Ferrari will soon be all hybrid? | FerrariChat

Ferrari will soon be all hybrid?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cosmicdingo, Mar 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cosmicdingo

cosmicdingo Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Clemson SC
    Full Name:
    E Evans
  2. toovo1985

toovo1985 Karting

Feb 19, 2010
    yeah...they presented the first hybrid at Geneva...but it is still far away from other makes. Its a first step...don't know if it is just marketing speaking...Ferrari is still Ferrari...and it doesn't sell because it is a green brand...but because of the car's performance and design...

but nevertheless it's good to see something coming to green path that has been followed by several automakers. Porsche and Lotus are also creating hybrid vehicles!!! Porsche 918 and 911 GT3 hybrid, Lotus 414E Hybrid

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hybrid Ferraris... pfffft. :rolleyes:

Sorry, can't think of anything more eloquent to say on the subject. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Ferrari hybrid.

a Ferrari hybrid.

Ferrari, making a hybrid.

I need to leave this topic....

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think it's going to be the new normal.

From what I have read (obviously haven't driven it...), the Porsche 918 Spyder prototype delivers the goods with regard to performance and efficiency. Both of those traits bode well for performance/competition cars.

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    For sure.....

8. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    #8 Jaws, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    The latest EVO (142, page 015) says that the Enzo replacement due in 2012 will feature HY-KERS. It's the new golden age of the automobile my friends. It's very exciting once you think outside the box.

9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Maybe we can also get our own KERS systems, complete with a DVD of Bob Varsha
    explaining what the little battery symbol means

:D

Jedi

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    If its something among the lines of KERS (which weighed around 35 kgs) it won't bother me much.

If its filled with stupid batteries I'd get a hammer and get it all out the second I'd purchased one. Too heavy.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All I can say is I am happy I am nearing the end of my career. I really feel sorry for the kids now. Oh well, I guess they always have video games.

12. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Take a bus or a train if it comes to that.

13. RSQP

RSQP F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Beaker
    I think the cars are trying to mimic the video games.

Mechanical issues can sometimes be fixed on the spot and diagnosed by deduction and logic. Electrical and programming issues can be extremely difficult to pinpoint, and the cause/effect isn't always so evident. Furthermore, the deduction and logic ends up at a control unit that will only show the problem if the proper measurements are being recorded.

It's interesting how the various manufacturers have taken to the hybrid concept - some have focused on the ecological aspect, while others (i.e. Porsche + Ferrari) announce, although it will be more fuel efficient, there's some serious power to be had at the wheels.

I don't imagine the long-term desirability of these cars will remain. It will be like buying a 5 year old desktop computer.

14. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    Hybrids make some sense for a DD if extra cost is not too high, and mileage improves quite a bit. For a Ferrari, I don't like the idea, but I also don't like the idea that Ferrari may do away with manual transmissions in the future, either.

Suspect the competition may be going this way. Having a couple hundred extra ft-lbs of torque from zero speed for 5 sec or so is hard to make up with just an IC engine. So I suspect it will be more like F1 KERS. But I'm with Rifledriver re: kids. Just don't see it being as much fun as the '60s or '70's.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    +1 You know. A lot of us are saying this regardless of what they do.

Dale

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We'll always have classic cars. I can't think of any modern supercars I yearn after to own the way I do with Ferraris of the 1990s.

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Why would anyone buy a Ferrari hybrid? Why would you spend a lot of money on a Ferrari hybrid?

18. f-man

f-man Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 10, 2008
    canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hybrid is going to suck... just like the cars with overzealous traction control. Takes the driver out of picture...as the internet will one day complete the loop.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    It is going to be necessary to pass euro emission laws, althoughg quite superflous in a limited use performance car. On the other hand done right It can add additional elements of performance, at the loss of "drama"

20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed....bad idea.

21. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Exactly.

So far I think you're right. I'm interested to see whether Porsche can deliver on the 918 Spyder and make it a car that we would actually WANT just because it's great to drive.

If the power source is transparent, I might be convinced.

But as Neuro implies, I think we're past the point where what comes next can ever replace what has come in the past.

22. Carbonero

Carbonero Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2009
    Troll Free Zone
    Full Name:
    Bill
    ALL hybrid? I don't see that at all.

Perhaps a model or two will have the option, just to keep the greenies happy. I don't believe demand will be much, as hybrid or no, they'll still be out of most people's reach, perhaps even more so.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Ferrari, Lamborghini, and such, are pretty much exempt from green mandates due to the low production when compared to the Big 3 and the Japanese.

Isn't that what the "gas guzzler" idea was about?

23. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We all love the sound a Ferrari can produce, and I can only imagine how that would be lost...