Anyone collect Hess cars? | FerrariChat

Anyone collect Hess cars?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Gilles27, Mar 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I had never heard of these until Christmas. My mom sent one for our son as a present--every year they design a truck or racer and release a limited number. Last year's was really cool, featuring a LeMans-style racer in Hess livery (about 1:12 scale) with an opening bonnet that holds a smaller version of the same car. It was funny because I didn't know there was a second car inside the big one until I heard my 3 year-old son from across the room "Wait a minute...there's ANOTHER car..." The smaller one is a pull-back car and both have flashing lights, etc. I was surprised at the quality--both are really solid. When he opened it at first it looked like a cheap gas station toy. But the website shows their different models through the years, dating back to the mid-60's. Sorry if I sound like a shill-I've just never heard of these until recently but they seem to have their own niche market.

http://www.hesstoytruck.com/

2. hd4meat

hd4meat Rookie

Apr 23, 2005
    SF/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    HD
    They're great. I've picked one or two up every year for the past 20 or so years. It has become a tradition in our family.

3. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I stayed with a friend with his uncle in NYC who worked at Hess downtown. He took us to his office about 50 floors or so up. They had several of the cars/trucks displayed, but this was before I was into collecting.

4. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My grandpop bought me everyone since the Fire Truck in 1971, in fact he bought two of each, one he gave me, and I found the duplicates in his attac after he died. I have made sure to buy them ever since and now my dad makes sure to get one to play with and one to keep every year for my boys! A few years were kind of silly and looked like cheap chinese toys but in fact they are all amazing quality.

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hiya, yes our family had an antique business years ago, now all the inventory ended up in my parent's basement. We must have 20-30 Hess trucks new in box. Some come with race cars, helicopters, police cars ect...If anyone wants any of them, PM me.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Same here. I also have a 1976 NIB and the 2 of the training vans.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dennis, Mitch.... those are both cool stories man, bust out some pics!!!

I haven't noticed these before.....