Children Directing Airplanes | FerrariChat

Children Directing Airplanes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by agup48, Mar 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The important thing is that the pilots knew what was going on and it wasn't some prankster with a radio.

If they discipline these controllers I am moving to Canada. What has the world come to?

The blond is right. Ask the controller not to do it again, case closed. The kid did a great job.

If the FAA really cared about radio safety we wouldn't still be using the same radios from the 1940s. How about duplex radios with technology to avoid blocked transmissions. Lives have been lost due to these ancient radios.

Dave

3. sparky p-51

sparky p-51 Formula 3

Aug 8, 2004
    klamath falls, Or.
    Full Name:
    steve
    Pretty sure the tower chief and the kids dad will be walking the streets soon.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And they should be. It was dumb. If they cannot understand how important the perception factor alone was they are too stupid to be collecting a paycheck out of my tax dollars.

5. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
  6. 1ual777

1ual777 F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Just saw the government's new unemployment figures for the month. Next month there will be 2 more on it. Sometimes adults just do not think.

7. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    Blown way out of proportion...there are a lot more important things that need to be taken
    care of in the industry...must have been a slow news day......

8. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    There is no doubt that it was blown out of proportion - in reality.

But the problem is perception - and the perception of the public is that a child was directing air traffic - period.

This is similar to the Domino's pizza video posted on Youtube last year. Nothing actually happened to anyone's food - but look at what the perception of what happened did to Domino's and specifically to that specific store.

Those Domino's employees should have known to avoid giving that bad perception - and for sure professional ATC's should have considered the perception of their actions.

9. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Dumb beyond question...and wasn't the guy a supervisor, not just a rank controller?

10. aseweepay

aseweepay Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2004
    Mid-West
    From another forum:

Pilots Support Kid Controller's Dad

The FAA has banned tower visits, and airline pilots using New York's JFK Airport are showing support for tower controller Glenn Duffy and his supervisors after Duffy allowed his kids to issue instructions over the tower frequency in mid-February. The pilots are signing off their transmissions with "Adios," the salutation Duffy's nine-year-old son delivered in two of his transmissions Feb. 16. His twin sister took the mic a day later. According to the New York Daily News, some are amplifying their discontent with the fate that might await the controllers. "Thoughts going out to your co-worker there," the newspaper reported a Delta pilot departing Kennedy Airport was recorded on LiveATC as saying. "I think it's BS what he's going through."

However, if Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood is tuned into 119.1 or 123.9 he's not paying much attention to the pilots' support. "This is a stunning example of a lack of professionalism, not following the rules, not using common sense," LaHood told a Senate committee March 4. "The air traffic controller and his supervisor are on administrative leave and we are doing a thorough and complete investigation. The idea that a young child would be directing planes in and out of an airport is totally unacceptable." Meanwhile, media reports say the kids are blaming themselves and the family is under stress from the incident.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yep- That was always my worry, that someone would speak over the radio while I was on the ground and that would cause my wings to fall off, the landing gear to retract, or the bombs to fall off the wings.

Get a grip, much ado about nothing. Getting instructions on the ground is a no threat environment with an experienced controller dictating and listening to every word spoken, regardless of who spoke the words. If any of the crews had been worried, they would have complained and the father would have come on line in a flash. Nobody complained, just someone tattled.

Can tell there is not much bad going on in the States when this causes indignant comments. What a joke and sad statement on us.

Any professionals out there feel any differently? Flyers who fly for a living, that is.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

12. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

I'm a frequent flier and had I heard this on UAL's channel 9 for example it would not have bothered me one bit.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kds- Me either. Just a smile.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

14. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    There seems to be at least 1 on this thread, and 1 or 2 on the other.

Like I said above, I have no doubt that there were any safety issues. But I can understand the perception that there were safety issues by the general public.

Can you understand that the general public, especially given the news coverage of this, now probably thinks less of ATC's in general because of this? And that they probably think that there were major safety issues with what happened?

It is that perception that is the problem - not what happened.

Unfortunately these guys might lose their jobs because of that. Either it is okay to let your kids speak, or it isn't. You guys are the professionals in this industry - do you want kids in the tower, or at the center, parroting their mother or father - or do you not?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bubbles- Without all the indignant press coverage, it was not even a story. If airline sales dropped 20% the day after the story broke, I would be worried. Frankly, what the American public feels about ATC is not of much interest to me, only whether the professionals believe safety was compromised is important. We all know it was not compromised.

Amateurs' perceptions are only useful in press releases. If they fire the controller, they are clueless, and it is a kneejerk reaction to a public relations issue that has no affect on air traffic safety.

More politically correct indignation is just what we need. Plus the American public has the attention span of a parakeet, so it will blow over quickly. Kids talking every day in the tower? No, they will be in school and unable to participate. Certainly not going to happen again after everybody got on their high horse.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

16. BubblesQuah

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    No doubt, this is a public relations issue. I suspect the issue cannot be resolved without the firing of the controller in question - as right or wrong, the public will probably accept nothing less.

Now, if the media would let it go for a few weeks, I think you are right - no one will even remember. But again, I doubt they will let that happen..