Buying a 308 in CA shipping to NC | FerrariChat

Buying a 308 in CA shipping to NC

Discussion in '308/328' started by fchip, Mar 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    Well it looks like I might be picking up my 308 from CA instead of MN! I just realized I haven't bought a car in a state other than my current residence before. What do I need to do when I buy the car? I know I need to make sure it is insured before transport, but what else am I forgetting? Thanks.

I have a large case of red fever! I want to have the car sitting in this empty garage ASAP.

Chip

2. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    #2 fchip, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Hi Chip,

The biggest thing in my mind is to coordinate the payment with the shipment. If you do not have a middleman (per se), then you can always arrange for the Cashiers Check to be overnighted and accepted by the Transport Driver somewhere at a predetermined place.
    In advance of that, your seller will want to have already verified the check with your bank, and may even ask for some time to deposit to their bank before the car leaves.

The other way is a prearranged wire queued up, and you push the button when the driver has inspected the car and begins loading.

I would have the driver take a Fed Ex packet with the title, Bill of Sale, etc and mail to you versus leave with the car.

As for insurance, the transporter is insured, but you can always get your own insurance just in case. Its only a week or two more.

My other recommendation is to spend $59.00 on a Title Guard Policy with www.autocheck.com This will give you unlimited VIN checks, and you can APPLY the Title Policy to your purchased vehicle. Trust me, in the case of any issue with titling, its well worth the money for piece of mind.

Best of luck. Drop me a PM if you want more info, or I think you still have my email at [email protected]

If its in Northern Cal, I am out in Cal nearly every week, and could offer some assistance possibly.

Regards, John
    303 378 0173

4. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    It is in Northern Cal, and I expect to be out there Wed and Thurs (17/18.) Let me know if you are around. Thanks as always for the help.

Chip

5. Lew L

Lew L Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2006
    Intercity is offering a deal to members of a certain F car site: $1499 to ship a car from coast to coast. That is a good deal from a very reputable transporter.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #6 Bullfighter, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
    Damn, is that snow in Raleigh? :(

With regard to the car, I bought my 328 from a dealer in NC and had it shipped to San Diego. I wired funds for the car, had the title and invoice FedEx'ed to me, and the let the dealer load up the car on the transporter in NC.

If it were me, and I was dealing with a private seller, I would fly out here, do the paperwork, take it with you in your briefcase, and load the car with whatever transport company you use (Intercity and FedEx Passport tend to have good reputations, and there are others -- the key is the carrier should have insurance for the car once they take possession.)

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Wow, nice shed ;)

Love the cabinets too, what brand/make are they?

Oh, and congrats on the 308 :)

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That 3 car garage qualifies as a residence in california. Nice pad.

9. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    I will be in Walnut Creek M-Wed afternoon that week. Perhaps we can meet and check out your new ride !!!

Flip me an email, and let me know the details of your whereabouts.

John

10. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    Yeah, that is our snow from last month. That 6" of snow shut us down for a week!

I'm out in CA every month so it makes a lot of sense to take care of the paperwork while I am out there. I am sure I can arrange transport with one of the reputable lines recommended by the guys here.

Can't wait to start playing with the car.

11. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    you need to get a lift in that garage with a residential side pull Liftmaster lift. Will raise you door to the ceiling and allow you to work on the car a lot easier.

12. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    You've got that nursery fixed up nicely for that 308, Chip! Post some delivery pictures on the due date.

Barry

13. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What flavor?? QV? Carb? ???

14. fchip

fchip Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Chip G
    Doug -

Tell me more about the residential lift or point me to a thread on that subject. I assumed that I couldn't put anything in given the garage door hardware blocking the space above the car. Thanks.

15. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    http://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-3800-Mounted-Residential-Jackshaft/dp/B000MT7WV4

this is the opener. You need to talk to a local garage door company. They will replace the tracks with a set that runs almost flush to the ceiling. By doing so, the door also is pulled higher on the front wall so there is less door at the ceiling when raised. The opener is mounted high on the wall and pulls from the bottom side of the door with a cable. You may also need an electrician to move the existing ceiling outlet toward the door for power. The opener is really trick. It makes very little noise and is self locking when lowered.

16. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #16 shmark, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    If you're buying from a private party, it's still easy. I've done it several times and the routine is the same. Do the deal in person and agree to everything up front, maybe leave a deposit if the owner wants it. Definitely get a copy of the title. When everything is ready, wire the funds and have the owner sign and Fedex the title to you. Arrange for the transport yourself and let the trucking company's insurance handle it all the way to your door - you don't need to be there for pickup if you've chosen a reputable company who's used to handling sports/exotics. You are not responsible for it until it's unloaded and you sign for it. FWIW I've used DeMoise Trucking and they did a wonderful job getting a Porsche 928 from Camarillo CA to Marietta GA with no problems at all and excellent service. They picked up on time and I got continuous updates from the driver so I knew exactly when and where he'd be to get my car.

[edit] and if your insurance is like mine (State Farm) then any car you purchase is automatically covered for 30 days. Get a quote certainly, so you know what you're in for, but you don't necessarily need to add it to your insurance before it is sent. The original owner and then the trucking company are responsible until it hits your door...figuratively.

17. jrairplane

jrairplane Rookie

Aug 13, 2009
    Chip, I have a 1985 308GTS I am thinking ablout selling. Red/Tan. The car is 20 minutes from Raleigh. PM me if interested.

Jim

18. gilligan308

gilligan308 Karting

Dec 8, 2008
    S.W.Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Chip,I have another 308 for sale in Florida. It's an 82' 308GTSi red with black, 26000 miles and can deliver it if needed.

19. 308gtsilover

308gtsilover Rookie

Mar 1, 2010
    Northern calif
    Full Name:
    Phillip
    Hello, Chip Im a newbie here but I live in northern calif and if you need any assistance while you are out here please let me know and I would be glad to help. I have relatives in Raleigh North Carolina and I love that part of the country...very beautiful.

Congratulations on your purchase and I love that garage that the car will reside in!
    Maybe you can post pictures of the car when you have the time.

Thanks!
    Phillip

20. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Chip.........congrats on the new purchase! It will surely fit well in that very nice looking garage of yours!

Whereabouts in Northern CA is the car coming from?

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Chip,
    Congrats on joining the 308 brotherhood here in NC! If you're back in NC on Sat 20th CAFE is have their Motori Italiani at 131 Main in Charlotte.Check out the info on the NC/SC section.If you make it,look me up and we'll check out all the Italian hardware and talk Ferrari.Again,welcome to Ferrari ownership.
    Bill