Windshield Tear Offs | FerrariChat

Windshield Tear Offs

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by WCH, Mar 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Anyone use them? I've been driving open top cars for a while, so I'm unfamiliar with this product. I've seen Racing Optics tear offs advertised. A hassle? Do anything to protect to the windshield, or really just designed for a quick and easy pitstop cleaning? FWIW my car is a 430C. Thanks.

2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    We use Pro-Tint for all our (and most all Nascar teams here in the Mooresville area.)They install usually 4 layers per race and we install the ''pull tabs'' on the drivers side top corner,for the crew to use to remove on stops.I believe they would be an advantage on any type of car that the windshield becomes dirty,oily and accumulates bits of thrown off rubber from the track.In our world they are invaluable.Pricing here runs approx $80.00 a layer installed.Several companies offer them and the install service, or you can buy the material and do it yourself and save a few bucks. A 430 would be no different,just a different cut/fit. The tearoff goes on just like window tint/film,usually with a soapy liquid and a squeege.Seems like since you would (i believe) be running a ''glass'' windshield it would be a great money saver,where ours are Lexan and are changed every other race anyway. Hope this helps in some way.
    Good luck!
    B.

3. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Hope this helps in some way."

It does, thanks for the reply.

4. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I also thought about using windshield tear-offs but in the end I just ended up buying new aftermarket Lexan windshields for about $470 at end of the race season. Hard coating quality seems at least equal to or better than OEM.

5. james patterson

james patterson Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 8, 2003
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    James Patterson
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm shedding weight off my road car 360 (so far 150kg's removed) for improved handling characteristics, I've seen real improvements in trackdays and generally the car really feels better even in normal road use.

Any idea how much weight the Lexan front windshield saves over the stock 360/430 Windshield? Also why does Ferrari not fit scratch proof clear film on lexan parts such as side windows, rear engine lid and front screens?

Aside from Legal regulations (Lexan windows are road legal in some euro countries) is there any reason why a lexan front screen (scratch proof laminated) couldn't be used on a road car? Or is this just a very bad idea?

Also do you have the source (pm if you want) for those Lexan windshields @ $470 ?

Thanks,

Trev

7. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full.

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Try again, sorry I get a lot of PM's!

9. Scuderia-San-Antonio

Feb 27, 2005
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Wes
    anyone have any luck finding these? I emailed the dudes about some for my 348 and so far...nada.

10. uss tt

uss tt Karting
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2006
    GMT-6
    optical clarity tends to be quite poor on Lexan, with distortions being a big issue in a front screen...the tear offs don't help, as they are quite bubbled, even with the best application.

the tear offs are only helpful to delay the inevitable, which is the costly replacement of the front windscreen.

11. Bahb7

Bahb7 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 8, 2011
    Boston, MA area
    I realize this is a bit of an old posting.....Could you provide the source for the lexan front windshields for $470 for a F430 challenge?

Thanks!