California on Nuerburgring | FerrariChat

California on Nuerburgring

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by [email protected], Mar 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gk@kco.no

Mar 3, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Geir Knutsen
    I had my California delivered in June '09, and so far, I have been at Nuerburgring twice. I will go there a couple of times this year as well! Driving the California under such conditions is what the car really is made for! It is fantastic at high speeds, the handling is super, and the performance is great.

Many of my friends drive Porsches there. They were really impressed about the performance, and of the gearbox of the California, when they sat in my passenger seat for a lap.

The spectators was applauding when I passed at high rev's! The Porsches cannot beat the sound!

Try it - but be careful. the track is a killer also! I hired an instructor to join me the first weekend.

Geir

2. gk@kco.no

Mar 3, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Geir Knutsen
    Also, at my last trip to Germany, I was testing the top speed, together with a friend in a 430 Scuderia and one in a Porsche GT2. We were driving on the German Autobahn in the Nuerburgring area in speeds exceeding 300 km/h for more that 30 minutes. The most fantastic experience in a car ever!

Geir

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    It sounds like you had an excellent time!

Do you have any photos, or videos of those times at the track and on the Autobahn?

4. F50CHAP

F50CHAP Karting

Nov 20, 2007
    uk
    Full Name:
    matt
    Glad to hear that you drive the cars as they were meant to be driven!

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Did your front right wing take a bit of a pounding?

6. gk@kco.no

Mar 3, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Geir Knutsen
    You were not supposed to see that!

Uphill from Bergwerk in about 200 - 220 km/h I was passing an old Audi, he suddenly turned left and into my right side. I had to turn left, off the track out on the grass, over the curb. The car was still a 100 % stabile, and easy to handle. It was not a very pleasant moment though!

The driver of the Audi turned out to be a police officer from Frankfurt, illegally testing his policecar on the track. He looked very uncomfortable afterwards. The insurance has paid to fix my California, and it is now again in perfect condition!

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Wow, that must have been a heart stopping moment for you. Glad it wasn't more serious and you were unhurt.

8. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Not that many Cali owners will use their car like this I guess...

Enjoy in good health! Probably see you sometime @ the Ring.

Gr. Martin

9. Ari

Ari Karting

Feb 23, 2010
    Everglades City FL
    Full Name:
    Ari Silversteinn
    #10 Ari, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
    Truer words never typed. No runoffs, if you miss you're likely maimed or dead. They close down the track so often due to major crashes that you are best not to try to allocate only one day to run there.

I found the place scarier than Hell. There must be a dozen deaths a year that go unreported.

There is oil all over the place and if you are running late in the day when there have been several mishaps, it's a given you are going to contact a patch. If it is wet, I pass.

If that isn't bad enough, expect you are most likely going to end up, as did the OP, with someone else doing something incredibly stupid and forcing a shunt.

Nope, no thanks, I have Ringed enough (10x) and I ain't Ringing no more.

YMMV

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i think the ding is a bit hard to hide but i applaud you for getting that girl to drop her skirt.

11. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    Beautiful pictures and beautiful car! I love seeing the lean of the car in the corners. Good to see you enjoying it in good health!