So where's SPEED TV? | FerrariChat

So where's SPEED TV?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Daryl, Mar 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I turned on the tube to watch F1 practice this morning only to see some lame NASCAR talent show with this redneck biker juggling chainsaws. What's the deal? Anybody heard an explanation?

2. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh

Just got finished watching it from 5am to 630am...

3. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    They were on as advertised...........way too early. :mad:

Speed is one of my least favorite channels the second F1 ends.

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Hah!!! Shame on me. I made the classic mistake of having my wife check the TV schedule last night. She added an hour to eastern time rather than subtracting one. I hang my head in shame. So what did Varsha have to say about USF1?

5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Will be re-aired, check the listings.
    Yourself;)

6. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh

Exactly what you would expect him to say, that starting an F1 team from scratch is a VERY difficult proposition and made even harder when you don't have an existing base of experience (personnel and team-wise) to draw from.

...basically what we've been saying on this board for many months.

Sorry you missed the practice session. Good luck with seeing the re-broadcast.

7. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Is there anywhere to DL or watch online? I checked speed and their is a link to watch, but it goes nowhere.

8. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Actually they aren't re-airing Practice (as far as I can find.) They do quali and the race.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Blonde? (I kid! I kid!)

10. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Looks like practice won't be re-aired. dang. overslept.

But qualy is on Sat morning at 0600 Eastern, and reshow at 10:30pm Eastern.

Race is 0730 Sunday, reshow 1:30pm Eastern.

Just remember to change to Daylight Savings Time!

11. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Trying to remember as it was early but they were talking at one point about how Ross Brawn is a great organizer/deligater (sp?), Hobbs made a comment that "supposedly one of the major issues at USF1 is that no one was deligating anything....." which was fairly critical, at that point Varsha cut him off and said "well, that was a new company and you have problems with any new company". May not be a word for word quote, but Varsha was making excuses, Matchett was quiet and Hobbs was as critical as could be without embarassing anyone.

12. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh

That is pretty much the way I remember it as well. I don't even recall them mentioning PW's name until almost the end of the broadcast. In fact, IIRC, they didn't even mention USF1 until deep into the show while commenting on the new teams. The first half of the show it was a topic they wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Can't say I blame them since it is definitely an awkward situation discussing a former fellow employee in a humiliating position...

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I also heard something about how they spoke with Windsor that morning, but the FIA had instructed everyone to refrain from any discussions about USF1 until further notice, or words to the effect. Sounds like another round of mumbo jumbo info control...I wonder how Matchett feels about the whole deal. He was either complicit or played as a fool when he conducted that tour and interview.

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    It was as Frank stated and there are also comments in the practice thread. Hobbs
    made many statements that were in error-inexcusable from a commentator. I hope that varsha has usfail1 out of his system and shuts up about it. Thank god pw wasn't on there. I would hate to puke on my computer.

Carol

15. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah well the FIA are talking for sure!

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/03/12/us-f1-failure-a-disappointment-says-jean-todt-as-investigation-begins/

16. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
  17. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You got that right Carol...it seems that Todt has gone out of his way to set a very different tone than the MM era. Smart move on his part...while we won't agree with every decision his administration makes, I have to say it's getting off to a pretty good start.

I've got SPEED's coverage of P2 DVR'd at home...will I be disappointed in the commentary (as compared to the usual mindless drivel that the three amigos provide)?

18. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Yes (sorry but you asked ! !) I really could not believe how off Hobbs was in several things he stated this morning - granted he didn't have oral diarrhea about usf1 like Varsha, but he did say some things in error.

Hopefully we won't hear mindless drivel for qualifying but instead commentary that is worthwhile. Today was like a chapter from Formula One for Dummies or worse yet, Days of Our Lives at the Track Segment One. One can always mute Speed and turn up the speaker on filmon ! !

Carol

FYI P3 is on the computers at 02:00 - 03:00 central time in the morning and DON"T FORGET TO CHANGE YOUR CLOCK TOMORROW NIGHT - wouldn't want to miss the race!!

Carol

19. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    YES THANK YOU! Putting the time change in my Blackberry now so I will remember to set my clocks. I would be royally upset if I missed part of the race on Sunday live (DVR is a backup.)

Be careful what you ask for, right :D That's a little disappointing because I always found the commentary during Practice to be a bit more in depth and engaging than the races themselves (perhaps geared more towards the viewer that's most likely to view on Fridays.) Maybe the boys are just a bit rusty from the off season ;)

I told my girlfriend about the 3AM (my time) start time for P3 and she's all for it! A keeper? (Just like you Carol!)

20. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Joe you definitely have a keeper there - she needs to get on here and join along with Isobel and myself ! ! oop's I almost forgot there's Jane in OZ too. FYI, there were a couple links to justintv for P1 and they lasted longer than usual, were off for a bit, but did return in some sort of language. If you have two computers, get her on one and by all means get her involved since she's all for the 3 am P3.

Carol

21. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great ideas...her only experience with racing has been IRL and NASCAR...but she's enthusiastic about the upcoming F1 season. Now that I'm thinking about it, SPEED's inane explanations of F1 basics may not be too bad for her....I know it helped me greatly when I first started watching the races.

Justintv is blocked here at work (bad for P2 today) but I certainly can try at home. Any language will do (English obviously being preferred.)

22. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Nope, a brunette. And fortunately a Summa Cum Lauda. She redeemed herself when she broght me a cup of tea and said, "I'm so sorry I messed up the time. It was late and I was tired. Oh, by the way, I set the Tivo to record all Formula One progams, so you should have it to watch whenever it's convenient." Sure enough, I have it recorded. She's a keeper!