3M Film paint protection f430 | FerrariChat

3M Film paint protection f430

Discussion in '360/430' started by rppt, Mar 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rppt

rppt Rookie

Mar 18, 2010
    NE PA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Is it advisable to install 3m film on bumper , rocker panels ,etc, etc. What are pros and cons. I was told 3 m is the best doesn't yellow. What should it cost ? any with avery vinyl
    what do you folks think ??? good ,great? how much of the car do you cover? thanks for you're insight Randy in PA

2. vegas

vegas Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Australia
    #3 vegas, Mar 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mate I had it put on my 360 and it works very well, though it's only been 6 months.

A word of warning: DON;T let metholated spirits or any other solvent near it. It literally wipes the gloss of it and there is no way of fixing it. A firend of mine used Metho to remove some small greasy marks and checked the 3M website first - it says it's 'solvent resistant' it's most definatly not.

Having said that, I think it;s a great product and almost invisable - it's accross the front bumper, 1/3 of the bonnet and the back of the mirrors on mine.

Cheers Vegas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've covered my bumper, fenders, hood, rocker panels, A-pillars, etc. and it's saved my many a respray. I'm definitely in favor. :)

4. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    As above. Should cost anywhere between $700-$2000 depending on exact coverage and who you use. Premier is one of the top places.

5. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've also heard good things about Premier. I've used Sean at Ultimate Shield in Orange for my last 2 cars and have been extremely pleased with the quality of the install and service. :)

6. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    I have Lamin-X installed on my F430. The material used with Lamin-X is a better overall material than the 3M or other kits out there. It handles the abuse a lot better and will not yellow over time. I have seen where guys who track their cars with Lamin-x will simply wash off the crap they get on the front of the car after a track weekend with easy. Some of the other stuff out there it wasn't that easy. One guy I know with a brand new Turbo Porsche had the 3M stuff on his front end at the track. After the weekend was finished he had lots of black rubber marks and such all over the front of the vehicle (typical for a track weekend). The problem was the rubber marks stained the 3M protection on his car. He could not get the black spots off the clear protection. So he got it completely redone again.

7. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I had the "full frontal" done on both F430 and Gallardo.

Full hood, fenders, bumper, rockers, a-pillars, mirrors and all forward facing or high-impact areas.

You will feel SO much more confident driving your car knowing all but a huge stone will simply bounce off the plastic.

If you're in the Bay Area or LA... you've simply got to use Premier:

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/

These guys are the best around.

Good luck,
    Frank

8. Hitch-Hiker

Hitch-Hiker Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2010
    Live at the Office
    Full Name:
    HH
    Mine just got done today at the dealer as a last step before its shipped my way! The installer they recommended uses ventureshield http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/ The past day or so, I have researched a bit about them and 3m and which I wanted to go with. Read all the threads suggested in the #2 post

I of course have zero experience, but wanted to offer a bit of my research.

I did the full front clip, lower rockers, around door handles and the rear deck lid where the top sits when up and leaves marks on the deck (every one I had look at did anyway)

9. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Forget 3M clear film!!!!!!!!! That stuff has so much orange peel and it does yellow in time.

Go for the latest version of Venture Shield. I just had it put on my resprayed M5 front bumper. It looks like a clear coat. It is so smooth!!!!!

Also the installer can make a big difference in a fine looking job or just crap.