Ready to Buy a 308QV GTS Euro - Take a look at this one | FerrariChat

Ready to Buy a 308QV GTS Euro - Take a look at this one

Discussion in '308/328' started by fchip, Mar 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    #1 fchip, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys -

First, thanks for all of the help the past year as I have been on the hunt for my first fcar. For better or worse I have decided what I want is a Euro QV, probably GTS since I am down in the sunny south. I thought I had found the "perfect" QV when I came across this one. Unfortunately, the first set of photos I got from the seller were a lot nicer than these that I took when I finally got up to the great white north to inspect the car!

Based on your suggestions, I brought along Tim Keseluk to check out the car with me. He was a great help, and a good insurance policy to make sure I didn't get an incurable case of red fever while I was there! Here is what we found:
    The records have still not been located so no idea when the last belt service was done. Water pump was sounding a bit sketchy. CV joint on right side might need to be replaced. Metric wheels and tires need to go. Seats are more worn than I saw in the original photos, but no tears or cracks. Non-std exhaust (part of the CA certification maybe?) Most worrisome or confusing is the rework on the front bumber and what appears to be some overspray on the front. On the plus side, it seemed to be a pretty solid car. Presented as having only two owners (I'm checking in on that.) Other mechanicals seemed respectable.

So -- what do you think?! I haven't found many Euro QV's lately and want to take the plunge soon. Are these issues deal killers? Can some elbow grease and detailing save the seats? What do you thnk about that front bumper? Appreciate any thoughts/insight you have.

Serial number is 47163 by the way.

Thanks,

Chip
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Is it really a euro or is it just a euro front spoiler with the front bumper pushed in?

3. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Side marker lights look to be US to me. Not Euro...

PDG

4. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    The rear bumper has no diaper, so thats a little confusing...

PDG

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Are those metric wheels too??

PDG

Sorry for all the double/triple posts here, but I am noticing more and more as I look through these photos....

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #6 308 GTB, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    That's a correct Euro rear valance, Patrick. No diapers on Euros, just the double cutaway valance.

Chip, these flaws aren't deal-killers. It's up to you how perfect you want your car to look. The bumper can be fixed or replaced and the seats can be freshened up. Hopefully you'll use the car enough to do the seats again soon.

It sounds like this car is in need of some servicing. Factor that in your bargaining with the owner.

Barry

7. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    I think it is a Euro, properly converted for CA back in the 80's. I'm not looking for perfect, and in fact want a car that I can spend some wrench time with. Didn't really like the sound or looks of the current exhaust. Can I get a good aftermarket unit to bolt on to a Euro model? I'm waiting to see what level of detail (if any) I get from the seller regarding the "complete paperwork" that supposedly exists. At the moment I'm figuring there might be $7-10k of work in the items I listed above.

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The car was federalized and US sidemarkers added.

Chip, the ID plates will confirm Euro version. There will be a federalization sticker added indicating who did the conversion.

9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

Several brands are readily available.

You're figuring correctly.

10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Ahh, I am learning here, so please forgive my ignorance. I thought the bumper looked like a Euro, but the side markers and a few other things left me with questions.

Are those indeed metric wheels too?

PDG

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #11 308 GTB, Mar 5, 2010
    That's OK, Patrick. We're all learning here. There were several 308 rear treatments along the way. My US fiberglass GTB has the non-cutaway "mail slot" rear valance (pictured below). When the Factory switched to steel, a slotted transitional diaper was added (also pictured below).

Euro 2-valve 308s have a single-cutaway rear valance as pictured below.

Diapers came along when catalytic converters were added.

I apologize for the digression.

Barry

12. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Wonderful info - thank you!!!

PDG

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #13 308 GTB, Mar 5, 2010
  14. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Chip,

is this the car that you and I chatted about? Looks pretty good. I think its just going to come down to acquisition price plus what you are willing to put (need to) put into it.

With no records....immediate major service for belts, tensioners, and whatever gremlins are found. Figure $3-5K.

Interior: You saw it up close. Just looks dry to me. Probably something that Leatherique or some other leather treatment can handle. (hopefully).

Exhaust: Not sure what that exhaust is. I'd budget $2K for a replacement Tubi, X-Ost or something.

But nice find, based on what you have told me previously.

Best of luck with it.

John

15. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    Looks like a very clean Euro QV, good luck. You're likely aware of the main Euro QV visuals: Passing Lights with narrow grill, Turbo Vitoloni outside mirrors (should have the small rectangular Scudria Shields) and the clean Euro rear exhaust valance. Unless DOT removed it, it should have the Space Saver spare wheel/tire.

16. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    #16 fchip, Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks all for the responses and info. More questions for a relative rookie:
    - Where would I find the federalization sticker?
    - Which ID plate will confirm a Euro?
    - There are no shields on the mirrors, but they appear to be authentic for Euro
    - Cost and source for correct Euro bumper?
    - Also, the shields were applied crooked and do not sit tightly on the body. Can I remove without damaging the paint? Are there shields that can be mounted tightly to the body? (I am still not convinced I want the shields on though.)

Apologize if these are redundant questions, but I haven't found all my answers in Keith Bluemel's book, or SCM, etc. You guys are a much better source of the truth.

Chip

PS - If you know of any other Euros for sale let me know as I haven't pulled the trigger on this one yet.

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    #17 GrayTA, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
    The eighth digit in the VIN is a "B" which is definitely Euro.

Check out Yoshield.com for better fitting shields.

The mirrors look like the Vitalonis, which is what my car has too although applied as aftermarket (mine is US).

Dont know sources for the items you are looking for, so I cant help there, but I do KNOW that they are out there. Someone was looking for one just a week or two ago.

PDG

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #18 thecarreaper, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010

i answered your questions as best i could in your quote with ****** to set my replies off. there may have been a better way to do it, but its a lazy day for me!

ps, i had a euro GTB QV, and i took off the factory Ansa Sport muffler. if you need it, pay the shipping and $50.00 from Savannah Georgia and ill send it to you. its in my way!
    Michael

19. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    Thanks for the info. The shields were $450 and are in fact metal. But they don't sit tight on the body and they are crooked!
    What did you replace your original exhaust with?
    And, how did you get the mirrors to stay tight when adjusted?!

20. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I know the source of a much better Euro QV, located in Northern California for sale, I have no affiliation to the car, PM me if you want the details.

Geno

21. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    sorry, i did not know they were metal, that changes things a bit! i never had any issue with my mirrors, in fact, i dont think i ever really messed with them, as i could see fine out of them where they were.

i have used Magnaflow mufflers on 3 of my 308s so far. $500.00 installed, with parts and labor, and the car is not modified at all. they also sound great!

i did a few threads with pics that should not be too hard to find, or pm me and i will lok for them for you. the Ansa muffler is also very heavy, not as heavy as an early Thermoreactor muffler, but it aint light! the Magnaflows i have put on are very light, and are polished stainless steel. purists may decry them, but a Tubi and the like are $$$$$$, and not worth it to me.

22. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #22 thecarreaper, Mar 6, 2010
  23. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Matt (MBFerrari) just put a Magnaflow on his QV. He even posted a couple of vids somewhere. Maybe send him a PM if you cant find the videos. I would repost, but wife just called me to leave...

PDG

24. Amnster

Amnster Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    NorCal
    Euro QV in California for sale? Info please...PM sent.