1958 Pontoon Fender TR hairpin springs or coil? | FerrariChat

1958 Pontoon Fender TR hairpin springs or coil?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Derek250TR, Feb 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derek250TR

Derek250TR Karting

May 7, 2006
    Longmeadow MA
    Full Name:
    Derek B
    In Joel Finns book he talks about Ferari's altering the heads in 1958 from inside plugs to outside plugs, but he says they left everything else the same. I am infering that that means the hairpin springs remained. He later sdays that in 1959 they upgraded other vehicles including the TR to coil springs. Anyone have an opinion of what type of valve springs the 1958 TR was using.

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The highly detailed Inomoto cutaway drawing of the pontoon-bodied Testa Rossa shows hairpin valve springs. I don't know when they changed to coil springs, but I'm sure someone here will know.

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    After looking through some old material, my "guess" would be that only the prototype Testa Rossa had a 250GT engine (hairpin springs) and that all other Testa Rossas had the 250TR engine (coil springs).

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Iam pretty sure 0754 has (or had prior to conv) hairpins.

john

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    According to the article on 0754 in "Road & Track Exotic Cars #7", David Love bought the car in 1964. At that time:

"The engine was a real mess. I was able to drive the car about six feet in the first year or so I had it." The first job thus became one of getting the car into running condition. The original TR block was so used up that restoration at that point was beyond Love's resources, so the old-boy network went into action to come up with a substitute. This was ultimately supplied by Otto Zipper, who located a 250GT block from a cabriolet that would serve as a stopgap. Love later located a 250GT block that would take the Testa Rossa heads, and he ran the car with this setup for 14 years before finally having restoration of the original block completed by Messrs Ross cummings and Phil Ritter of Griswold Company in Berkeley.

So if 0754 had a 250GT engine in it, at least for a time, then it did indeed have hairpin springs in it at that time. If it has a fully correct 250TR engine in it now, then it should have coil springs.

6. elmotorizado

elmotorizado Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2009
    valencia, venezuela
    Full Name:
    branko
    From what I have read the coil springs came first with the TR59 model, there is a nice article in Ultimatatecarpage about the changes from TR58 to TR59.
    branko

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    A period Inomoto drawing shows hairpins, but let's see what DL says. I just sent him an email.

john

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I got this back from DL and thought I would share:

+++++++++++++

My heads were fitted with coil springs in the early 70’s after David Clarke spent a season unsuccessfully having several sets of springs made to order.

The1957-1958 run of 19 (21 ?) cars for special customers used heads unlike any others. I remember seeing a cylinder head in the Chinetti stock bought by Will Haible some time ago.. It was painted dark red,had hairpin springs and a four stud head pattern – a combination I have seen nowhere else.. Beginning in 1959 the 250 GT engines used coil springs and 6 port heads- -Lusso e Competetzione. Since the 4 bolt /hairpin spring combination appears during one season only, a good guess would be it was a test piece. But consider the source: a leaky memory operating over 5 decades.

The one thing you ou can count on from Ferrari is wjhen you are sure, publically and in print, that they "never/always" fit that piece at the works, evidence will appear r to the contrary . It is Italian, iasn’t it?

DL