348 Gear shift assembly broken | FerrariChat

348 Gear shift assembly broken

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by SFchallenge, Jun 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Anyone knows where I can find the gearshift assembly? My gear shift stick's assembly broke on the base when I engaged 1st gear. Classic act like Mr Bean's show but true!

I had to drag my poor car on 1st gear for 200m before finding a lot to park.

My mechanic said he's never seen such a problem on any cars for the past 15yrs with 5yrs @ Ferrari's workshop. Basically, the screwthread tube joining the gear box holding the stick broke. My stick's fine. Now I got to find the assembly or strip the old piece & machine, screw & thread it again.

Anybody's got experience with this or knows where I can find? Thanks!

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Personally, I think that's the answer. But, you can always try the junkyard route: www.ferrariservice.ws They've got a 348 they're parting out right now. From the pictures, their car looks quite rough but perhaps they've got other sources.

-Daniel

3. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
  4. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I can beleive it. Mine is hard to get in 1st when cold. I can see it flexing.

5. cal355

cal355 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Cal
    ferrari dealer should have the part,very expensive.Comes as a complete assembly including shift cables.Tyr Lyle Tanner at ferraripartsexchange.com.

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I had this exact thing happen to me, but going into 2nd gear. I took it apart and fixxed it. In order to get it out you have to take it out from the bottom of the car. It's no big deal, and should take you about 30 to 45 minutes to get it out. Get the car in the air and remove the cover that runs along the bottom of the car. You will also want to disconnect the linkage from the gear box. Remove the shift ball, and then the four nuts that hold it in place on the bottom of the car. Now just drop it out the bottom. Now that you have it out you will see the screw that runs throught the middle of the shifter. This next step you need to do in a box because there is a spring that is inside the shift assembly. Remove the bolt that runs through and then take it appart. Now you will have the shift handle out. Take it to a machine shop and have them machine out the little stub that is at the base of the leaver. Now you put the long piece that is still good in the hole, that was machined out, and then weld it in place. If you want to, you can pollish out the weld. Now put it back together, and your good to go. The whole thing cost me NOTHING, NADA, ZILCH, FREEBEE to get fixxed. That and now I have a custom short shifter. LOL. Happy fixxing.

7. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #7 ExcelsiorZ, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, like something out of a cartoon, I was merging onto the 10 Freeway from Santa Monica during rush hour when I shift into third gear and the knob and shaft came off in my hand! WTF! I was taking a friend home from an outpatient medical produre so I was driving pretty relaxed at the time. Can you imagine what it's like to sit there in merging freeway traffic looking at your passenger while they stare at you with your Ferrari's shift knob and shaft in hand?

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening before?
    Suggestions on fixing? Welding doesn't look so good, or am I wrong?
    How about threading it and drilling out the other end and threading it?
    How much is involved in pulling the shifter arm from the shifter assembly?
    Thanks in advance!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    excelsior

how the 355 powered 308 running these dayz?

did u ever turboed it?

a 355 powered 308 is something id interested doing down the road.

cheers

hf

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Like I said. It's happened to me twice.

10. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Bugger! :(:(

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
  13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ernie, is there anything that has NOT happened to your 348?

With what you have been through, I believe you can take the 348 apart and put it back together with your eyes closed, blindfolded, with one arm behind your back, while walking to school and back home uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes on....

14. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    You have no idea Mike.

My car is the biggest pile of crap I have ever owned. I just keep it because I have too much time and money into the thing. Plus I like helping you guys out with what ever little information I learn while working on my lump. I should just part the thing out, and be done with it, but I'm to stubborn.

Back to the bad shift lever.

The problem is that the lever is only plated in chrome. The metal under it is JUNK. So what happens is as you are shifting the chrome plating wears out. Well once it wears to the point the cheap metal on the inside is taking all the abuse........ well, SNAP the lever comes off in your hand. It really needs to be a good hardened steel and chrome plated.

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting problem....I have seen this happen on a couple 348's I know of. And the 1987 328GTS I previously owned had a well worn notch in the base of the shaft from wear. But my 1978 308GTS never had any wear like that. Nadda. The next owner of my 328GTS got nervous about it and had it replaced by our mutual Ferrari tech who stated he thought someone may have actually ground on it, trying to improve shifting, rather than adjust the linkage properly.

Never seen or heard of an issue with the 355 before...

16. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I feel for you Brother...and I am glad you decided to keep it, you are right about having too much time and money into it to simply get rid of it...you are an asset to us, that is a fact. :)

17. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    +1! :eek::eek:

18. magspider

magspider Karting

Oct 25, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    Ralph
    #18 magspider, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice lookin out Ralph, but the 355 and 348 shift levers are not interchangeable. Even though the shafts look similar (like dry spaghetti), the guts are engineered differently.

20. Philip Barnard-Browwn

Feb 25, 2007
    london.
    Full Name:
    Philip Barnard-Brown
    #21 Philip Barnard-Browwn, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yet another gear shift has befallen to this affliction. Help are there any reasonably priced spare parts out there? Repair or replace?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Im a cheap prick, id try and have it welded before buying new parts. :eek::eek:

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    IMO it is faster to weld it and if the weld is visible from the gate send it out to plated. There is somone in every major city that can to both jobs.

23. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Well, this is were the F1 has the advantage. :)

24. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It's worth trying but I wouldn't expect a weld in such a high stress place to last long.