Any Mountain Bikers ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any Mountain Bikers ?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chicko, Sep 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mlody

Mlody Karting

Oct 5, 2009
    Poland
    Full Name:
    David
    #26 Mlody, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
  3. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Each to there own i guess. But you have arms too, so why not dump your front suss and go to ridged forks :)

4. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #29 etip, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    I just picked up a Mountain Cycle Fury. Cool bike.
    My Yeti got stolen a few years back and I'm just now getting around to getting another bike and figured I would like to try a suspension bike -esp since I don't have any legs anymore... ;-)

5. live2boutside

live2boutside Rookie

Feb 1, 2008
    Picking up a Gary Fisher 09 Piranha in a week or so. I'm 50 and looking for something to compliment my running. I've ridden on rail trails and fire roads before .... hoping that the mountain bike will help me explore more trails.

6. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

Congratulations ! If your anything like me, you might find that your running after a while will take a back seat, and be replaced by more and more and biking.. For me i think its due to the fact that mountian biking is not only great for fitness, but there's a host of skills to develop, and at times its full of adrenalin, so its much more mentally stimulating then running. It also allows exploring places easily that would otherwise be to far or difficult to do on foot !

7. group77racing

group77racing Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Often Imitated
    Full Name:
    Never Duplicated
    #32 group77racing, Feb 16, 2010
    Just finished, as in this past weekend, restoring my 1986 Cannondale SM600. I bought it new in '86 when I worked at our local bike shop. 24" rear 26" front wheels, Cunningham brakes and leg shredding beartrap pedals. Bought all new NOS 80's Suntour XC Pro components and added a few current items. Azonic bars, brave machine rims and Moto Digger tires. Keeping the 'ol Brooks saddle on. I like old school rigid MTB's, I feel they are easier to control when doin' jumps and more power to the ground when you need it. Had Waterford Cycles (formerly Paramount Design Group, a Schwinn Co. ) paint it for me. This bike is better than new. Come on now, don't ride me on the bike leaning on my car,the only part touching the Ferrari is the leather Brooks on the mirror...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    am thinking of getting a MTB bike too,.. thinking of getting a Cannodale or Gary Fisher.. there seem to be a few on EBAY, anywhere else I can look for them in the states.. I am looking for a used one. or should I buy brand new?

9. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    Nice....i have a Raleigh MT-800 (i think) that i put 24 speed shimano XT components on.
    It has a bonded aluminum front half/steel rear section frame.

+ a old school Specialized Rockhopper that i "rescued" from some kid that was riding it as a single speed and bent the front fork. I painted it up and used the 21 speed stuff from the Raleigh (wheels and all)except for the rear brake, as it's so old it has a chain stay brake(old school side pull stuff) on it(on the bottom behind the crank), The brake parts were all there except for a brake cable guide that screwed to the bottom of the frame under the crank, and i found that at one of the local bike shops in their used parts bin. I used a fork off a Giant a buddy had put some cheapo shock fork on, the head tubes were the same size.

doug

10. BigSky355

BigSky355 Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp- my first full suspension bike. Wow, this is going to be fun...

11. veyron407

veyron407 Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    canada
    I just got a new bike to a trek 3900 2010 disc model, in flat black. Will pick it up monday.

12. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    I decided to go full-suspension 29er... I am building a Niner R.I.P. 9 with XT drivetrain, custom wheels (XT rear hub, HOPE front hub, with DT Swiss spokes and rims), and a Fox FIT fork. The frame comes with an RP23 shock.

Before this I rode a 2004 Giant Yukon since new. I rode the snot out of that bike :) Wore out (and replaced) the entire drivetrain and replaced the elastomer fork with a RockShox Dart 3 when it started acting up.

I also have a road bike (C-dale CAAD 8) that I've raced a few times, but I really like mountain biking better. I've always lived where there's good riding for both, which makes me feel blessed.

13. 412fan

412fan Karting

Aug 1, 2005
    Northern Plains
    I finished the bike. It rides very nicely. I haven't even dialed in the suspension yet, only set the sag "sort of" right to go riding (for shakedown), and even so it was very nice. Handles well too. Had none of the issues that some people complain about re: 29ers. Plenty responsive.

14. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #39 michael platzer, Nov 22, 2010
    have my FSR Comp for more than a year now. its a bit heavy compared to my old Specialized S-Works M2 but its much easier to handle downhill.

15. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    #40 michael platzer, Nov 22, 2010
  16. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
    Good riding up here in Lake Tahoe. Been on a Kona Coiler that's been built up to a Coil Air: Fox 32 Float Fork, Fox DHX Air rear shock, Shimano Deore XT components, Hayes disc brakes. I thought I would need the travel for my 230 pounds of speed and grace being a clydesdale rider, but I hardly use it all. The classic Panaracer Smoke is a great all surface tire for our terrain.

I'm on a Specialized Roubaix Comp for the roadie bike. It's nice to keep a cadence at times as well.

There's no need to get a new bike, it can be an expensive investment to get into only to find out you don't like it. Most places will rent their equipment, and you can find a geometry you like. Looking back, I would have gone with an XC bike instead of a freeride bike, but it's still a blast. It's a fun learning curve to get into.

A good place to check out used bike is: www.pinkbike.com You can find some really good deals on it. It's kind of like a consignment website for bikes.

17. NV Stig

NV Stig Rookie

Apr 12, 2010
    Lake Tahoe, NV
  18. atripinreality

atripinreality Karting

Aug 19, 2008
    Yardley, Pa
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That is just insane.

Just bought an '06 Schwinn Mesa(pre-bankruptcy schwinn) XT everything, Bomber Pro Lo, Cane Creek Hs. I loved the frame- its extremly upgradable- so out with the old in with the new. The only factory parts on it now besides the frame, is the seatpost and half of the brakes (pads and levers are upgraded)
    Hopefully this awful NE weather will end soon so i can get out there!

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    WOW! That's one of the coolest videos I've seen in a while. What's the elevation change from start to finish? I don't know if they were making those jumps downhill or on flat land...I could never do that either way, lol.

20. atripinreality

atripinreality Karting

Aug 19, 2008
    Yardley, Pa
    Full Name:
    Chris
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o&feature=related[/ame]

I like to watch this one before riding. It NEVER gets old for me. Cant do and wont try most of whats in there but its still inspiring to a point. He and the bike are one.

21. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    This is my favorite video of Danny Mac.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw[/ame]

I like watching this one before I go ride. Get's me into the mindset of smooth flow.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3nkzjACUG4[/ame]

22. atripinreality

atripinreality Karting

Aug 19, 2008
    Yardley, Pa
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Trying to plan a 2 day Mtn Bike trip just for fun before Whistler next year.
    Anyone in the NE ever been to Diablo?

http://www.ridediablo.com/

23. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #48 mustardfj40, Jun 18, 2011
    Love mtb'ing, has been doing it for more than 15 years, I do mostly XC.

It ain't about the bikes, but what the heck, one of my bikes:

24. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Heresy! Lance lies!

Sure, I don't NEED my carbon frame mountain bike and I would be just fine on a cheaper metal frame, but it's a hell of a lot of fun and I can go faster because I'm having to continually accelerate a heavy bike. I also ride road and I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new road bike frame that I absolutely don't need because it's one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen. There is nothing wrong with my current road bike. Nothing at all. It just doesn't move me the way the one I want does. :)

25. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    #50 anotherguy, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Incidentally, tonight I discovered that my mountain bike was stolen out of my parents garage (I don't have room for both bikes) within the last week or so. If anyone comes across a 2011 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 29er, white with red accents, size large for sale on eBay, Craigslist or at your LBS, pawn shop, swap meet, out of the back of an El Camino, etc. please let me know.