scan tool | FerrariChat

scan tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by garybryan, Mar 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garybryan

garybryan Karting

Nov 6, 2006
    Denver
    does anybody have experience or knowledge on these st5 scan tools for ferrari being sold out of tampa, fl. i've been looking for a sd2 for my shop, but the cost is crazy.

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I use one here, my volume won't support the factory SD's, so far it has worked out pretty well. A little long winded to use, small screen, a few things it will not do (360 instrument cluster) that I have run across but a reasonable alternative. My closest SD's are 2+ hours away. I need to update with the 430/599 package soon though.

HTH, Brian

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Does it do PIS settings for the clutches?

Taz
    Terry phillips

4. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    #4 Nick, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    The new old stock of SD2's is pretty much gone, anyone who may have one now is going to want allot of money for one, which is silly as there are some new tools coming on the market which will do allot more for less money. Brian, I will check with them on the dash & see what they say, it will do all the F1 clutches. It will also work E gear for Gallado & Murcielago as long as you have the software that was released in July 2009 with the new cables that were released at the same time.

We have sold quite a few ST05's, we will also have a new tool avail in the USA shortly which will have some serious tech support for independent shops, I am just finalizing the details. With respect to diagnostic tools we also offer a lease program, but you actually own the machine after the term.

Myself & Kurt White sell most of the ST05 tools here in the USA. There may be a few sold here & there by some others into the country, but most people purchase them from either Kurt or Myself. Factory support is slow & sometimes frustrating from the sales rep in Italy, so it is best to get the machine with all the software.

I only sell the ST05 machines will all the software that is avail when the machine is ordered. I do not try to sell the machine at a lower price & then up charge for the software that is not in the machine. Here is a link with some info, the ST05 cable PDF page will give you a good idea on what the machine will do.

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_064.htm

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    can somebody recommend a readily available, easy to use OBDII scan tool?

All I'm looking for is a basic, quality unit with a good (not cryptic) readout.

Best regards,
    Vincenzo

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Actron makes decent OBD2 scan tool

7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    On this page:
    http://www.palmerperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=51

it says:
    "...J2534 standards for all emissions related systems on all new vehicles starting with model year 2004. This standard enables independent service repair operators to program or reprogram (reflash) emissions related ECUs..."

Does that mean we can change our mixture settings on 2004+ F-cars?

Thanks,
    Vincenzo

8. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    No

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you have a laptop, I would recommend an ELM scanner. The hardware connects to your laptop, so you have a large, easy to read display. About $50 off Ebay, or $70 for a bluetooth version.

Or you can go to www.obdcom.com and get the whole shebang for $96 delivered, with slightly more sophisticated software.

The Palmer Engineering set up is nice too, but more expensive. I bought their software, and found it not very user friendly.

The ELM scan tools sold off Ebay come with some very easy to use freeware from scantool.net V1.13 which is an older unlocked version. Works great, and comes on a CD rom with the tool, but you can download it for free from multiple software sharing sites online.