Original QV Steering Wheel? | FerrariChat

Original QV Steering Wheel?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308 GTB QV, Mar 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    I recently bought my 308 GTB QV and it´s totally original as I wanted it, except for the Nardi Steering Wheel. Nothing bad with it, but I really like the original one seen on pictures. Does anyone know where I could find one (since it´s a QV it´s the black steering wheel)

2. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #2 viper_driver, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think you have 2 options.

1. If you really, really want the original wheel, you'll have to find someone willing to sell you theirs from their QV. Then, you'll have to have it refurbished. I'm guessing ~$800-1000 by the time you buy this rare wheel and get it refreshed.

2. You could buy a new Momo Monte Carlo. It looks 90% original, is easily available, and costs about $150.

Here's a photo of my car as I bought it with the original wheel (now in a box) and the Monte Carlo I installed.

Good luck,
    Jason
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #3 308 GTB, Mar 3, 2010
    308 GTB QV,

MOMO marketed that wheel in the 1980s as the Veloce Leather. Refine your eBay search. Perhaps one will turn up.

Barry

4. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    have one, pm me

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    If you have a Nardi now,there must be an adapter mounted on the coluum to convert it from the original Momo pattern to Nardi pattern,correct?
    B.

6. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    an adaptor is on it now maybe, to be revomed or you need the original wheel boss

7. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    I was thinking about that, if some adjustments were needed in order to fit the standard steering wheel again. Thanks for all the answers!

Currently I´m tracking the previos owners here in Sweden, trying to see where the steering wheel went. Maybe somebody replaced it with the Nardi to keep the original as a memory. If I cant find it I will have to consider bying the new one or a used. The new one looks close enough to the original for me, but it feels a bit strange with a new steering wheel in an old car...Something to think about until the snow has melted :) First I need to replace my original tires fom -85, scary to drive now!

8. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    Is there any way I can check if there is an adaptor currently used for the Nardi? Any pictures available on how the original steering wheel set up looks like?
    If I there is an adaptor, the question is, do I need anything more in order to fit a original steering wheel again, or can I simply remove the adaptor and just put the original back on?

9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    the original should screw right onto the hub. it's very simple.

10. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #10 dave80gtsi, Mar 16, 2010

I think that you are making this too hard.

"Search" is your friend, but to summarize, you will have either a Nardi or a Momo hub on your 308.

Easy way to tell at a glance:

Nardi wheel - first picture below with slotted spokes. With wheel straight ahead, look at the position of the six (6) bolt holes. There will be holes at 3 and 9 o'clock, none at 12 and 6 o'clock

Momo wheel - second picture below (Momo Prototipo wheel) with holes in spokes. Bolt holes at 12 and 6 o'clock, none at 3 and 9 o'clock.

The pictures previously posted above in Post #2 in this thread are therefore obviously of a Momo wheel.

The c/c bolt hole distance of the Momo and the Nardi are different, so it's not just a simple matter of reindexing the hub and then bolting either wheel of your choice to your hub. An adaptor is required to fit one wheel onto the other's hub, and eBay as one source always has dozens of these adaptors for sale cheap at any given time.

Cheers - DM

11. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks a lot for the picure and information! :)
    I just assumed that since the original steering wheel was a Momo, an adaptor would not be needed, but now I undertand that I need to get one if replacing my Nardi.
    By the way, that Nardi steering wheel on the picture is REALLY nice!

12. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I have the steeringwheel and the hub complete with hornbutton

13. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    I wonder if 308 QV has the same steering wheel as 328...atleast it looks like that on pictures.

14. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    Check your messages ;-)

15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Dave, sorry to go off subject, but i love the red needles on your gauges,nice touch!
    B.

16. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Those are VDO gauges, which I have swapped for the OEM Veglia ones.

More detail than you'd ever want to know can be found in this old thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59100

Now, almost 5 years later, I still love them, and would do this swap again in a heartbeat if I were to buy another 308.

Cheers - DM

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yes, I really like it. My 308 had an OEM all-black interior, and the similar OEM black Nardi wheel spokes (as well as the OEM black gauge fascia) were just too dark for me - it felt like I was sitting in a coal mine.

The silver spoked Nardi wheel was fitted as factory OEM to a small handful of the very early "i" series cars, but this was soon switched to the all-black spoked version.

In any case, I bought the silver Nardi wheel new on eBay a number of years ago, and have safely stored the black OEM wheel away for the next owner.

I also have a separate Nardi ---> Momo adapter / spacer, which allows the use of the Momo Prototipo wheel that was shown in the second picture.

The point is that, with 5 minutes work with an Allen wrench, I can simply swap to black Nardi / silver Nardi / silver Momo ... whichever one strikes my mood at the time!

Cheers - DM