:

Those of you who have them in Glovebox, is there a way of feeding the connector into the Glovebox, assuming I didnt have the OEM iPod connectivity option?

Alternatively,

Those of you who have ipods sitting in the centre console square pockets (next to launch control etc) do you have a hidden or neat way of the connector wire getting there from behind the stereo, or is it just free-form?

Ta

17. Apple Sauce

Apple Sauce Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2008
    Wide Open Throttle
    Full Name:
    Vic
  18. kryten22uk

kryten22uk Rookie

May 28, 2007
    I did read that and saw your comment regarding the OEM cable being too short, and tucked into pocket. But was wondering what people do with the aftermarket longer cable, especially comments in other threads talking about the glovebox; I cant see how to get it into the glovebox.