Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB | FerrariChat

Ferrari Daytona 365 GTB

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by lotustt, Mar 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I am not sure of the exact model name but I have a customer who is interested and will be looking at a 1969 Ferrari Daytona. What can I tell him to look for and to look out for with these cars? Anything in particular? Are matching numbers very crucial with these cars as well?
    He told me the asking price of this particular car is near $300 thousand, is this fair, to high?
    I will forward to him any and all info.
    Thanks!
    Tom

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    300k should buy you a very very nice Daytona in today's market.

It will be hard for us to tell you if that is too much or not as we dont know anything about the car he is interested in.

3. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Out of curiosity, what value are you adding?

Peter

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #4 BigTex, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    ...wear and rust.......condition condition condition.

Daytonas are pretty rusty......

Search down for some threads we have discussed almost all of them on Public Offer right now......

IIRC 275GTBs were the last "numbers matching' Ferraris...

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Does your customer want a Euro or US Daytona?

6. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  7. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Thanks guys so far. He has never been in the Ferrari world as he says so he is not sure what to look for. He would like a good car for the spring summer and fall as he is having a Porsche Speedster restored to his liking. He was told about this car so he thought to maybe give it a try. He has not seen it yet I do not believe.
    As to the other poster asking what value I am adding? I am looking to help him out and provide any info that I can. He asked me if I knew anything about these particular cars. I told him I do not and naturally thought to ask here. I know where the car is and maybe someone knows of it but I would rather not broadcast it on here as the seller may not want it public. And I am not positive this potential interested party will commit to it just yet.

Thanks very much!
    Tom

8. Telerding

Telerding Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    Santa Maria/CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Elerding
    Alternate: "365 GTB/4" Both "B 4" and "B/4" were used in print in factory publications.

9. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Daytona's are not "matching numbers" in the sense of having an engine number the same as the chassis (although very early cars did) however the engine and gearbox are numbered and very much "match" the car they left the factory in. It is important to verify that you have everything correct.

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    The 365 GTC, GTS, GT 2+2, still had matching numbers. With very early Daytonas apparently having matching numbers too, it seems that Ferrari changed its policy in 1969 or 1970. I wonder why they did that.

Onno

11. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Daytona s/n was stamped in the engine block for probably the first 1/4 or so of the production. My 14729 was the 648th (by S/N) made and does not have the S/N on the block

12. toparkt

toparkt Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2006
    orange county
    Full Name:
    Andrew Goetz
    I am in the hunt also for a Daytona. Does anyone know how many
    were build with the "Typo A" engine ? I was told this was a Factory
    high(er) preformace option
    Any infor on this

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It does not add any value to a car to stamp more numbers in final stage of assembly. There may have been some sense in stamping the chassis number to engine as long as the cars were frequently torn apart at the racing division. Best wishes, Kare

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Folklore.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My understanding is that the "A" designation meant that it was a euro car with popup headlights.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks to everybody, as this OP sounded like he "needed the info" on the numbers stamping situation.....

Also agree the Factory can give you the info on what "numbers do match".....very important to value...

Unless you have some King Hell crate motor or something Enzo sent "special delivery".....LOL!

17. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    From my experience factory only deals with owners, but several individuals here can say if a given engine number is in the ball park or not.

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #19 Wheels1, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    14729 , your engine number should be somthing like B 1300, as a very rough guide. [ am i close]?
    Chassis number 14539 has an engine number of B 1246,
    and chassis number 14383 engine number is B 1174
    I don't know any earlier than that, so they could match chassis numbers!
    What is the chassis number of the car in question?

It also looks like most engines are stamped "FERRARI 251" as mine is, under the engine number, some people have given this as their engine number!
    Grant

19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    251 is the TYPE number of the Daytona engine. NOT the internal engine number. All standard production Daytonas have a type 251 engine.

Marcel Massini

20. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Like F106AB for the 308, or 128DF for the 250 California Passo Corto if I understand?

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes.

Marcel Massini

22. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France

Thank you Mister Massini :)
    I love Daytonas, in dark blue, red... :)

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The talk here has been mostly about the numbers which are important to judge if the car is original or repaired and rebuilt with replacement parts.
    A few fundamental observations if your friend actually wants to use the Daytona.
    First unlike the similar period 365 GTC/4 the Daytona has no power steering. Also the ignition system can be troublesome if the battery gets low. Converting the ignition to modern solid state parts can provide greater reliability for occasional use. If the battery charge gets too low it could fry the ignition otherwise. Another modern benefit; it also helps keep the spark plugs clean. You have 12 of those to contend with! If the 1969 Daytona has been restored then you need to look at how the rust that typically forms in the body was repaired. Some people put a price premium on the original paint color and interior color for a restored Daytona to. While your friend may not consider restored to original condition important it may effect the selling price. Cars that have a change of color from original may lower the value for the next buyer when your friend decides to sell in the future.
    The Euro Daytona coupe started production in 1969 but the American version Daytona did not appear until 1971. There are a number of mechanical and visual differences between the two versions such as engine exhaust size and pollution controls plus side marker lights and headlight system. Covered lights for the early Euro cars and pop up headlights for all the later models including all USA market models.
    CH

24. romangol

romangol Rookie

Mar 18, 2010
    Full Name:
    Roman
    Anybody knows some history about this car?
    thanks