Red F355 ... to Challenge or not ... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Red F355 ... to Challenge or not ...

Discussion in '348/355' started by yronZFF, Mar 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Great pic! :eek::eek:

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#27 Oengus, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Mine came from the factory red/challenge grill and I think it looks great, on any color. Definitely fits the style of the car.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +355! :eek::eek:

5. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I have a challenge grill that I have yet to install (purchased a few years ago). Considering painting it red to match the rest of the body. I think there have been a few strings on painted challenge grills... really on the fence with this one.

6. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    I will hopefully be switching from a standard to a Challenge grille soon on mine (also Rosso Corsa)... Get it done! :)

As for color-matched Challenge grilles, I didn't know anyone did that, until I saw this one a while back:

http://pics.niello.com/00118004i.jpg

I kinda like it in the blue like that, but I don't think I'd dig it if it was red...

7. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Wonder what the Challenge grill for the 355 costs?? And the installation fee?

8. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Ricambi has 'em here:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=252250

at $1,760 or so. A lot of coin for a perforated piece of metal, no doubt! According to my friend and mechanic, they've become very scarce now, and you'll have to pay about that much to get a new one now. Best chances are to find a front-end-wrecked F355 with one, and pull it from there. :(

9. dlynes

dlynes Formula 3

Oct 16, 2004
    Augusta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have the money go for it! Keep the OEM grill, do not mess it up and if you do not like it, you can switch it back out just as easily! Great mod that can always be undone if desire arises.

10. rbellezza

rbellezza F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    Henderson, NV
    Full Name:
    Roberto Bellezza
    Challenge, no second thoughts !

11. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Nice aesthetic change if you like the contrast look with Rosso Corsa. I'm not too sure just how functional the challenge grill is in regards to increased cooling of the engine bay. I've placed my hand behind the stock grill after significantly long spirited runs in 98 degree weather and there does not seem too be too much heat accumulated in this area. The heat shield above the muffler seems to insulate heat coming from the exhaust and the top vents in the engine bonnet seem to release most of the engine bay heat due to convection upwards. I suppose, with all of the 355 heat related problems to headers , cats, etc., I suppose any fraction of improved cooling may help. It does look really cool when you get close to the challeng grill and you can see the silouettes of the airboxes and other components through the challenge grill in the engine bay. I have always gone back and forth between wanting to get a challenge grill since I've had my car. If I did get one, I would most likely keep it black. Though, I would like to see pics of anyone who may have colored their challenge grill Rosso Corsa.

12. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #37 judd10, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks incredible - go for it.

14. Future ferrari collector

Oct 12, 2006
    IMHO, I think black is better.

15. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    At first I was hesitant about a black challenge grill. After it was installed now a convert. Black challenge grill on Rosso Corsa looks great!!! Come to think of it, looks good on any colour.

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Do it, get the Challenge grill, esp. in your state. How could you drive a car like that in such a hot humid place?! Egad, you prolly should add more heat shields while you're at it. I got homesick seeing your annual safety check sticker on the lower right of your bumper. sniff.