308, reversed polarity jump starting... :( | FerrariChat

308, reversed polarity jump starting... :(

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by RedF355, Mar 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Okay, so the 1980 308 went with a friend for a weekend trip and even though the battery has never died for us, the battery required jump starting. The cables were not color coded and the cables were installed backwards. He discovered the problem, but was too late. It killed the alternator or rather the voltage regulator right off.

Now, prior to removal of the alternator, I also have NO power in the secondary fuse block. there are two of course, and left to right, the left one everything works, the right has no power. Also the generator light is on even with key out of the key hole. Tach doesnt work. car runs great, though never idles down now, assuming no power to aux air valve, etc.

Is there a main "fuse" or fuseable link somewhere that would knock out these things? I have the new alternator now and going to install tomorrow, but just wasnt sure if something else jumps out to anyone.

any input would be great! thanks.

2. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Regarding the alternator light...... I believe you'll find a small diode somewhere on the back of the instrument panel that has been damaged (now conducts in both directions). I'm guessing that replacing it will fix the alternator light always on problem once the other stuff is sorted out.

3. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Are there diodes or other parts that could have been damaged from the reverse polarity in the guages? None of the dash gauges work at all. Replaced alternator today and it is charging again, though still will not idle down. I can squeeze off the aux air valve rubber line and the idle drops as it should. It has power +12 going to the plug on the aux air valve... could it have been damaged?

everything else seems to work now, all lights, cooling fans, etc.. just no guages at all and no idle down.

any ideas would be great.

4. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Wiring differs with model. You mention 1980 308 GTS but further mention of Air Aux Valve become ambiguous as it's in the 1980 2V GTSI injected cars. Neither has diode in alternator circuit as does the later cars, i.e. 1983 QV. But carb cars have an air valve which runs from cat circuitry.

To be certain about the rest of the questions, please specify which car we're talking about.

Left fuse box fuses #3 & #7 + right #7 have +12v on fuses at all times. Other terminals get voltage from switches like ignition, headlight, turn signals and distribute it.

Gauges and electrovalves get voltage from left box fuse #2. Worth checking

5. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    It is a 1980 2 valve injected car. The fuses are good, I have check with ohm meter

6. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    No diodes in alternator light circuit. Your car could be a maverick as alternator light fuses were added in 1983. - other damage requires a wild conjecture.
    Gauges get their voltage from left box fuse #2 - measure voltage at the double green wire - fuse #2 bottom. Of course gauges also require a good ground, often use the multiple ground near the relay panel.
    The fast idle and air diverter electrovalve may have voltage on them but they don't become active until the coolant tank temperature sensor presents a ground to the valve when the engine is cold. Pull the connector plug off the tank sensor.

Don't know what else to suggest except you should be using a voltage meter at the fusebox rather than reading resistance. A fuse can be good yet a bad fuseholder not pass voltage on properly. And fuse #2 draws my attention as it is suspiciously involved with many of your problems, including the alternator light connects there too.

And having a decent readable wiring diagram is mandatory...I can read mine for you but am out of info.

7. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You were absolutely correct. the fuse was making poor contact. It cured most symptoms, except the alternator light. It is off while the car is running, but when you turn the key off, it lights up and stays lit even after you remove the key.

Any ideas there?

thanks a lot !!

The tach also is VERY slow responding now.... could have been damaged by the backwards current?

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Did you replace the alternator with a new one? If it is a used one, did you verify the diodes are good?

9. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Yes it was a new one. I suppose it could possibly be bad, who knows, but it does charge correctly. Just red light when you shut car off and remove key

10. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Glad to hear about fuse #2. There were just too many arrows pointing suspiciously at it.

Re the alternator light. When you turn the ignition on to start the car, battery voltage goes to the alternator's charging circuit THROUGHT the alternator warning light. Once the alternator start to work properly, the charging circuit voltage gets supplied to the charging circuit by the alternator itself. So the alternator light has a necessary function besides being a warning light.

Were I there I'd immediately check the alternator (new or not) condition by measuring the battery voltage before you start continuously until 4-5 minutes after you start. A good alternator (and battery) would present 12.6V before starting and between 13.6V and 14.4V after starting. Plus, voltage should stay above 13V at 2k rpm with the headlights on and never exceed 14.4V.

And there is some chance you connected the alternator wrong. The yellow wire with green stripe at the alternator...if you connected it to ground somehow, or if that terminal is grounded, the alternator light would act EXACTLY as you described. But the alternator would give full output and soon expire.

And there is some chance the alternator is good but the wrong type i.e. has an incorrect output monitor presenting a ground causing the same symptoms. These are the reasons I suggest doing a voltage check to make certain the alternator functions correctly.

11. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    okay, voltage sitting with the car off, etc is 12.2 volts. Battery is brand new, just got it, charged it, and installed it. Nice gel red top battery. When starting the car, the voltage drops to 11.5 then comes back up at idle to 12.8. When i hold it at 2k it is 13.4. Never exceeds 13.4 with everything on, etc.

I will have to check the wiring on the alternator. The new alternator did not come with the diode or whatever the external piece is that is bolted to the alternator and plugged into one of the terminals on the alternator. Could that be bad and casue this? What is it if I was to replace it? Could it be plugged into the wrong terminal? What terminal does it get plugged into? The wires from the car, there are only two. The big one goes on the bolt with the nut, the other just plugs in the only space available.

thanks again for all the help, i am almost there again....

12. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    to make sure I explained correct.

1. With car off keys in my pocket the light "G" is on. Alternator light.

2. Turning the key to the "On" position it goes out.

3. Starting the car it maintains UNLIT.

4. Turn car "OFF" it lights back up.

5. Key out, in pocket... stays lit.

13. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    One more. When i got the alternator, and discovered the one piece wasnt included, after installing the one from the old alternator, took the alternator to the auto parts store and had it tested. I did this because I wasnt sure what the little piece attached to it was.

So since it tested good, i installed it.

I did have the old alternator tested too, and it was definately bad.

14. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    any photos?

15. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    No photos yet, but the smallo peice bolted to the alternator is the size of a dime or so with one wire attaching to it. It is NOT the voltage regulator i am referring. (black box that goes inside with the two screws attaching)

maybe the new alternator didnt need that piece?

lost....

16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Any writing/making on the dime-sized part?

17. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #17 RedF355, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    okay, so alternator off for photos. the yellow / green wire when I remove it with the battery attached to the car, the light on the dash turns off. The other part looks like a capacitor maybe?

the pic with the wires attached it how i have it. Apears the only way it will go?

so again, if battery connected to the car, the G light is on until you turn the key on or start. If the yellow wire removed from the alternator the light goes out.

thanks again guys.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Can you read what is written on the little black box? (can't see it well in the photo). You're probably right about it being a capacitor.

19. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #19 Paul_308, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    Your alternator output voltages are low but that could just be your voltmeter. True voltage of 12.2v for a fully charged battery would mean the battery is bad...it's only a few tenths but it should be 12.6v to 12.8v, not 12.2v. Can you borrow another voltmeter? AND do the same voltage test on your other cars for comparison. Since you know they work ok that will give you some assurance and experience on what a good battery/alternator does.

The small black plastic box in the photo is the radio noise suppression capacitor and not important (has no function) at this point. It should be in place once you've solved the main alternator warning light ?on/off? problem.

You said the light goes out when you disconnect it from the alternator so the wire isn't shorted somewhere on it's way to the dash. Were it pinched to ground, the warning light would work as you described.

I still think the alternator diodes or regulation circuitry is bad. Low voltage reading might be throwing me off but there isn't anything else to cause this problem. Please post your new readings (other car, other voltmeter).

Preaching the dangers of jump starting often takes an incident. Be glad you didn't do this to a modern car holding 12 computers.

20. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    other car i tested showed 12.6 and 13.8 running. So the good news is my $130 meter works... but the bad news is?

brand new battery bad causing problems? Hard to imagine, but hey, i am game for anything. When you rev the car up the voltage slowly comes up. All aside though the light is on even with the keys out of the car.... the generator light I mean.

Would bad battery cause that light to be on?

21. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Daily update.

Again, the wisdom here befouls me... the brand new battery tested BAD. So installed new optima red top battery, (tested good ...haha), and still the light. Remove the yellow and green wire from the alternator it goes out.

last straws.... battery measure 12.5, brand new, etc.... bad new alternator? Had alternator tested at the local o reillys and they say it is fine load tests and voltage tests are good... (didnt come from them of course)

22. RedF355

RedF355 Karting

Mar 1, 2004
    Seymour, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Todd
    just for fun, the alternator that tested good at the parts store, was actually bad. I ordered another one and it cured all the problems.

23. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #23 ME308, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    unbelievable...
    sometimes I really wonder what those guys are doing all day long...

where are we going if we alway have to check & control the - often payed for - work
    by the "profs" ??

24. Sandeman

Sandeman Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Belgium
    Dear Todd,
    Yesterday, I had exactly the same problem with the same model of véhicle (ferrari 308 gtsi of 1980). Backwards of cables because not colour coded with the same consequences like you !!! :-( Do you remember what you have to change of pieces and if the problem was easy to solve ??? Many thanks for your help
    Frederic

25. Sandeman

Sandeman Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Belgium
    Dear Todd,
    Yesterday, I had exactly the same problem with the same model of véhicle (ferrari 308 gtsi 2V of 1980). Backwards of cables because not colour coded with the same consequences like you (red light generator is on with key out of the key hole)!!! :-( Do you remember what you have to change of pieces and if the problem was easy to solve ??? Many thanks for your help
    Frederic